The Kahr I've Always Wanted! (K9 Range Report)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

The Kahr I've Always Wanted! (K9 Range Report)

Post by Old No7 »

It took me many Kahrs and many more years to finally get the one that I really wanted...

I always held off on buying a new Kahr K9 -- not that I really saw all that many for sale over the years -- the few that I did see for sale as new or used were all black, while I wanted a classic stainless K9. I figured if I was patient enough I'd find one a decent used one at a good price some day...

Well, that day has finally arrived! As I found this little-used 1999-vintage K9 in great shape the other day, and as the price was only $350 with 2 mags -- I just had to have it!

This is THE KAHR that I've always wanted... The original all-stainless Kahr K9.

Not counting the P- and CW380's that I've had (and since sold), my history with Kahr firearms includes:
* Starting off with a used PM9 (but that was later sold to my now son-in-law)
* Moved up to a used P40 Covert (which proved to be a little "too snappy" for me)
* And then I found a nice used P9 Covert, which I've had for many years.

I liked the extra length & weight of the longer-barreled P9 Covert model versus the shorter PM9, and whenever I get together with my SIL to shoot, I always shoot the Covert better than his PM9. He does too, actually, but as he's skinnier than me, he really likes the smaller PM9 package.

Still, there was a hole in my "Kahr collection" -- and this K9 has finally filled it!

Kahr K9 01 (Small).jpg

It shot great today at the range, as this 12-yard group will show. Double-taps were faster than with the P9 Covert, although that's my perception only, as I don't have a timer. I had damaged my wrists many years ago, and while the K9 is admittedly heavier to carry, it is much more pleasant to shoot for me - and it groups better too.

So far, I haven't really noticed the longer "NYPD Trigger" pull when actually shooting it, although I can feel it and see it when comparing it against the P9 Covert while at the bench (has about 1/8" longer pull). The K9's pull is very, very smooth -- it is easily the best Kahr trigger I've ever had.

I just ordered a 5# Wolff spring to install, as I'd done that upgrade to the PM9 and P9 Covert too, and I'll get that done soon. But my initial thoughts are I won't even bother replacing the NYPD trigger parts with the "Elite" versions (which would shorten the stroke by 1/8"), as I seem to be shooting this one so well already.

All in all, I am really liking this all-steel K9. Sure, it's a little heavier to carry than a polymer-framed Kahr, but that extra heft provides comfort and some benefits, as I'm finding the extra weight really helps when handling and shooting it -- and that's when it counts after all.

Now I just need to decide on the fate of my faithful factory-made P9 Covert.............

But this one is a Keeper!!! :wink:

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Kahr I've Always Wanted! (K9 Range Report)

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice congrats, can`t beat that group. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It may be a K9, but it sure isn't a mutt. That target shows it is a real pedigreed pet. Even though it is used, it looks clean as a hound's tooth. Glad you are happy to have adopted it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I had one a few years back. Very well made, accurate, handgun and I put over 3K rds through mine before I sold it. Never had a misfire,failure to feed or ejct while I owned it.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Always nice when you find a deal on that one you've wanted for a while! :D