1873 Smooth Bore??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

1873 Smooth Bore??

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi everyone.
I have a bloke here wanting to sell me a smooth bore 1873 SRC in 44-40.
He claims it is an original Smooth bore used for trick shooting with shot cartridges in the Wild West show days.
Can it be?
These were in use, but did Winchester make them, or were they modified after they left the factory?
Were 1873's ever used for those trick shooting shows?
If they were made in the factory they would surely be marked on the brass lifter or barrel or both indicating smooth bore.
Can any one help me with some information on what may be on offer here.
Pics are coming to me as he lives pretty much on the other side of Australia.
Will try to post pics when I get them, but apparently it is a grey gun.
Maybe the bore is just totally shot out because he tells me you can see traces of rifling in the 4-6 inches back from the muzzle.
If anyone know something I would love to hear from you.
Thanks.
Pop.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: 1873 Smooth Bore??

Post by Sixgun »

Pops......Two ways to tell.......factory letter......or you can check to see if it's choked. I have a 1894 Marlin smoothbore that's original and it's choked at the end of the barrel. The thing shoots like a .410 and holds a tight pattern.

These smoothbore guns were not common and are actually rare. I've only seen a couple in my 40 years of collecting. I've read where trick shooters like Buffalo Bill used them inside of tents for shooting glass balls from horseback but there still must have been a need for them on farms and ranches as the factory did make....and I have some original 44-40's..........shot loads that used a hollow wooden bullet with fine shot inside.

Beings that your buddy can see traces of rifling tells me the rifling was cut out as this was a common practice when bores were shot out or damaged in some way.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Thanks for the reply 6.
The "traces of rifling" that are there to apparently act as a choke just don't sound right.
I really know nothing about Smooth bores so thanks for your input.
Pop.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks for the reply Pops.....to check for the choke, just hammer a lead slug in the muzzle......and after about 2-3 inches, it will fall through with no pounding.....there are other ways but this is the easiest on a gun that's difficult to go "from the back"...----6-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Pop Watts wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:24 am Thanks for the reply 6.
The "traces of rifling" that are there to apparently act as a choke just don't sound right.
I been chuckling about that all day, was he serious when he told you that? Then again maybe that's how/where T/C got their idea for the choke on their 357, 44 magnum hotshot and 45/410 barrels! :mrgreen: Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

saw one at auction in austin texas when I was in the army - 73 in 44/40 smoothbore with rosewood stock and [ well worn ] gold gilding on metal
with factory letter ! used in wild west show - way out of my money range
cable