Redding 'Profile' crimp dies?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Redding 'Profile' crimp dies?

Post by Stevie »

I have an old rotten bored M1892 Winchester .44wcf carbine that just will not shoot lead bullets...no big deal as it will shoot .428/.429 200 gr jacketed bullets fine.

My first attempts at .44-40 jacketed bullet loads with my fairly new LEE dies were about awful...I would either crush the loaded round at crimping or couldn't get enough crimp to survive a ride in the tube mag. I'm using Nosler 200gr .429 hollowpoints and these do have a crimp cannilure/groove and will feed fine(if they don't push into the case!)

I had a few recommendations for the LEE factory crimp die..however none of my favored distributers had these in stock so I opted for the Redding Profile crimp die which Buffalo Arms did have in stock. I loaded a preliminary batch of .44-40 last weekend without any major issues except I think I may have been a bit shy on crimp still.

I think I'm going to load some more .44wcf ammo this afternoon and try for a bit more crimp....just how far can you go with the Redding Profile crimp die??
Really don't want to crush anymore brass trying to over-crimp(like my Lee die crimp feature)...Does anybody else use the .Redding .44-40 profile crimp die?

Thanx Stevie
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Redding 'Profile' crimp dies?

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't use the Redding, but I got my Lee DIRECTLY from Lee's website.
I had a few recommendations for the LEE factory crimp die..however none of my favored distributers had these in stock so I opted for the Redding Profile crimp die which Buffalo Arms did have in stock.
$15.98 directly from LeePrecision.com
http://leeprecision.com/factory-crimp-die-44-40.html
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

Nice!...about five bucks less than the Redding too
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

This method was suggested by one of our most esteemed members here John Kort. Use Poly shot buffer over your powder charge so the bullet is supported. That way it cant turn turtle and head back into the casing when the cartridge stack in the mag tube increases. Then your crimp isn't so critical. Also the buffer acts as a gas check. Also a gas check bullet will work. Good luck!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I son't reload the 44-40 (or the 38-40), but I've often read they are generally thin walled, cases often subject to collapse during reloading. I cannot recommend a Lee FCD for handgun ammo for any reason as my experience with one for my .44 Magnum with cast bullets was a total failure.

I do have and like the Redding Profile Crimp dies and use them on my 38/357 and 44 Spec/Magnum ammo. It's kind of a "hybrid" crimp that works quite well. It seems to me to apply a more consistent, even crimp than my roll crimp dies.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I use the Lee FCD on several calibers and like them a lot. I'm especially fond of them for 44-40 and 32-20. Course I use cast bullets and mostly ffg in the 44-40.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

I loaded some more .44-40 with both the jacketed bullets for my tuff-bore..and a bunch of 'Cowboy #5' commercial cast bullets for my other .44-40 guns.

Used the Redding die for all the crimping and it's working for me. One thing I noticed about the 'profile crimp die is that it seems to leave just a bit of 'edge' to the case mouth...like for say a .45acp or 9mm..cartridges that headspace on the case mouth. The destructions that came with the Redding die say it will induce a sharp taper crimp if adjusted far enough. I didn't push it that far as I didn't want to ruin any cases.

A fringe benefit of a tight crimp I notice(at least with Trail Boss powder) is somewhat improved accuracy with the commercial cast 'Cowboy #5' bullets. I had loaded some of these bullets and had crimped with my Lee dies and they were ok...but squeezing the same load in the Profile crimp die really made an accuracy difference with same bullet/powder charge!