Light Strikes from a Winchester 9422M

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Light Strikes from a Winchester 9422M

Post by peter richards »

Have any of you had an problem with a Winchester 9422M misfiring 1 in 3 shots due to light strikes, I have tryed different ammo, pulled it down, cleaned it & compared it to another rifle, everything looked the same. Its got me stumped.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Light Strikes from a Winchester 9422M

Post by elmo123 »

I recently had that problem with my 9422 and ended up replacing the hammer/main spring and that corrected the problem.

Depending on how many rounds you have fired through your rifle I would also check for a broken firing pin return spring. Mine broke about ten years ago and a small coil off of the spring put the firing pin in a bind which also caused misfires.

I have fired my rifle in excess of 50,000 rounds over the past 20 years and one thing I noticed is that newer ammo has priming compound that seems to be more sensitive to impact from being dropped into the magazine tube while you are loading it. I am talking about the bulk ammo, Federal #510 and similar lower cost ammo. I noticed that when I held the rifle horizontal and placed the cartridges in the magazine tube and gently pushed them farther down with the next round instead of dropping them in and letting them fall striking the previously fed round I had fewer misfires. I have fired a lot of ammo through this rifle from the 60's, 70's and 80's and never had a problem so I can only assume they are using less or thinner priming compound these days and the impact of the rounds smacking each other is causing misfires. One brand that always fires regardless is CCI.

Good luck,

Mike