Garage sale knives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Garage sale knives

Post by Camel73 »

So I was at a garage sale of some friends of ours and asked if they had any hunting knives, even tho I didn't see any. A few minutes later, these appear.

I thought they were pretty neat, so I adopted them upon a more than fair deal.

#1- Original Bowie Knife
Baron Solingen Germany
#2- Original Buffalo Skinner
Marveledge Solingen
#3- Japan

He couldn't give me any info on them at all so this is my first attempt at finding any info on these guys. The top and bottom ones have a few miles on them but the middle one seems to be in pretty good shape, other than needing a new handle. Not sure what marveledge means... anyone?
My first child - '94 30-30
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Garage sale knives

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice ! (I luv yard sale knives - where I've also gotten a few)

I think "Marveledge" was an advertising come-on, and not a knifemaker, but am not positive.

Baron is only one of a long line of knifemakers & bladesmiths located in Solingen, Germany that came & went (mostly) for more then 260 years.

The more famous names are J.A.Henckles, Puma-Werke, Edge Brand, Linder, Kissing Cranes, Richartz, Hen & Rooster, Bulldog Brand, German Eye, Hubertus, Wingen, and Herbertz.

The only handles I've ever seen on a Solingen Bowie or Buffalo Skinner are stag, imitation stag, or a Boy Scout version of the Skinner with checkered black plastic (horn ? ) - but have never ran across one with stacked leather washers.

Image Image

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Not the best steel in the world, but those Old Hickory had decent carbon steel. Easy to sharpen to a razor edge.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I have an Original Buffalo Skinner with the leather washer handle. Says Solingen Germany on it and Made in Germany on the scabbard. I'm surprised it doesn't say West Germany, because the two Germanys were a long way from being reunited when I got this knife.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

That "Boy Scout version" appears to have been constructed from surplus parts left over in warehouses when Germans stopped making the Hitler Youth knives that were so prevalent in the 1933-1945 period. The "black plastic handle" is black plastic. Google "Hitler Youth Knife".
I have one of the "Skinner" versions. No reference to Buffalo on mine. The blade is labelled "Sabre Solingen" on one side and "American Knife Company" on the other. Both in small letters at the base of the blade, near the guard. The sheath is exactly the same one shown with the embossed Stag, but no metal guard at the tip. Scales are genuine staghorn and have aged nicely.
I'm the original owner. The blade is excellent steel, but I should add here that I spent 25 yrs in Beef slaughter and processing and know a good bit more than average about sharpening and caring for knives.
These knives were offered in a variety of styles of blades and handles in the 1950's-60's in every small general store and hardware store {remember those..??) :? . There was a display case on the counter holding them all for kids like us to drool over.
It was somewhere along in the early 60's for me...I was going out hunting with my older cousin one morning. We stopped into one of those small stores on our way to "the farm" to hunt rabbits. When he noticed me ogling the case full of cool knives...he told me to pick one out. He paid the clerk and handed it to me. Price was about $5.00 if I remember correctly.
I still have it. Original sheath and all. Still use it occasionally to dress the odd Deer or Hog and it will still shave me if I sharpen for that task. :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A couple of blades I found @ yard sales:

(upper & lower, immediately below, 2/$3 ;) )

I found this for $2:

and made it into this for an additional $5 (brass crosssguard):

($8 Imperial Barlow)

This Spydeco Police model was $0.50 OTY )

I stumbled across this last Spring, while walking my dog in a city park ( a "yard", if not a yard sale ;) ):

Happy yard sailing, folks !

Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Got new Case clip point folder with pocket clip, jigged bone handle. For $1.

Asked if all the knives in box were a dollar like the sign said( they were Chinese junk). He said yes!!!

Don
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Nice knives.

I'm glad I got a sheath too. I think the different animals on them is neat.

I don't think I've ever seen an old hickory knife, although I'm in the process of reworking one of those winchester bowies... why I'm not sure but it's passing the time.

I kinda like the leather washers, and with nothing else at the moment to replace them with, I think I'll add just a few more and keep it like that. It's very light.

Claybob and guido(cool story)... any pics?
My first child - '94 30-30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Camel73 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:41 am Nice knives.

I'm glad I got a sheath too. I think the different animals on them is neat.

I don't think I've ever seen an old hickory knife, although I'm in the process of reworking one of those winchester bowies... why I'm not sure but it's passing the time.

I kinda like the leather washers, and with nothing else at the moment to replace them with, I think I'll add just a few more and keep it like that. It's very light.

Claybob and guido(cool story)... any pics?
I can't speak as to the new ones, but I used to have a few older ones that have "disappeared". I have more expensive knives now, and honest to golly, they are really not much better, if at all, than the old Old Hickory.
http://ontarioknife.com/cutlery/old-hickoryr.html
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV