Got a new security system tonight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Got a new security system tonight

Post by fordwannabe »

A couple months ago our much loved doberman had a stroke and had to be put down. Mrs. fordwannabe has.not gotten over the loss. We have decided no more dogs. I just surprised her with our new security system though
12 weeks old black and tan with full ears and going 100.Miles an hour. Mrs.fordwannabe still hasn't said anything other than ooh my for the last 10.minutes. I like our new security system too.
Yellow lab is hunter
Chocolate lab is Oliver Winchester
Old doberman was John Moses Browning
New one is MARLIN.
Yes a theme is there somewhere.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Got a new security system tonight

Post by mark »

Good for you.

I like cattle dogs and rottweilers.

My real concern is them outliving me.

Cheers Mark
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had friends who had a Doberman called Panzer, he went nuts whenever he saw me as he knew it meant long walks around the Bulmers cider apple orchards where I lived, great dogs. :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I always though Oliver would be a great name for a Lab. :D

Great news about the new puppy! We're still having a family debate about a new puppy. It's been a couple of months now since we lost our Great Dane. The kid and I want another Dane but my wife wants a little poofie dog. I'm sure you guys know how a pretty lady can usually get her way. :oops: Something happened out back in the dark the other night that has another Dane back to the top of the list. Our Lab mix tangled with something in the dark that really kicked her butt. I'm not sure what it was but it was inside the fence and big, strong or nasty enough to give a 55 pound dog a good thumping and scare her bad enough that she wouldn't go outside without me for two days. The whole thing has us really missing our Lucy.

There's few things in this existence that can compare to getting a new puppy that turns into a great dog and becomes your best friend! I'm very happy for you Sir!

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

We have a couple of new puppies too. The first is Chiuaua/Yorkie and has wormed her way into all the hearts of the family. Then the youngest is Pitt/Blue Heeler cross. Our Australian Shepherd has taken on the job of raising them both. You can see we're dog poor but I'd still like another Oorang Airedale. 100+ pound wire haired hunting dog of which I've had two. Great dog. Might just be what you need 2ndovc. You have any hogs in your neighborhood?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey Jason, you should get a pair of Jack Russell's! The one I had took on everything! Two would be unstoppable!!
Friend of a friend in Wyoming started running JRTs instead of hound for mountain lions, seems those cats once treed stayed treed with a pack of JRTs under them!

5-7 more days until Winnie's expected due date... COME ON PUPPIES!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Hey Will,
I have a Jack Russell and a Rat Terrier but they were both upstairs when the ruckus occurred. They were ready to charge though! I didn't want anyone else to get hurt not knowing what it was. My first thought was a larger stray dog got into the fence somehow but haven't seen any evidence. Still no idea what was out there. Set the live trap but nothing yet.

Mr. Wright, no hogs or anything larger than a coyote around here and I haven't seen one of those in some time.
I'll post some pictures when we whack the evil doer!

jb 8)

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Very nice, congrats!

Glad you didn't get a "REMLIN"!!!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's great news about the new pup. I believe a home without at least one dog in it is a home in name only. For a while we had three, a Brittany, and Aussie and a blind mutt with a heart of gold. They are all gone now, and my wife brought home a couple of poofies, a shihtzu/Javanese mutt and a poodle pom mutt. I have to admit that Oskar and Theo are entertaining little toots!
Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I like your theme too!

We had to put our 12-year old dachshund down almost a year ago. Got a pair of litter-mates, a boy and girl, for Christmas last year. They are almost a year old now. Their names are "Remi" (the girl) and "Ruger". :D Mrs. YK agreed to gun names as long as they both started with the same letter and sounded gender appropriate. Had to shorten "Remington" but she bought it! :D
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hunter was first but when the old doberman was picked out MRS FORDWANNABE named him, JMB.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good move Tom.......dogs are, without question, the best investment anyone could make. They earn their keep 100 times over. Our group of "land piranhas".....Yorkies and pelosi Zhu's let me sleep solidly.

Nice names you have given your buddies...---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey Six in my house they are referred to as ' Kitchen Sharks'! My 12 yr old yellow is the best at circling the kitchen, only 1 eye so she is afraid she might miss something! Absolutely true when you say HOME in name only.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Oops
Last edited by fordwannabe on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Yeah I hear there are people with spotless homes and no dogs...WELL THAT AINT US. I try to keep up but with two labs and now a puppy, its a losing battle. Mrs fordwannabe works full time as a prison nurse supervisor, every other weekend as an ER nurse, and volunteers two days a week at the free clinic, sooo housework is on me. We have become accustomed to the lived in look. A little drool, some hair and a few toys strewn about means love in my book, well that's how I sell it to myself anyway.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If you don't like dog hair on EVERYTHING then ya might as well show up wearing a Tyvek suit!! Dog hair is a way of life, if ya don't like it TS!
I don't know who said first but DOG spelled backwards is GOD and by gum dogs sure are a gift from God if you ask me.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

PillHer is still not ready for another big dog. Our Rat Terrier-orist is 10 months old and has killed 3 rats in the last 10 days. He jumps like he is spring loaded and runs as fast as anything I have ever seen. I still want a bigger dog, but PillHer is adamant about waiting. Our older Atlas Terrier is getting old and would rather sleep than run. She used to run everywhere like she had a turbocharger and her throttle was stuck at wide open. PillHer wants to wait until we are down to 3 dogs before getting another. We are at 4 now.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It's always good to be dog rich!

I'm waiting for this litter, few more days and Winnie should be whelping and then I can share pictures!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I have two Jack Russells, two fox terriers, a Chihuahua/poodle mix and a 100lb American Pit Bull.

I can guarantee no one can come around my hacienda unannounced. When all six start barking it's pandemonium. :lol:

The meanest and most fearless is "Old Man Brody" (the Chihuahua/poodle mix). He weighs all of two pounds but thinks he weighs 200 lbs!
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ford, how about a photo of your new pup?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here's Winnie, 2 days from her due date. I guess by laying in the sun she is trying to finish 'cookin' her pups!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gunny, hope it goes like butter for all concerned.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:32 am Hey Six in my house they are referred to as ' Kitchen Sharks'! My 12 yr old yellow is the best at circling the kitchen, only 1 eye so she is afraid she might miss something! Absolutely true when you say HOME in name only.

Oh! That's great Gunny....kitchen sharks! That reminded me when the other day I picked up a couple of 6's at the food market, there was this beer called "land sharks.

People who don't have dogs.....out of medical or housing issue reasons.....just don't know what they are missing.----6
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have a couple good pics but can't post them. If somebody will let me send them the pics and then post them for me, I'M all in.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

fordwannabe wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 pm I have a couple good pics but can't post them. If somebody will let me send them the pics and then post them for me, I'M all in.
Send 'em my way. Image
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Dogs are always "smarter" when they grow up with another dog. My Dobermans grew up with a Whippet (a mini-doberman with an attitude) that could jump/bounce up to eye-level, and that pup never had a chance of being injured (by anyone or anything) with the big girls around. Today I have three 100# rescue pups and no stranger is getting inside the perimeter without serious risk.

Rescue, don't shop. Rescue an older dog, you'll never ever regret it.
For every "bred" dog in the usa, dozens of unwanted dogs get put down in a lonely, scary shelter.
Breeders contribute to this, especially the amateurs.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Rescue was our first choice but what I wanted was not available immediately, and, BIG AND HERE, the entire adoption process around HERE, makes you feel like you are a criminal animal abuser, until you can prove you arent. Listen I take better care of my dogs than a lot of people take of their kids. However here it is a rectal exam I dont need when the price of the dog is the same. My first wife and fostered horses for a thoughobred rescue society, At my expense. I get it. The libtards running the agencies around here MAKE YOU GO THE breeder route with their attitudes. I wish they didn't, but after watching my son adopt his husky over the last THREE MONTHS, and the response I got about a doberman rescue, I called about..well they still have the rescues and I already have a new dog. Once again a great idea ruined by the people in charge of it. Also looked on doberman chat boards and got tired of being told that if I wasnt willing to pay $2500 up for a puppy I was a P.OS.
Rant over. But still frustrated at the attitude of the "enlighten" people. Oh yeah forgot
Both Hunter, and Winchester were rescues in one way or another.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

One week update. Well ol Winchester was not really sure about this thing I brought home last friday. Very standoffish, probably afraid he was being replaced with a newer model. Now that he has had to assume the big brother role, all is Well with the world. They run and play, lay on top of each other it's pretty cool. Marlin had a couple issues, like I have cleaned the carpet 5times this week, hey he was literally raised in a barn! The rules about what is ok to do inside and what is ok to do outside are still a little fuzzy. He had never had a collar, that was fun with a sharp toothed dobie puppy. It's ok I should be all healed up before hunting season. He had never been allowed inside, so we spent a night listening to him howl that we were inside and he wasn't, but he got there, and the neighbors are gonna start talking to me again soon, maybe. He had never seen stairs, I tell ya it must be instinct as he can get to the exact spot I was going to put my foot, in fractions of a second now. Again should be healed in time for hunting season, and the guy said the piece of drywall where my head hit it wont be too costly. A couple of times this week I have been blessed with rolling out of bed and having the nice wet foot feeling. Crate training is going better than expected actually. It did not take him long to realize "all I have to do is go in there, let You lock me up, and you'll give me bacon...DEAL! All in all an average week for a new puppy owner. :D PRICELESS.
Honestly while I was typing this he just pee'd in my room, clean up number 6. Tom dog owner.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

:D
Always the fun part but he'll figure it out. My Lab mix was pretty wild when we got her. She had been on a farm with ten other dogs a pretty much had the run of the place. I lost track of how many times she got loose those first six moths. A lot of ducks and a couple of geese met an unfortunate end that year. :shock:

jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You guys are reminding me what I'm about to have here TIMES 6!! Wheee such fun & I can't wait!!
It's a real help with puppies to hang a cow bell on the door knob, at nose level, ring it every time you take them out. Eventually they figure out if they ring they go out. This has worked very well for me. Claro still rings it 4 years later. I sometimes ignore her ringing just to make her do it over & over until she gets bent and just about rips the bell off the door, then I KNOW she has to go and not trying to BS me!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!