Winchester 94 carbine or rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester 94 carbine or rifle?

Post by gcs »

Whatayalike?, Been looking at older 32 sp. 94's, Prices on auction sites are crazy for the run of the mill carbines, but sometimes, for not a lot more, a 26" rifle is available, and some have very nice wood.

So for those that have / had both, what are your opinions on the two styles, what do you like, how do they handle?
Like I said in a previous post, this will be my walking around gun, so it needs to carry easily, and I admit I don't need another gun, but the rifle style has nice esthetics about it.
All comments appreciated...
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94 carbine or rifle?

Post by Pisgah »

A long-barreled Winchester is a heavy critter, especially if that barrel is of the octagon persuasion; that said, the slimness of the design makes it seem like you're carrying a handy stick, and not a 10-lb. barbell, and they "hang" wonderfully well when shot offhand. I like 'em!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I am a fellow who has always preferred the longer barrels and have never been bothered by an extra pound of rifle if it comes from the barrel end of things. So I like the feel of my 26" bbl m94 32 Spcl rifle. With the Marble's tang sight and fiber-optic front it tips the scale at an even 8# but I feel I am set to take on whatever gets up in range, and that 26" octagon barrel just seems to hold awful nice when you are shooting.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have never had a 94, but the carbines are a lot more common. The rifles do look nicer.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

WDWLC?

(What does Walt Longmire carry?)
A 20" gun is plenty for me, and the 16" Trapper guns are even more handy. Anything I'm likely to shoot will not know the difference in velocity. I usually leave my heaviest leverguns behind.

The first shot is the only shot that matters. Accuracy is measured with a cold barrel.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Had some experience with them ... in my old age I have I have come to prefer the Trapper.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The only rifle length 94 that I have is a Canadian Centennial but what a great shooter it is. It really don't feel heavier then any of the carbines I have. :D
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Rifle for more over the carbine when it comes to hunting, they carry very nice & for me shoot better off hand
For over 40 years ( had shorter guns before that ) the Savage 1895 - 1899 or Winchester 1894 with the long pipes have been my choice for hunting
that said I do have a few carbines & even a trapper

Brad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Little more velocity with the rifle, not harder to carry. Accuracy had been very good in the 20", 24", and 26" I have. Think I prefer the 20".
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The choice of a "walking around" gun depends upon where the walking's going to be done......................

Where relatively short range shots (25-100yds) are expected, a Carbine (16"-20") is the ticket.

Where both short range and the occasional longer shots (say, 125-200yds), my pick would be a Rifle.

While I've had 2-3 Model 94 Carbines (including a Trapper I recently sold here), I've also had a couple of Rifles - two different 1871-1971 NRA Commemorative Rifles in .30-30, and a 1981 Canadian Pacific Railway Centennial Rifle in .32 Special.

The 24" barreled rifles were only a tad heavier than the Carbines, not enough to make a discernable difference when hunting (both models had 2/3 magqzines, which the carbines had full-length mags).

The Carbines handled easier/faster - a plus for suddenly-presented game shots, but the rifles had slightly better accuracy & smoother handling for those longer shots.

SO, YMMV - Pay your money & take your choice. ;)

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Dont mean to be an azz but kInd a like asking which of your kids is better. For some things the carbine carries oh so nice. Other times that heft and long barrel are the bee's knees. But being strong willed and only really needing one or the other I chose...several of each! Oh Lordy, I have been afflicted with leveritis!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If it's bound to end up a safe queen and all you plan to do is look at it and maybe take it to the range once a year, get that 26" octagon barrel and a couple pounds of sights.

If it's a field gun, and unless you do varmints or prairie critters, it's all about carrying the arm. How long will you have to carry it and in what environment?

I find the regular carbines and Trapper length 94's very much to my personal liking.

There are some gorgeous lever-gun "rifles" out there but most just don't have a visual appeal to me.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You had me in the like column with "Winchester 94"! Rifle, short rifle, carbine & trapper, I like 'em all! I have rifles with no, medium & standard taper octagon, ½ round/octagon & round barrels; the last 2 being 2/3 magazine versions. Only the medium & no taper barrels have more'n a few ounces of extra weight. The short rifle has the "standard" taper profile, but six less inches of barrel lessens the weight considerably.

I think it's mostly the change in balance point that affects the handling, swing & mounting more than the actual differences in weight. The Trapper is in a class all by itself, it is by far the easiest carried in the hand, quickest to the shoulder and to swing onto target. Mine fights well above its weight class in the accuracy department. Often besting its 20' carbine brothers, shooting from a bench.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I like them all, but if I could own just one, then I think I would choose a pre-64 with a 20" barrel, and long for-end wood, I am thinking a 50's error or late 40's, although a pre-WWII would also be nice if I found a good one. But I do own an 1898 or might be 97, can't remember for sure, 26 inch round barrel in 30 WCF, nickle silver barrel, which I like very much, but it is heavier. Also own a Buffalo Bill octagon barrel rifle, which is one of my favorites, stamped follower and all, but I might get that changed one of these days.

However, My late 40's error, 20" Flat Band just might be my best shooter.
NRA Life Member, Patron
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Rifles with crescent buttplates sit in the shoulder nicely and allow the rifle to hang well and allow me to shoot them more accurately. Carbines, especially SRCs are somewhat slippery and are more apt to slide and move around. Love 'em both though!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Rifle....people today are more shooters than they are hunters. A rifle can be shot all day, all year long, getting them hot and they still shoot good. Most carbines spray their ammo from 3" groups to 6-8" as soon as they get hot. The extra pound or so what a rifle weighs will not be uncomfortable for those 3-5 days a year that you hunt.----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have a bunch of 94s, from 16-26". Ive got 32s in 16,20, and 24. Ive carried and hunted with them all.

Everbody loves the trappers, but truthfully, they are the least practical and have the worst balance IMO.

The 20" carbines are the best if you hunt the thick or are in and out of vehicles. Like Six said, they usually wander when hot. However, if you can find one like was popular with the ole Maine hicks, with a half or 2/3 mag that problem is gone. These make wonderful carbines.

The best of all worlds when considering balance, weight, and accuracy is the model 64 profile front end. The rapid taper 24" barrel with the 2/3 mag and rifle forend. They shoot crazy good and are a joy to carry. Plenty of sight radius with a 56 or 66 Lyman, also. If you are like me, the only downer is the pistol grip. The good news is, many factory rebarreled rifles got 64 front clips. And due to the 32s lack of poularity, guess what they got barreled with? I have one of these gems and it is in the top 3 most accurate Winchesters I've ever owned.
Best of luck in finding what you want.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Carbines and Trappers. 94's are hunting guns for me. I give up the reach of a scoped bolt action long barreled magnum for the handiness, and lightweight of the flat nose cartridge guns. Perhaps as I grow older, I realize that a peep sighted .356WCF will do anything I need to do. Carrying something longer and HEAVIER lost it's appeal. :D
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I own representatives of both barrel lengths and usually pick the saddle ring carbine. The last year or so my ability to walk went away so a lot of the time I take a 26" 1886 since I'm just gonna be sitting in my little hooch anyway. My fave when I could walk was a 25-35 SRC.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Not too long ago I snatched up a great deal on a little 16" SRC in 30wcf. It's angle eject and had a nice Williams on it. What a dandy/handy walking around rifle.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

This post (sorry PhotoSuckit ate the pictures)....

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=55112

I also have several 24" octagon 'target rifles' and love them. But IF I could just have one levergun (God forbid), it would either be:

a) my 16" Rossi in 454 Casull (or any other clambering). The 357 Mag I have is awesome, the 44 Mag a 'standard' high power chambering, and the 45 Colt plenty more power in a 'normal' cartridge, but honestly a 32-20 works for 90% of my needs.

or

b) my 500 S&W Big Horn Armory '1886' style levergun in modern steel, modern cartridge. With a 32-20 Marlin levergun, the two cover nearly ALL needs.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

If it's for actual use and not collecting, I'll take a carbine over the rifle every time. My idea of a levergun is a short light weapon. If I'm going for something longer and heavier, I'd rather have a bolt action.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I say collect the whole set,then shoot them and decide. Then the one you don't like sell to me for a good price!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My Grandad's favorite deer rifle was his model 64 with 24 inch barrel and abbreviated magazine. It was quite accurate with its flip up tang sight. After he died it went to my oldest Uncle and then to his wife's family. Gone forever.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!