Not a lever but question about Remington 572

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Not a lever but question about Remington 572

Post by Rube Burrows »

While its not a lever gun I know this group has much experience in other types of guns also.

I have a Remington Model 572 .22 Pump action rifle.
It is having a problem where it does not pick up the round from the magazine and put it in the chamber. I am generally pretty handy with fixing the things wrong with my guns but this one is stumping me. I cant really figure out what actually pulls the round from the magazine. Is it just the pressure from the spring that forces it into the chamber?
This is a great shooting little rifle and I would hate to have it just be a safe queen and miss future squirrel hunts.

Google would indicate that feeding problems are common on this rifle. Anyone else had this problem? How was it fixed?

Thanks for any help.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Not a lever but question about Remington 572

Post by Pete44ru »

IDK if this will help, but.......

Part #11, below, is the carrier - which controls the release of cartridges from the magazine and also lifts them high enough for the bolt to push them into the chamber.

When the carrier is raised, to chamber the round, the lower front blocks the next cartridge(s) from exiting the magazine, until it drops (empty) and allows the next cartridge to exit the magazine and lay on top of it.

It sounds like something's up with the carrier, the carrier's movement around it's pivot tube (#12), and/or it's spring (#13).

The trigger/carrier group is removed from the receiver, for examination of those parts, after pushing out the two cross-pins on the lower/rear edge of the receiver.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It's probably very dirty, that's when most 22's start acting up. I'd bet the carrier spring is getting a bit weak as well.
Gunparts probably has them, order a couple so you have a spare.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

A great rifle. Mine was grand.

Carrier spring as stated is my guess, gummed up with bullet lube and powder particles.
May just need a good washing with a solvent like WD-40.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thanks. I will look deeper into the issue when I have time. Its a great little rifle. Just got to get the feeding issue figured out.