Accurate Powder--MRP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Missouri Mule
Levergunner

Accurate Powder--MRP

Post by Missouri Mule »

I have a couple of jugs of Accurate Powders discontinued powder called MRP. I have been told that it was the predecessor of Accurate 3100. Does anyone know about this powder and what it works well for? Any info would be appreciated.
Watch yer TopKnot
Missouri Mule
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: Accurate Powder--MRP

Post by AmBraCol »

Missouri Mule wrote:I have a couple of jugs of Accurate Powders discontinued powder called MRP. I have been told that it was the predecessor of Accurate 3100. Does anyone know about this powder and what it works well for? Any info would be appreciated.

Well, I've NO idea - but it's good to see you posting!!! I missed seeing your handle and sig line...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Missouri Mule
Levergunner

Post by Missouri Mule »

Hey Paul,
I have been lurking and reading. I haven't been able to do too much as I am still going to school and working. Just time enough to read the posts and such at the end of the day.
Watch yer TopKnot
Missouri Mule
JD2
Levergunner

Post by JD2 »

I have used quite a lot of Accurate MRP and have been very pleased with it. I use it in the 270 Winchester and the 257 Roberts. It seems to have a burning rate very similar to H4831. 60 grains in the 270 coupled with a 130 grain bullet generates about 3100 fps and exceptional accuracy in my stainless Winchester Model 70. 49 grains in the 257 with a 100 grain bullet gives me about 3100 fps in my Remington 722.

It is a great powder for large capacity cases, and should work well for any of the magnum cartridges. I've been menaing to try it with 180 grain bullets in the 30-06, but I haven't gotten around to do it yet..
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I believe it is the equivalent speed to RL 22. Finn Aagaard did a piece on it some years ago in which he compared it at widely varying temperatures and found it made little difference in velocity.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Missouri Mule
Levergunner

MRP Powder

Post by Missouri Mule »

Well I have 4 8lb jugs of the stuff. I load for the .375 Winchester, .30-30 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield, and .357 pistol and rifle. I don't think it will work in any of these. I got it when an old gunshop closed down and was clearing out inventory. What would be a reasonable price for this stuff? What would it be worth in trade?????
Watch yer TopKnot
Missouri Mule
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I would think it would be worth $8-10 a pound if you want to turn it quick. I bought a bunch when discontinued for $5/lb, years ago. Still have some and use it in the '06 and 308. Cast Boolits velocity is about 2100 fps and I use a heavy boolit for the caliber. Caseful to the base of the boolit. 1-1.5" groups at 100yds Neighbor used some in a 30-30 , casefull if I remember, for a load in Cowboy shooting. Pretty dirty though, but accuracy was very good. Also use in my 35 Whelen.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
JD2
Levergunner

Post by JD2 »

I think it will work quite well in the 30-06 with 180 grain bullets. It is certainly worth giving it a try!!!!
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Missouri, you are correct. Unless you want to load 220gr bullets in the .30-06, it is too slow for your present calibers. It is in the same burning range as H4831. (data is NOT interchangeable)