Way off topic...Car parts.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Way off topic...Car parts.....

Post by .45colt »

Hello all You old Geezers....Just had to share this. prolly old news to most. My '05 Jeep liberty with 110k is slowly dissolving before my eyes due to the road salt and salt brine the state uses every year. the latest part to go was one of the power steering metal lines that go from the pump to the rack & pinion unit . ugly looking all around. I go to the local parts places...one could get them for $70.00 plus tax. a big national chain had to order them. special order, special shipping cost and a handling fee. :shock: :shock: :shock: . at least they gave me the part numbers. I search the internet and these guys show up....http://www.rockauto.com/............I bought both the pressure and return line for the grand total less than $27.00 shipped . today the Jeep is happy and so am I.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Way off topic...Car parts.....

Post by 3leggedturtle »

That's an extra $43 or so you can spend on reloading supplies!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

If I have to fix something to get to work the next day I use local auto parts dealer. If I am planning to work on one of the car's next weekend I most always use rockauto. I have never had it take more than three days to be at the door. Internet coupons always get you 5 percent off also. Once in a great while you will find local to be as cheap but not often. I just bought a drag link for my 1ton crewcab, moog professional series $58 plus 8 or $9 shipping, best I could find local was unknown manufacturer and $130.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I feel your pain. I've owned 5 Liberty's of the 2002-2007 model years, and now I'm down to 2 of them. Luckily for me, the company I work for is owned by Genuine Parts/Napa. They know me well at 2 of the stores....lol...."here comes that Jeep guy"
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Here in Hawai'i where auto parts store shelves are usually empty and overpriced I get 90% of my parts from 3 sources- Amazon, Ebay, and Rock Auto. Allot of times Amazon and Ebay may offer free shipping but many times Rock Auto is still the cheapest even including shipping. I like the quality of parts as well as the return policy of Rock Auto with free return shipping. Amazon Prime return policy is comparable too but I have been screwed over by Ebay sellers with Ebay's blessing so they are usually my 3rd choice unless they are the only source of part needed.

PS. When the first generation Jeep Liberty first came out I fell in love with the Turbo Diesel powered model with 5 speed transmission. I tried to talk my with into getting one but she wanted a Ford Escape with V-6 and automatic. I'm glad I listened to her. 16 years later my son inherited it and it's still running strong with 150,000 island miles. Very easy to work on so I've done 90% of maintenance and repairs myself.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Wish I had seen this earlier. My new vehicle being a 1982 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler I have found some good folks to deal with. Here are a couple.

http://www.morris4x4center.com/
http://www.4wheelparts.com/

However, though I've never used Rock Auto they have a good reputation.

If you want more places I've been happy with, let me know.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Needed 2 tailgate cables, nothing fancy, dealer wanted almost 80$, auto parts needed to order from dealer, on a whim I did a computer search, this is before Google,
found the exact match for 20 bucks shipped from a place that preceded rock auto.
And these brick and mortar stores wonder why they lose business. I understand needing to make a profit, but the online guys are, and not beating you to death in the process.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I like RockAuto.

-Stretch
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have to order my truck parts direct... from Japan - in Yen...

Fortunately PayPal converts.

http://yokohamamotors.net/page60.html

I usually get my parts in under 10 business days
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

This is even more off topic. But similar.
I don't know squat about HVAC. I am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade, and not afraid to open stuff up and take a peek at least. Well my LENOX furnace quit a couple winters ago and it was cold out. I opened it up and there was a circuit board that was obviously fried that controls the whole thing. OK, I see a part number printed on it. I google the part number and sure enough there it is, I can order one for $15.00 or if I want to buy ten at a time (contractor price) they are only $10.00 each. OK good to know, but its cold out, I'll go see if our local LENOX dealer has one as I would like to start heating the house again.

Yup sais the guy at the counter, that will be $480.00. I think I blinked a couple times and let it sink in and then said dumbfounded are you sure? I can buy one directly from LENOX for $15.00. Now mind you its still cold outside I would have brought one home for $100.00 all be it not happily, but would have just the same, but $480.00? NO. His reply was well do you want it or not, I thought maybe he would dicker with me a bit once I called bs on the price. I left the store empty and next day aired the one online one for like a grand total of $30.

I understand making a profit, but this kind of stuff is darn near theft.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rockauto.com. Just watch the description carefully... they sometimes have a less than quality "equivalent". And... other times they have an upgrade replacement for less than the OEM. I found that out on my motorized mirrors for my Silverado.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Udy wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:59 pm This is even more off topic. But similar.
I don't know squat about HVAC. I am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade, and not afraid to open stuff up and take a peek at least. Well my LENOX furnace quit a couple winters ago and it was cold out. I opened it up and there was a circuit board that was obviously fried that controls the whole thing. OK, I see a part number printed on it. I google the part number and sure enough there it is, I can order one for $15.00 or if I want to buy ten at a time (contractor price) they are only $10.00 each. OK good to know, but its cold out, I'll go see if our local LENOX dealer has one as I would like to start heating the house again.

Yup sais the guy at the counter, that will be $480.00. I think I blinked a couple times and let it sink in and then said dumbfounded are you sure? I can buy one directly from LENOX for $15.00. Now mind you its still cold outside I would have brought one home for $100.00 all be it not happily, but would have just the same, but $480.00? NO. His reply was well do you want it or not, I thought maybe he would dicker with me a bit once I called bs on the price. I left the store empty and next day aired the one online one for like a grand total of $30.

I understand making a profit, but this kind of stuff is darn near theft.
Like a number of service industries, particularly for the home, what they really want is for you pay them to do it. And, if you do, don't be surprised if you "need" additional parts or service. My neighbor needed a drain unclogged. The plumber did so then claimed he smelled gas. The pipes, according to him were old and she needed to replace the entire gas system, for about $5000. I really hate it when they try to take advantage of the old, infirm or just single women.

The plumber left the gas off. She called the gas company (who just happens to have a brand new "insurance" deal to maintain your gas lines) the fellow said he couldn't turn it back on because he didn't turn it off. Then the sneaky *** put a blank in the line to prevent gas flow if someone turned on the valve.

She tried to turn on the valve and none of her gas fired appliances worked. It took me about 15 minutes to find the blank, remove it and restore her gas. Sad when two men from two companies, motivated only by a chance to make money, would try to rip off an older single female.

Oh, and the gas company swore their people would never do such a thing. Well then, they should never give their folks blanks (they put them in when shutting off gas service) with the name of the utility stamped into them.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad