Lee Speed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Lee Speed

Post by barbarossa »

Just bought this a Lee Speed Sporter in 303british,it has the original engraved magazine and a nice bright shiny bore.I can t wait until it arrives it will be my go to rifle for deer this season.I ve always wanted one of these and when it came up I just had to get it even though I had to sell two nice guns to do so.

Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Lee Speed

Post by Merle »

classy !!! :D
Merle from PA
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That is a fine looking classic & congratulations on your great find!!

Brad
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Very nice, I had one the same, engraving etc, but with a ten shot mag, the fancy tang safety, and highly figured walnut. Who was the retailer on your one? If there anything on the dust cover? They were all made by BSA, but many people sold them on, illustrious names like Westley Richards, Holland and Holland. My one was from Army and Navy. (Just like WDM Bell's one :mrgreen: )
I ended up selling it on, my wife said I wasnt allowed to hunt with it because it should be in a museum. I regret selling it deeply and it comes back to haunt me when I see fine examples like your one here. I am now mildly depressed.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I hoped your post was about this kind of rifle & not about reloading. Sweeeet rig.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I won t recieve it until next week,the store didn't t mention any retailers name on the dust cover but it wouldn t surprise me if there is one though.I also noticed the barrel is a tad longer than the average sporter though I do know you could custom order some special features on the guns.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

On the early ones the barrel was often 25 inches, and 26 inches was not uncommon. If you rifle has an excellent bore as you say, then you have a real prize
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

THAT is what a bolt gun should be!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Slick, clean, and light - and that ol' .303 is a dandy deer caliber, from all that I read.

Great find!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Beautiful old classic rifle. I have not met one in person, sure would like to hold.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's a bucket list rifle for sure, right there. I have a Lee-Metford that has been partially sportered and with a new stock made. The bore is shot, so I will have it rebored to .375 and chambered for .375 Nitro Express 2 1/2 Flanged. BSA offered this chambering in their original Lee Speeds. It has more poop than a .375 Winchester, but far less than an H&H.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

A classic rifle.
Never handled one but I can just imagine it's a dream to shoot off hand.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:47 am That's a bucket list rifle for sure, right there. I have a Lee-Metford that has been partially sportered and with a new stock made. The bore is shot, so I will have it rebored to .375 and chambered for .375 Nitro Express 2 1/2 Flanged. BSA offered this chambering in their original Lee Speeds. It has more poop than a .375 Winchester, but far less than an H&H.
Don't have any personal experience, but I have read that boring to .35 cal is a better idea - more meat left in the barrel. :?:
Merle from PA
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

As much as I love my Mauser bolt guns both 98 based and earlier I really get excited seeing a Lee-Enfield bolt gun. I LOVE my 45-70 Gibbs Summit Rifle a Lithgow arsenal action rebarreled to 45/70 using a Brazilian made barrel by Navy Arms decades ago.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I received the Lee Speed in the mail today and I must say I am more than pleased with it.It appears to be a used but very well cared for rifle, the stocks are in real nice shape with superb checkering on the grip and fore stock with only a few scattered marks on the stock and the metal is in great shape as well 90 percent of the original remaining , only worn a bit in the carry areas which is to be expected.The bore is excellent as well .All and all a beautiful rifle.
The gun is marked BSA on the wrist and there is no retailers name on it.Also it has light border engraving on the action ,magazine and butt plate.There is no butt trap in the butt plate and the barrel measures 26 inches.It comes up to the shoulder with ease and will make a great deer stalking rifle this season
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

barbarossa wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:51 pm I received the Lee Speed in the mail today and I must say I am more than pleased with it.It appears to be a used but very well cared for rifle, the stocks are in real nice shape with superb checkering on the grip and fore stock with only a few scattered marks on the stock and the metal is in great shape as well 90 percent of the original remaining , only worn a bit in the carry areas which is to be expected.The bore is excellent as well .All and all a beautiful rifle.
The gun is marked BSA on the wrist and there is no retailers name on it.Also it has light border engraving on the action ,magazine and butt plate.There is no butt trap in the butt plate and the barrel measures 26 inches.It comes up to the shoulder with ease and will make a great deer stalking rifle this season
sounds like you hit the jackpot on this one! :D
Merle from PA
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! how about working up some cast practice loads for it? I can hardly wait!!!!!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.