Buffalo Bore 30-30 190 grain

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Buffalo Bore 30-30 190 grain

Post by daisygordoninc »

Does anyone have experience with 30-30 Buffalo Bore 190 grain ammo.
They advertise that it will take down just about anything, has anyone
used these for hunting large game ? I watched a youtube video of a man
taking a large bull moose with one shot with these.
Any thought on this ?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Buffalo Bore 30-30 190 grain

Post by GunnyMack »

Mass equals energy. We all know that placement of a bullet means just as much as construction. I bet the lower velocity of that 190 rainbows quite a bit more but does that 20 grains more mean the difference of getting thru both lungs of a moose or not with a 170? Lots of variables, hit a rib? Broad side?
Buddy of mine in Colorado uses his original 86 in 40-65 for elk. 265 hard cast at about 1800(IIRC) will go clean thru an elk as far away as you care to try.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

No experience with those, but someone on one of these sites showed a photo of two rem. 170 corelokts recovered from a bull moose that were the most perfect mushrooms you could ask for.The moose of course was very dead. :mrgreen:
Not sure the BB stuff can make them deader.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

As far as performance, my bet is you could exceed or equal it with the Barnes 150 grain x flat nose or for fun a 200 grain round nose for the 308 or 3006. Probably no expansion, but beaucoup penetration.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I'd rather cast my own with RCBS 30-180FN, that weigh out to 195gr using Lyman #2, and work up a load for whatever out to MAYBE 100yds. That big flat nose out front doing about 1500-1600fps ought to get the job done. YMMV HTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I wonder if Buffalo Bore uses the Hawk 190gr JSP - does anyone know ?

If so, I'd like to give them a try in my .303 Savage Model 1899 - especially since the BB slugs seem to have jackets compatible with .30-30 velocities.

I think that they'll be a nice clone of the old & long-discontinued 190gr .303 Savage factory loads.

(The .303 Savage is a .30 cal ballistic twin to the .30-30)

I would think that most of the other heavy (180gr-220gr) .308" slugs have the thicker jackets compatible with the larger .30 cal standard & magnum cartridges.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Yeah, OK.

I get that there are myriad of recipes that might 'do better'.

I do pretty danged well with factory 170gr, but I have to say that I can't help but be curious.

Has anyone actually run a box of these through your Model 94?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I have not, and am also interested in hearing about some first hand accounts. Savage had an advertisement long time ago about somebody killing a whale :shock: with a .303 Savage with a 190 grain bullet, maybe some type of magic there :wink: . Perhaps the bullet is some type of hardcast. Be interesting to know what they use. If I was gonna shoot a Brown Bear with a 30-30, I'd probably spring for a couple of boxes of Buffalo Bore. More of a confidence factor than anything else.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

I've been wondering the same thing myself about the whole heavy 30-30 deal.

I found quite the discussion about lower pressures with leverevolution powder and heavy for caliber 30-30 over on the boolit site getting pretty good velocities. Ramps up the muzzle energy..
Interesting for sure.

I just transfered all my info over to the laptop (too many screenshots of good info!) so I'd have to dig if you want the link, but Google should bring it up.

Compared to most of you, I hardly know anything, but it got my attention.

Hopefully this helps :)
My first child - '94 30-30
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Buffalo Bore does use Hawk Bullets 190 gr.
siberian505
Levergunner

Post by siberian505 »

NOE makes a mold for the 30/30 in flat point that weighs 200. Also comes with a cup nose and hollow point plugs. I'm amazed what they will do in a standard chamber and an improved with leverevolution powder. Will be my hunting load this fall for whitetails in the wood river and a cow elk in fifteen mile country. Probably won't use the hollow point on a cow. Will shoot gallon jugs with both cup and hollow next week and report back.
windy
Levergunner

Post by windy »

About the whale--it's my understanding that native Alaskans don't shoot whales to kill them; if they did, the whales would sink and be lost. They shoot to wound them, weakening them so they can't stay down as long, then chase them down, get alongside, and put a harpoon in them with a barrel or two attached. Once they're unable to sink, they can be lanced to kill them, and safely dragged ashore. My source of this information was an accomplished whale hunter who said that he couldn't use anything more powerful than a 30-06, or the whale was likely to be killed by the shot and lost. I have no doubt that 303 Savage, 30-40 Krag, and 300 Savage, 7.65x54, 303 British all have been used successfully. I remember, too, that back in the '60's, when I bought my first deer rifle at a store in Bellingham WA, a fishing port, the salesman told me that most of the old 30-40 Krags he sold went to fishermen, who used them to kill "blackfish" raiding their salmon nets and pitched them overboard, rusted out, at the end of the season. Blackfish, he said, was their name for orcas--killer whales. I haven't witnessed either event; just sayin'.
mind yer topknots!
windy
sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter".
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:P I have "heavy" 30wcf....It's called a .308.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I remember reading once that years ago folks used to pull 190 grain .30-40 bullets to load them in their .30-30s. It was my understanding that they did it more for accuracy than anything else.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Sam Fadala in his book, Winchester 94 , had a whole discussion on pulling 190 gr. bullets from the 300 savage rounds for reloading in the 30-30.
Can't remember the details and I think I have the book somewhere, but the idea was a "heavy" 30-30 round for bigger critters.
However.....Tell the Aussie guy that kills feral brush cattle with 150 gr. factory rounds that he "needs" a heavy thumper. Those bulls are tough ***'s
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

windy wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:36 am About the whale--it's my understanding that native Alaskans don't shoot whales to kill them; if they did, the whales would sink and be lost. They shoot to wound them, weakening them so they can't stay down as long, then chase them down, get alongside, and put a harpoon in them with a barrel or two attached. Once they're unable to sink, they can be lanced to kill them, and safely dragged ashore. My source of this information was an accomplished whale hunter who said that he couldn't use anything more powerful than a 30-06, or the whale was likely to be killed by the shot and lost. I have no doubt that 303 Savage, 30-40 Krag, and 300 Savage, 7.65x54, 303 British all have been used successfully. I remember, too, that back in the '60's, when I bought my first deer rifle at a store in Bellingham WA, a fishing port, the salesman told me that most of the old 30-40 Krags he sold went to fishermen, who used them to kill "blackfish" raiding their salmon nets and pitched them overboard, rusted out, at the end of the season. Blackfish, he said, was their name for orcas--killer whales. I haven't witnessed either event; just sayin'.
mind yer topknots!
windy
According to the article/advertisement, it killed the whale.
windy
Levergunner

Post by windy »

If it was an Eskimo doing the shooting, then he'd have to count that shot as a "miss", wouldn't he?
windy
sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter".
siberian505
Levergunner

Post by siberian505 »

The NOE 189 grain hollow point at just under 2300 stayed in the seventh water jug. The first three jugs were shredded. Remaining bullet weighed 99 grains. The cup nose was not recovered. It was lost after jug number six. Jug number seven was not injured.
Pretty impressive for the wicked little thirty.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I was offered once the most beat up rusted old cut-down Lee Enfield .303 (Still worked but the bore was a sewer pipe) It had been used over the years for killing over a hundred whales. Beached ones, with an FMJ to the head. He said they all died straight off. I am not sure what this proves, except that you can literally say the .303 has killed the largest creatures in the world and you would be right.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

siberian505 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:22 pm The NOE 189 grain hollow point at just under 2300 stayed in the seventh water jug. The first three jugs were shredded. Remaining bullet weighed 99 grains. The cup nose was not recovered. It was lost after jug number six. Jug number seven was not injured.
Nice write up, thanks. What was the powder type and weight? Todd/3leggedturtle
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

windy wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:36 am About the whale--it's my understanding that native Alaskans don't shoot whales to kill them; if they did, the whales would sink and be lost. They shoot to wound them, weakening them so they can't stay down as long, then chase them down, get alongside, and put a harpoon in them with a barrel or two attached. Once they're unable to sink, they can be lanced to kill them, and safely dragged ashore. My source of this information was an accomplished whale hunter who said that he couldn't use anything more powerful than a 30-06, or the whale was likely to be killed by the shot and lost. I have no doubt that 303 Savage, 30-40 Krag, and 300 Savage, 7.65x54, 303 British all have been used successfully. I remember, too, that back in the '60's, when I bought my first deer rifle at a store in Bellingham WA, a fishing port, the salesman told me that most of the old 30-40 Krags he sold went to fishermen, who used them to kill "blackfish" raiding their salmon nets and pitched them overboard, rusted out, at the end of the season. Blackfish, he said, was their name for orcas--killer whales. I haven't witnessed either event; just sayin'.
mind yer topknots!
windy
Here's an interesting video about native whale hunters in the far east Russia just across the Bering Strait from Alaska. Their methods reflect the techniques you described except it looks like they used AKs which isn't surprising they being in Russia.
https://youtu.be/LMjD_wrb3jk
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:29 pm
siberian505 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:22 pm The NOE 189 grain hollow point at just under 2300 stayed in the seventh water jug. The first three jugs were shredded. Remaining bullet weighed 99 grains. The cup nose was not recovered. It was lost after jug number six. Jug number seven was not injured.
Nice write up, thanks. What was the powder type and weight? Todd/3leggedturtle
I'll second that..
..and what were you shooting it out of?
My first child - '94 30-30
siberian505
Levergunner

Post by siberian505 »

Shot from my everyday day rifle. Winchester model 64A so it's a twenty four inch barrel.
Load is 34 grains of leverevolution with both the hollow point and cup point. 2225 fps-33es-16sd for the hollow
2185fps-25es-12sd for the cup. This is the Ackley improved chamber. Tried several other powders, nothing gave accuracy and velocity like LVR in my rifle.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I have a LEE 2 Cavity Bullet mold .309-180 grain round nose gas check. I used this mold to cast a bunch of bullets using wheel weight alloy for my 30/06 probably 2 decades ago. Using pure lead would you think this bullet safe to load in a 30/30 tube fed magazine?

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31