Figured out some of the sleep problems

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Figured out some of the sleep problems

Post by J Miller »

I don't sleep well, that's a given. This morning I was sleeping in the front room chair when I began to wake up. For the first time I could hear myself sort of choking as I came too. I was sleeping in the chair because during the night my sinuses filled up and I couldn't breath laying down. With the sinus infection I picked up in the hospital, my head is full of goo and when I'm asleep my mouth opens and the part at the base of the sinuses closes off.
I do not know what this is called, but somewhere I read an article about a chin strap thingy that holds the mouth closed so you breath through the nose which prevents this. I want to look it up, but Google is not my friend as I simply do not know how to describe it.

Does any one here know what I'm trying to find?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Figured out some of the sleep problems

Post by Blaine »

Sleep apnea....I've been on a CPAP for years. I'm sure it saved my life.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Joe, I am no doctor but it certainly sounds like you may be suffering from sleep apnea. You need to see a physician and get it checked out. Apnea is a serious problem and can bring on serious consequences, including heart attack, stroke, sudden death. Fortunately, it is treatable, but you need a diagnosis and then proper treatment if the condition is confirmed.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Get a home monitor device from your doctor. Not all sleep labs do have them , but because of high cost of a sleep study these are becoming more popular. Insurance will cover them. You just wear it for one night and return it. If it is real abnormal they will want you to come in for a full sleep study.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

The fellers are right. My late wife died of heart problems brought on by years of un-diagnosed sleep apnea (late '70s). I too was having minor sleep problems but I had sinus problems on top of that. Most symptoms left when I had a sinus "roto-rooter" done. See a Dr. soon, it is treatable...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I too have sleep apnea and use a CPAP every night. Prior to that I'd wake after an episode extremely over heated and would have to discard any sleep clothing because it would be sweat soaked and by that I mean jump in a pool soaked. I got smart after one episode and checked my BP; the top number was 210 (I am normally in the 120's). After that I scheduled a sleep study. In fact it was near you at Fort Wayne's Parkview Hospital. I've used a CPAP ever since.

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

A friend passed away due to SA, so after years of waking my wife up with my snoring, snorting, quit drawing breaths, etc.. I finally did my sleep study. The results showed severe sleep apnea. I think I averaged 51 events/hr with the longest being 40 some seconds. Needless to say, I got a CPAP mask, and the wife got to sleep at night. I also ordered in a power supply that runs the machine when hooked to a 12 volt battery for the occasional night or two out camping/hunting. If I know I'll be out for a couple days the little Honda generator has a 12v output on it to top off the battery during the day at camp.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

SA isn't hard to diagnose. I know a CPAP machine saved my life.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I tried to reply to a question about the use of the battery operated power supply to a PM but it looks stuck in my Outbox, so I'll leave a reply here in case it helps anyone else out regarding "will the truck battery run the CPAP all night and still start the truck in the morning".

I don't know..lol. I had a spare jeep battery that I stuck in the back of my truck and it had a full charge on it. I put it in my tent once I had camp set up and got the 2 nights on the CPAP out of it no problem. When I'd stop into camp for lunch, I'd fire up the little Honda generator for 20 minutes and let it charge the battery. I just layed there in that nice comfy cot with the CPAP on grinning, listening to the elk bugle and coyotes howl close by. My hunting buddy was in his tent maybe 30' away and never heard a snore come out of my tent while we were on top of the mountain. I've got a Resmed S9 CPAP, and the power supply I take with me to run on 12 volt is a Resmed part# R360-792 (DA-90B24). Looks just like my one for the house, except is has black and red battery clamps instead of a 120V cord. Came in handy 2 or 3 times at home when we had power outages that lasted a while during the night. I just went out to the garage and got that spare battery and set it next to the bed, put the battery clamps to it, and went to sleep...hahaha
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sleep Apnea is nothing to play with. Get checked out. Also, balloon sinuplasty will open your sinuses up for years. It might eventually need to be redone, but it works very well for a long time.
What antibiotic did they give you for the sinus infection?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

draperjojo wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:11 pm I tried to reply to a question about the use of the battery operated power supply to a PM but it looks stuck in my Outbox, so I'll leave a reply here in case it helps anyone else out regarding "will the truck battery run the CPAP all night and still start the truck in the morning".

I don't know..lol. I had a spare jeep battery that I stuck in the back of my truck and it had a full charge on it. I put it in my tent once I had camp set up and got the 2 nights on the CPAP out of it no problem. When I'd stop into camp for lunch, I'd fire up the little Honda generator for 20 minutes and let it charge the battery. I just layed there in that nice comfy cot with the CPAP on grinning, listening to the elk bugle and coyotes howl close by. My hunting buddy was in his tent maybe 30' away and never heard a snore come out of my tent while we were on top of the mountain. I've got a Resmed S9 CPAP, and the power supply I take with me to run on 12 volt is a Resmed part# R360-792 (DA-90B24). Looks just like my one for the house, except is has black and red battery clamps instead of a 120V cord. Came in handy 2 or 3 times at home when we had power outages that lasted a while during the night. I just went out to the garage and got that spare battery and set it next to the bed, put the battery clamps to it, and went to sleep...hahaha
Thanks.... I'll sleep inside the truck on long trips for a couple nights and wondered about battery life. I've got the 12V converter, but have never tried it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Wife just got one yesterday & used it last night... Yikes! look out now.. Up an hour earlier w/ hands on her hips & raring to go... The machine will give a sleep report of how many apneas per hr., mask fit and much more. The "Mask"just covers the end of the nose. With that kind of mask it gives an old bearded dog like me new hope.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I'm not one to discuss my personal health situation for the whole world to read, generally. But getting old is, well, getting old.

After noting that I generally needed a nap at 4:30 PM every day, and feeling low much of the day - even after a "good night's sleep" - a sleep test revealed that I was waking up 20-22 times an hour - very, very dangerous was the diagnosis. No wonder I kept waking up my wife with snorts. I had thought it's just because I was getting more bullish.

My CPAP device as prescribed changed my life - no more mid-day naps; requiring about 6-7 hours sleep instead of an hour or so longer; and even less desire to overeat. But with more exercise and less unneeded "fuel," my fairly rapid weight loss changed the curvature of the CPAP device and it started leaking. And it's a bother to clean it every morning as prescribed (oils and such mess up the seal).

So I went to a splint - a plastic device you put on your upper and lower teeth like a teenager's retainer - which forces your lower jaw forward to open up the throat's airway. It has little plastic spikes on the bottom piece that look like vampire teeth, and they engage with notices in the upper piece. That puts your lower jaw forward, which opens up your airway; just like one is taught to do when they administer CPR. You can still open your mouth, but of course your speech is a bit funny. You shouldn't spill all your secrets while you are asleep, anyway!

That splint - yes, it was expensive, although it was largely covered by my insurance.

BUT, if you don't have insurance coverage for this - you can get devices as advertised online and on TV that probably do the same thing (or nearly so) for much, much less money.

I am quite happy with the splint, so no more changing water and extensive cleaning of a mask, nor do I have to haul around machinery and look for electrical outlets. I just soak the splint in a solution like folks with false teeth do each morning. If you can get a splint - even one sold by TV or Internet ads, I believe it is worth the gamble. This apnea is nothing to trifle with.

And there was the advice from my Primary Care Physician (family doctor) - prop yourself up a bit and the tongue is less likely to block your airway.

So, Joe:
As noted above, it is highly doubtful that you DON'T have sleep apnea, which is a silent killer. Even if you don't croak in your sleep, your brain is robbed of oxygen which has a cumulative effect. As for me, I want to preserve the tiny bit of brain power that I possess.

1) Look into a splint device for apnea - and if you don't have good medical coverage, investigate those TV / Internet offers for a somewhat generic splint.

2) A simple remedy that might help - put a slight wedge under your mattress that lifts your torso and head up a bit higher than the rest of your body. My doctor suggested a styrofoam wedge, or even a small slight plywood ramp, if necessary. Just something to raise you up in addition to a pillow.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Aloha Joe, I too suffered similar symptoms to your's, and about 9 months ago had a overnight sleep study performed at a local medical center sleep lab. Sleep apnea was verified, and I have been on a CPAP machine ever since. I also have my chronic bum back, and GERD so I sleep very comfortably on a hammock to deal with back pain and GERD. I would recommend you try a hammock to sleep in. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31