Good day at the gun show.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Good day at the gun show.

Post by 2ndovc »

My dad and I went to a local show today. We both found a couple little trophys.
He picked up a nice heavy barreled Ruger MK III 22/45 almost new in the box for $250. He was really excited about that.
I bought a really nice sporterized Springfield 1903. Nicely done in the '50s or early '60s with a Herters stock and Redfield peep sight. It's seen a little use but cleaned up really well. On my way to round up the Old Man I passed a guy toting around a very odd looking Martini. He had a very heavy 16 1/4" barrel on it chambered in .460 S&W with a Bushnell scout scope set up on it.
He said he was bored with it and had other projects to finish, so for $200 it was mine. So $200 for the Martini and $300 for the Springfield and were out the door.
Don't know much about the .460 but I spent some time with my loading books and from what I can see the cartridge will be ok in a large frame British made Martini as long as I stay under the max loadings. I rarely hot rod anything. I have quite a few Martini parts in my bins but I'll have to order a new fore end. Looking forward to experimenting with it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Good day at the gun show.

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice catch on the Springfield. Especially like the Redfield peep. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Good eye !

The Redfield peep is worth at least half of what you paid for the entire Springfield, peep & all.

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Some times you can find cool things at a gun show & some times you can get a good deal You got Both !!!

Brad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys,

I haven't had a day like that in years. People were in a selling mood yesterday. There were several guns I'd looked at that I probably would have brought home. The guy I bought the Springfield from had a sporterized No 4 Enfield that caught my eye first but it had a really odd finish, like a DuraKote gone wrong so I left it behind.
Still researching the .460 S&W, interesting cartridge. I'm going to be out near a large gun shop today, going to see what they have for components. I have plenty of bullets and powder but no brass or dies.

jb 8)

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Some of those old Martini actions can be sketchy! Be sure to check it out closely, and make sure it's not some Khyber Pass clone that shouldn't be chambered in almost any CF caliber. Even if it's a good Martini action, I'd be loading very mild .460 loads, as that round could hurt even a good older Martini.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Yep, I know what you mean. It's not an Afghan hut job action, wouldn't have bought it. I'm going to start with .45 Colt loads and work my way up. I don't know much about the .460 S&W but I knew it would be pretty close to the limits of a Martini action.
The .577 Nitro Express is fairly close to the limits of a Martini but they've been around for quite awhile, but still below the Max loads of a .460. No intention of going there anyway. If it had been my choice I would have chosen a much milder cartridge.
If it gets too weird I'll scrap it and have it re-bored and chambered /re-barreled to something else. Just something fun to experiment with.

jb 8)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, gun show therapy is very healing in my experience. And you got to go with your father. Does it get any better?
As to that Martini, you could go totally retro and load with black powder and paper patched bullets.
8)
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Great finds! When I first saw the Martini I thought it might be something with a suppressor.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill,
My thoughts too. Dad's 76 but he's probably in better shape than I am these days. :D

Ben,
That barrel is 1 1/8" in dia. Could easily pass for a suppressor SBR kinda thing. I'm up on the air on what to do with it. I've been wanting another Martini project but was thinking 45-70 or 38-55. Gonna be fun either way.

jb 8)

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That's where I'd take it too! A .45-70 or .38-55 with a longer octagon or half octagon barrel, would make a great looking gun, and fun shooter!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Perhaps for a suppressed project, the small Martini- 45 Colt w/ heavy bullets
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Heck if your gonna redo the Martini, make it in 38WCF. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!