36 RPP?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

36 RPP?

Post by wvfarrier »

A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 36 RPP?

Post by AJMD429 »

Interesting.

Not in the market personally, and I'm sure there are other 'simpler' ways to get the additional ballistic performance using a different gun or cartridge, BUT I'm always glad to see innovation and progress in the firearms industry. It is a sign of health of the industry, interest in the hobby, and at least some indication that there may continue to be young people interested in 'the shooting sports', which tends to facilitate an armed and stable society.

Plus - any excuse to buy a new 'toy' is a good thing..... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

We took a look at this one and fussed over it. The meat starts about post 17 in this thread. Ranch Dog drew a picture and I looked at case capacity.
If I were younger this would interest me quite a bit. They have a pretty good idea. If I were them I would make "truck gun" version at lower cost. It would make a good airplane gun.

https://www.shootersforum.com/leverguns ... arlin.html
Slim
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I have emailed them back and forth a bit, I have interest, but have not been sold that this would be any easier or cheaper than a 348DC.
Also, Gary Reeder fiddling around and now has one of his wildcats that might be in same ball bark.

I am not a metallic reloader, so all of that would be new to me, I would be looking at the easiest to load vs performance.

I am still not done kicking around the idea of necking up the 338 marlin express to 348 or 358, which on computer at least is putting me in same ball park.
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

All of your thoughts are reasonable.
For tooling the .36 RPP may be the lowest cost. You may be able to fiddle with various dies for the others.
If you are a cast bullet shooter look carefully at how long your bullets are and the neck length of your cartridge.
The blown out sharp shoulder short neck cases will challenge the cast bullet shooter - it can be done but it is harder.

The .36 RPP is very much like the .35 Winchester. Reasonable pressure for good performance with heavier bullets.
The .338. marlin may give similar performance I have just not looked there. The brass will be the easy part for the .36 RPP.
Slim
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I wanted to comment on the .348DC seperatly. The .348DC is a pretty good idea. I would prefer a .35 caliber but there are enough bullets readily available. 7f a bit spendy. I loaded and shot a Model 71 carbine enough to enjoy it but the carbine was neVer more than the .356 Winchester and I prefer it.
The .348DC should have a reasonable tooling cost.
Slim
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

.358JDJ?

I wonder how close.
Slow is just slow.
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

.358JDJ is too long.

I drew the three cartridges but cannot post them. Photobucket and my tablet don't like each other today. It looks to me like the .348DC has an advantage for the cast bullet shooter with its longer neck. Next the .36RPP. The .35-.338ME has a rather short neck if we are thinking heavier/longer bullets. Case capacity is not too different.
Slim
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Too long for what?

( I was asking how close the JDJ was to the 36RPP)

But as far as Marlins go... I don't see how the 358JDJ can be too long if they make 444's? Obviously you couldn't use spire points...
Slow is just slow.
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

They grow a little when sized down.
The .357JDJ case is listed as 2.20"

The 220-grain Speer is 1.019" Speer.With .469" in side - to the cannalure we have .550" outside the case the COL 2.750"

The Hornady 200-grain round nose is.890" long. With .305" inside and .585" outside the COL is 2.785"

RPP and others work the action to cycle a longer COL. The bullet diameter tapers quickly above the cannalure so it is tough to seat them deep.

I figured I would ad the drawing here. These may not be 100% accurate figures but they give a reasonable representation of the three cartridges.
Slim
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I really enjoy it when you folks start talking!!!
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

You know your Dog is smarter than me..... [:^)]
Slim
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Interesting, but the .356 is a lot less trouble for questionable gain in performance. You can improve .356 ballistics by handloading, cause the .36 RPP will be a handloaded deal also. Out of 20" barrels, what would the gain be with the .36? If the .356 and .338 Marlin couldn't catch on, doubt if this one will. All said, I hope it is a success! :)
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

There is a medium size group of shooters who want heavier cast bullets at modest velocities over the faster jacketed bullets. The .356 is about ideal case capacity wise with the 200- and 220-grain bullets. I have anexample of the Winchester 220-grain load in my collection.
Some want the 275-grain and heavier bullets. This is where the RPP and DC cases will shine
Slim
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

I know this is a very old topic, but I wonder if anybody recalls any success with this wildcat?

JBowen
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Interesting the original post on this was from THIS website - they now make bunches of levergun-modernizing stuff to irritate the blued-steel-and-walnut folks... :D

https://rangerpointstore.com/

I have BOTH kinds of leverguns - ones beautifully finished in the traditional way, and ones without wood, and able to mount modern sights for after-dark use.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I always wondered how a 7mm-338ME would perform? Like a 7mm-08 +p? or a 280 Rem
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Rockrat wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:31 pm I always wondered how a 7mm-338ME would perform? Like a 7mm-08 +p? or a 280 Rem
Rockrat, Layne Simpson built a 7mm STE ( Shooting Time Easterner) but necking down the 307 Winchester and had a custom barrel fitted
to a Marlin. It would probably real close to what you are suggesting.
I have a 7 x 30 Waters and it is near impossible to find the correct 120- 139 FN bullets for it. It is an accurate shooter for sure.

Anyway here is the link to Laynes write up:
https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editori ... 0808/83789

JBowen