Marlin "Cowboy" Rifles -- Revisited

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin "Cowboy" Rifles -- Revisited

Post by Old No7 »

For whatever reasons, I sold off a nice Marlin Cowboy in 38-55 a few years ago...

Now that I think about it, I really liked the rifle itself. But it was the large blocky God-awful "Statue of Liberty" base on the Marble's tang sight that I had added which really turned me off, as it didn't allow you to wrap your thumb around the wrist like you wanted to do. Somebody made me an offer and caught me in the mood to sell, so away it went.

Still, they do have nice actions, and very nice lines and handling with those long octagon barrels; and those made with the "JM" stamping are really nice rifles overall.

Gee... Do you hear that sound???

I sure do!!! That's the Marlin Cowboy calling out to me...

So it's time to "COWBOY UP" again for me! :wink:

I've started off on this journey again by finding a decent, used 20" Marlin Cowboy in .38/.357 (with Ballard rifling and "JM" marking) for under $600.00 OTD. Originally, I'd thought about flipping it to make a few bucks.... But I have to admit that the more I shouldered it and handled it with the slim forearm and slightly heavier octagon barrel -- next to my 18.5" round-barreled fat-forearm 1894C -- the more and more I liked the Cowboy!!! I was hoping to find a 24" one, but this one will do to start.

But I do like my Marlin stocks to be checkered... Just my preference, I guess; as I will use them to hunt in the thick woods here in Maine. So... For about $750.00 all in -- I found that I can easily add a checkered forearm and buttstock, and then I'll have a nice l'il Marlin Cowboy in the caliber that I want -- all for a nice price too, as some shooters on another forum told me that "$900 to well over $1,000..." was the going rate for a "JM Cowboy" in 38/357.

But oh, it doesn't stop there...

I've got a line on a nice, used Marlin Cowboy in 38-55 -- but without a tang sight added yet, so I can install something better/different this time. I've been told that I'm first in line for it, but the seller and I need to connect to close the deal. AND, I've also just won an auction for a nice used 1897 Marlin Cowboy in 22 LR. And both of those will be acquired at lots less than GunBroker's prices too. :D

So it seems that very soon, I'll be adding a 38-55 and also changing over my current stable of round-barreled Marlins (1894C in .357 and 39A Mountie in 22) over to checkered/octagon Cowboys; unfortunately, those will have to be sold to fund the conversion.

Wow... I really didn't see this horse coming down the road a few weeks ago, but it sure seems like I jumped onboard and will take a wild ride with it!!!

I know... Pictures... You'll all want to see some pictures... So I added one down below, but the pix of the rifles will come in time...

Anybody else ever been bit by the Marlin Cowboy bug??? I did -- 3 times in 2 weeks!!!

Tight groups.

Old No7

Marlin Cowboy Ad (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin "Cowboy" Rifles -- Revisited

Post by Pitchy »

My Marlin Cowboy, JB marked in 45-70 is one of my favorite rifles.
Smooth and light. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
If your going to jump back in then why hold back. Go for a CCL 41 mag ! That will cure you real fast.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

The Marlin CB I have in 38-55 is one of my favorites, I have toyed with the idea of selling it but shook that off when I took it out
shooting, I can see why you want to replace the one that got away as they are a fine gun!!
I put a scope on mine for awhile just to see how well it shot with 3 different cast bullets & powder & was shocked how much
tighter the groups were, that told me im getting old & cant see the sights any more

Brad
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

My bug was years ago. I have 5. 45 Colt, 357, 38-55, and 2 30-30s....all 24" bbls. 38-55 and 1 30-30 are factory conversions. All are shooters, accurate. You can not go wrong with a Cowboy.

TomF