Ruger Gunsite in 450 Bushmaster

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Ruger Gunsite in 450 Bushmaster

Post by AJMD429 »

Well.....450 Bushmaster isn't as cool as 50 Beowulf [ :wink: ] - but this looks kinda interesting....

http://ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger Gunsite in 450 Bushmaster

Post by FWiedner »

I like it...

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My 450 upper is enough! I still say the 450 is an extremely accurate and forgiving cartridge to reload, every load/ bullet combo I've tried all shoot the same. Small groups are the norm.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:45 pm Well.....450 Bushmaster isn't as cool as 50 Beowulf [ :wink: ]

To each his own !

I've messed with the 450 the 50 and the Socom . And my preference is the 450 hands down .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Check out the new Ruger American Carbine in .450 Bushmaster too. Looked at one at my local dealers' this week, and may have to grab it. A lot of gun for less than five bills. I picked up a Ruger Gunsite Scout last year in .308 and it is a tack-driver. Removed the forward rail and mounted my scope conventionally though. In my opinion, Ruger has captured the bolt-action centerfire rifle market.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sorry, those Ruger Americans are just ugly rifles, no matter what caliber they're in.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I kinda wish the 450 used .458's instead of .452's.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

FWiedner wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:32 am Sorry, those Ruger Americans are just ugly rifles, no matter what caliber they're in.
I feel the same way BUT they are quite accurate out of the box and sell like hot cakes around here especially in the 450 Bushmaster. I do like my stainless Ruger GSR that I picked up in trade a few months ago. I'm having it rebored by JES to 358 Win. Should be coming back any day now.

Mainehunter
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The rainbow trajectory detracts from it's intended mission.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

BlaineG wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:26 pm The rainbow trajectory detracts from it's intended mission.
Number One... I have no experience with the cartridge, but in reading I came across this:

"Ballistically the round is very flat out to 200 yards; if the firearm is zeroed at 150 yards, the user can expect to see a rise of 1.8 inches at 100 yards, zero at 150 yards and a drop of 2.4 inches at 200 yards."

Number Two... Is the above true or BS?

Up 2 Down 2 inside 200 yds is not usually what I visualize when I think about "rainbow" trajectories.

:?:

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Some people need straight as a string to hit things, some people don't. One man's rainbow...

That aside, I think you might be confused about it's "intended purpose".
Slow is just slow.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not quite that flat, FWiedner, but not too bat for hog-hunting or bear-hunting range....

https://support.remington.com/PREMIER%C ... Bushmaster
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Mainehunter, I am on the long side of 78 and don't cipher real good anymore so tell me how Jes is going to take a 450 size bore down to a 358 bore. He did a 30-30 up to 38-55 for my son and it is a very accurate rifle
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:22 pm Not quite that flat, FWiedner, but not too bat for hog-hunting or bear-hunting range....

https://support.remington.com/PREMIER%C ... Bushmaster
Those tables tell a story that's a little different, probably more realistic for factory ammo, but I'd have to consider that it's Remington.

Remington seems to load their big-bore ammo like a guy is gonna be pitching it over home plate in a softball game. :lol:

Thanks, Doc.

:)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

cas wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:15 pm Some people need straight as a string to hit things, some people don't. One man's rainbow...

That aside, I think you might be confused about it's "intended purpose".
Know what? Don't be a dick :wink:
I've hunted with a 45-70, a 12 slug gun, and a .54 Renegade and bow, and successful with all. That aside, you might familiarize yourself with the intended mission of a military scout. Cooper would disagree with you. You might want to actually read what the Father of the Scout Rifle had to say about them.

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/07/2 ... ifle-rule/

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JerryB wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:26 pm Mainehunter, I am on the long side of 78 and don't cipher real good anymore so tell me how Jes is going to take a 450 size bore down to a 358 bore. He did a 30-30 up to 38-55 for my son and it is a very accurate rifle
He's said he's starting with his "Ruger GSR" So I'm thinking his is the one in 308 Win they already came out with.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

JerryB wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:26 pm Mainehunter, I am on the long side of 78 and don't cipher real good anymore so tell me how Jes is going to take a 450 size bore down to a 358 bore. He did a 30-30 up to 38-55 for my son and it is a very accurate rifle
JerryB, it was originally in 308 Win. As far as I know all Ruger GSR came in that caliber only.

Mainehunter
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

FWiedner wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:04 pm
BlaineG wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:26 pm The rainbow trajectory detracts from it's intended mission.
Number One... I have no experience with the cartridge, but in reading I came across this:

"Ballistically the round is very flat out to 200 yards; if the firearm is zeroed at 150 yards, the user can expect to see a rise of 1.8 inches at 100 yards, zero at 150 yards and a drop of 2.4 inches at 200 yards."

Up 2 Down 2 inside 200 yds is not usually what I visualize when I think about "rainbow" trajectories.

Here's the data from Hornady's .450 Bushmaster load.
.450 Bushmaster Hornady Trace Report.jpg
.450 Bushmaster Hornady FTX.jpg
As you can see, it falls short of that claim. To get it to come anywhere near that, you would have to push it at 2900 fps!!!! I'm sure that might create some pressure issues. And even if you could, the midrange trajectory does not match the claim you found.
.450 Bushmaster 2900 fps.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

What's the rate of twist? Hope a little quicker than my Bighorn Armory 460. IIRC the BH is 1-38, not much hope to stabalize a heavy long bullet at a reduced velocity. I tried a 350 cast and 50 yds is about it for any tight groups.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:31 am
FWiedner wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:04 pm

Here's the data from Hornady's .450 Bushmaster load.
.450 Bushmaster Hornady Trace Report.jpg
.450 Bushmaster Hornady FTX.jpg

As you can see, it falls short of that claim. To get it to come anywhere near that, you would have to push it at 2900 fps!!!! I'm sure that might create some pressure issues. And even if you could, the midrange trajectory does not match the claim you found.
.450 Bushmaster 2900 fps.jpg
The original Scout Rifle concept was for 400 Man-Paces. Riflemen can have anything they want, but this current trend of calling everything a Scout rifle is irritating.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

At least they didn't call it a Tactical Scout Rifle! Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:29 am The original Scout Rifle concept was for 400 Man-Paces. Riflemen can have anything they want, but this current trend of calling everything a Scout rifle is irritating.
When the opened the Gander Mountain in Tyler Texas in 2006 they had 2 nickel-plated, bead blasted Remington pump .308 rifles in stock.
I was so tempted to buy one, but my dad had (now I have) an old Remington pump in .30-'06

My idea of a scout rifle would be a pump. I wish I had bought one of those and set it up like one.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I agree that 'scout' has become the new trendy-word, just like 'tactical'.... :roll:

However....whatever you want to call it, a sturdy, compact bolt-action in a big-bore cartridge like that IS pretty cool.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:43 pm I agree that 'scout' has become the new trendy-word, just like 'tactical'.... :roll:

However....whatever you want to call it, a sturdy, compact bolt-action in a big-bore cartridge like that IS pretty cool.
I, myself, am always happy when a manufacturer comes out with a new product. That they think enough people will buy it and they can make a profit on it is great.
I have to admit, some products boggle my brain...as in how can there be that many people that want that?

If I had an AR in ,450 Bushmaster I would definitely like a bolt rifle in the same caliber.
Even though I have plenty of calibers to cover most of my needs (.17 rimfire to .458 Lott) I'd still kinda like to have a nice bolt rifle in 6.5 Grendel to go with my coyote AR.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

The "Scout" rifle craze and nomenclature has had longer legs than the "short magnum" range of a few years back, i'll give it that (who the heck wants a Magnum that does not outperform the venerable 270 or '06?)

--- I haven't fallen prey to the "Scout concept" siren song yet -- but who knows ---- since I don't hunt anymore, I don't really feel the need to have a 2 MOA bolt action rifle , as most of them seem to be . My 30/30's can do that ---- The newest Ruger offering seems reminiscent of the Jungle Carbine in appearance though, and that is really cool
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:22 pmIf I had an AR in ,450 Bushmaster I would definitely like a bolt rifle in the same caliber.
Yeah. I have an AR in 50 Beowulf, and would like to have a bolt action 'companion gun' in the same chambering for similar reasons.

At least one nice thing is that the Beowulf and the 500 S&W (which I have in a levergun) do share the same bullet diameter, unlike some of the other "5's", and their loads and ballistics are almost identical, being both straight-wall cases of almost the exact same volume.

I'd like a bolt action in 32-20 as well, but the closest to that would be one of the now-discontinued Ruger 77/357's - I have one in 44 Mag, and it is my 'rain-hunting' gun - all stainless (except the NCGS aperture sight which is blued) and synthetic, with a rubber non-slip sling. Lets me keep the wood-and-blue 96/44 in out of the nastiest weather at least.

Like you, I think almost any new product is nice to see - perhaps it will strike someone's fancy, glean a new 'enthusiast' for firearms, make the industry some money, and make the U.S. just a tiny bit more 'pro-gun' in the process.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:46 pm At least they didn't call it a Tactical Scout Rifle! Todd
Don't get me wrong, I like how it looks and would love have it and use it if I didn't have 45/70 or 45Colt. Some products are just named so goofy, makes you wonder who comes up with the name or their reasons for it. Todd3/leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!