UP-DATE: Henry Big Boy Steel .357mag... again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

UP-DATE: Henry Big Boy Steel .357mag... again

Post by 1894c »

I finally got out and shoot my Henry Big Boy Steel in .38spl/.357mag (16" bbl with a big loop). My buddy (pictured here) and I took turns shooting at clay pigeons at 75 yards measured. We were using the factory iron sights, all I can say is that this levergun can shoot. Near the end we were both shooting parts of the clays. We shot 150 rnds of factory .357mag and 50 rnds of factory .38spl's, this levergun ate everything, no jams, no hick-ups, nothing (my former Marlin 1894C didn't like .38's at all).

My buddy, who has more leverguns than I really liked the loading tube, I concur, for me the loading tube is not a deal breaker. So this Henry is my new hunting rifle, weighs 6 1/2 lbs, not real light but not bad (I sold off everything else, just reducing the herd). I also just installed a Marble's Bulleye rear sight, will shot it this weekend to see if I like it. My friend has one on an old Steven's rolling block .32 cal rifle. I never shot this rifle before and was hitting clays with this sight at our measured distance.

By the way the final pic is a new potential duty pistol... Sig P320 Carry .9mm. Think Glock 19 with an 1/2 longer grip (instead of a 15-round mag the P320 has a 17-round mag), this auto is a tac-driver, may replace my Glock, we'll see... :)

See link for more details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXwgQmqp1hc
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0323.JPG
upc.jpg
317428.jpg
320ca-9-bss_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Henry Big Boy Steel .357mag... again

Post by wvfarrier »

I have the same rifle and youre right. They are shooters for sure
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have the full sized brass version and I'm tickled to death. :D :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

UP-DATE: Henry Big Boy Steel .357mag

Post by 1894c »

UP-DATE: So after installing the Marble's Bullseye rear sight I took the Henry out and measured off 75 yards and placed a billion clay pigeons on the bank. This Bullseye rear sight is as good as any other peep sight that I have ever used. Took about 4-shots to adjust the sight using the elevator, to be dead on (with both .357 & .38's, no jams, just ate both equally). I recommend that you try one of these sights.

NOW, if you're presently looking for a .357/.38spl in a levergun the Henry BB or BB Steel seems to be the only game in town. I looked at Bud's gun shop and gunbroker.com and you'll find no .357/.38spl levergun from REMarlin and Rossi R92. I took a look at the updated REMarlin website and there is NO mention of a 1894C, none, it seems they haven't made a 1894C since 2013 (I recently sold the two I had, money talks, leverguns walk).

Henry rifles are not as bad as many think, actually I like the one I own better than the 1894C's I sold... YMMV... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I saw some 158 grain .357 rounds at Wal-Mart yesterday. That was the first time in several years for them to be in stock. .357 is one of the calibers I don't have. I really should rectify that soon.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Pillar, you say you should rectify the lack of a 357, here? It's almost like you were expecting someone to jump up and say " No don't buy another gun.", here? In the land of enablers united! Well of course you should remedy that. If the the wife ask about the purchase you just tell her, SIXGUN, :lol: gave you permission.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:11 am I saw some 158 grain .357 rounds at Wal-Mart yesterday. That was the first time in several years for them to be in stock. .357 is one of the calibers I don't have. I really should rectify that soon.
Get a .357 long gun or if not, some Paisley Rompers.... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Re: UP-DATE: Henry Big Boy Steel .357mag... again

Post by Larkbill »

Great info. I've wanted a .357 lever to go with my Blackhawk for some time, and the loading doesn't bother me at all. Would be even more interested if it could accommodate the Max, maybe if enough of us ask Henry will stretch the action.

Post by piller »

fordwannabe wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:49 pm Pillar, you say you should rectify the lack of a 357, here? It's almost like you were expecting someone to jump up and say " No don't buy another gun.", here? In the land of enablers united! Well of course you should remedy that. If the the wife ask about the purchase you just tell her, SIXGUN, :lol: gave you permission.
No. I just don't have any handgun/carbine combination between a .44 Mag and a .40 S&W. I have a .327 Mag Henry on order to pair up with the Ruger SP101. That is filling in another gap.
I am saving up to fill in the .357 Mag gap. I have decided it will be the Henry. I have a Rossi '92 in .480 Ruger which I like very much, but I like Henry's customer service. If Henry would add a side loading gate, it would make their lever action rifles a Must Have instead of a want that is being saved for.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost