Winchester model 41 .410

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester model 41 .410

Post by walks with gun »

We were out garage sailing the other day and I found a old Winchester model 41, single shot bolt action 410 bolt. Extremely dirty, bolt would barely open, rust inside and out with several cracks in the stock. The older than I gentleman assured me he used to hunt with the gun and it worked well, i pointed out it couldn't work to well, being full of rust and that the rear of the extractor was broken off and missing. I never considered myself to be my parents brightest child so after some dickering, I gave him $30 and brought home this old gun. A bunch of oil, a couple copper bore brushes and some steel wool, the old bugger looks great, even managed to soak and scrub it off and preserve 90% of the original bluing. The bugger is, NOBODY has seen a replacement extractor for these for 20 years. So I'm wondering if anyone of you gentlemen have a shoebox full of extractors, know of anything else that could easily be made to work OR could tell me what type of steel (spring steel?) I would need to start filing out extractor. I figured I could do this because the claw part is still in the gun so I think I could remove it, Use it for a pattern for a new one. It will probably just be a wall hanger, but I like my wall hangers to be able to shoot too.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester model 41 .410

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Quick check shows about 23,000 of these were made, so there has to be a parts gun or two out there. By the way, I saw a post by a gunsmith saying he had one in for repair that was nearly ruined when the owner fired a 3-inch shell in it.
I do believe we will need some photos of your new Winchester!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I've been googling my butt off for a couple days trying to find parts and have about given up, that's why I was thinking of filing one out. I'll have to do some reading up on these things. The closet I can come to taking pictures is a old box of crayons, maybe I can bribe my daughter into doing it for me but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm thinking 2.75 inch or 2.50 whatever the short ones are, anytime the barrels are not marked I think it's best to use the shorter loads.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

2 1/2" is what you need.

As for an extractor, you could probably get by with a mild steel for a wall hanger. What I would do is get it off the bolt body, then get on GunParts web site, look at other extractor makes and maybe you'll find something close. Buy a few so you can try until it's right.

If you decide to make a new one, photo copy it so you can have a pattern, glue it to your steel and have at it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A few months ago my gun smith bought out a repair shop that went out of business. he showed me the stack of boxes and a lot of them were little brown envelopes stapled shut I call him in the morning and se if he might have one.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I called my gunsmith friend this morning about your gun. He said he did not have an extractor for it but he does have Winchester model 42 parts. He said to type in " obsolete Winchester parts" and a couple of companies will come up, but he could not remember their names.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Thank you much JerryB, I've tried every obsolete gun part company I could Google up, I know one shotgun gunsmith I will try calling again when he gets back from vocation, but it looks like I'll probably wind up filing one out, I'll just have to do some research on what to use.