Kid's first deer kill

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Kid's first deer kill

Post by t.r. »

This is an older photo I found and scanned to share with you all. My young friend borrowed my Glenfield 30-30 and nailed this big doe with one shot. The 150 grain core-lokt bullet was perfectly placed just behind the shoulder. This doe bounded away at the shot but toppled over in mid stride after running about the length of one school bus.

How many have started out with a 30-30 carbine?

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Kid's first deer kill

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Cool ! :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Not a 30-30 but the bolt action equivalent, 243 Win. Our family has one that gets handed to the next future hunter. Been thorough several generations now, and waiting for the next.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

He sure looks like a happy camper - Please congratulate him for us ! . :)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's great! If more people took a kid huntin,shootin, fishin our world would be a much better place!
While I was living in Colorado I helped out with YHEC, helped coach a group of kids in orienteering too. Was great satisfaction when a kid that was struggling with a task and finally got it would light up with that AH-HA look on their face. Always made me smile.
Congrats to your young friend! That is something he will always remember, you as well for taking the time to spend with him, job well done!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Way to go, i wish I could have had a picture of my first deer, but it was real expensive to have a painter trail along for a couple day's.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I had to wait till i was 38, and used a 7mm Mauser. Last year. My dad waited till this year, used another Mauser. He never got one prior to Vietnam, waited 35 years after to hunt anything not shooting back.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nice photo of a great memory!
started deer hunting at 12 years old in 67 & used a 32-20, at the ripe old age of 14 I saved my money & bought a new
Marlin Texan in 30-30, nearly 50 years later a 30-30 is one of my most shot guns, sad to say the Marlin has been gone for years :cry:

Brad
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thank your Dad for his service, for me please. I have rights, including having waaayyy too many guns, because he and fellows like him(and you too IIRC) put themselves between me and the people who want to take those rights. Congratulations on the first deer too.
When I was 12 on my first deer hunt with THE MEN...Grandfather looked at me and said..."well her to dam dumb to use a real gun (left handed) so he handed me a Winchester 1894, in thutty thutty and that was the beginning. ITS NOT MY FAULT I BLAME GRANDFATHER FOR ME BEING LIKE THIS.....thanks Grandfather.hehe
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

My first was a Michigan spike buck with a borrowed 30-30 as well.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

:D