LITTLE ASIAN GIRL, AFRAID OF GUNS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

LITTLE ASIAN GIRL, AFRAID OF GUNS

Post by gundownunder »

Three years ago my daughter married a man from Bali, Indonesia. He had a daughter from a previous marriage.
Two years ago as a 12 year old my new granddaughter received residence status in Australia, she arrived here in March 2015.
Back then she was a very shy little girl who spoke no English, other than "hello". Since then she has learned to speak English very well. She is now tri-lingual, speaking English, Indonesian, and Balinese.

When she was informed that her new grandfather was a shooter who owned several guns, she was not happy. In Indonesia only terrorists and the army have guns, excluding some rice farmers who may have an airgun to shoot small pests on their crops.
We told her that she could come out with poppy to shoot guns as well, and she was absolutely horrified at the idea.

Fast forward two years to 2017.
Back in February I asked her if she would like to try shooting just once to see what she thought of it. To my surprise, she agreed. So off we went to the range and she shot a 50 round lever action match with my 39A.
She was hooked.
Two weeks later she attended a CLAS match and shot with my Marlin Cowboy 357. I told her that she could shoot in the Western Australian state championships if we got her signed up for SSAA and the Perth Lever Action Rifle Club in time for the event, and she agreed.

We got the paperwork done in time and Thursday night my daughter delivered her to my place ready for the Easter weekend. Bright and early Friday morning we headed off to the range. The first match was the 80 round rifle match. Although the full house silhouette rounds I use for turkeys and rams tend to knock small girls around a bit Wina stood up and did what needed doing. Those loads consist of my homemade 180 grain Accurate bullets and a case full of ADI 2205 (IMR 4227) She entered the rifle match ungraded and walked away from her first 40 with an A grade. In her second 40 Wina shot another A grade score. First round was 15 points, and second was 20 points. 35 points was not enough to win an A grade medal but it was more than enough to show a bunch of experienced adult males how it should be done. Wina was awarded a junior gold medal for rifle.

Saturday we shot the 80 round pistol caliber match. Again Wina used the 357, but this time with a more sedate load made up of my home made 180 grain Accurate bullets and a case full of Trailboss. Last weekend we shot a pistol match and Wina scored 12 points. This put her in B grade for the championships this weekend. For her first 40 on Saturday she shot 15, her first A score. In her second 40 she shot 16, her second A score. Wina is now an A grader in pistol caliber CLAS. There were five B graders in the match. Wina, and four experienced adult males. At the end of the match Wina had earned not only the junior gold medal, but the gold medal for the B grade match as well.

Yesterday we shot the rimfire match. As we had shot the rimfire match last weekend Wina went into the match as an A grader, after last weeks score of 18. In her first 40 yesterday, she shot a score of 20. and in her second 40, a score of 16. Again she showed more than a few adults how it should be done. Unfortunately her score wasn't high enough to get an A grade medal, but she did take out the junior gold medal.

With a total of three junior gold medals, Wina took out the junior top gun trophy for 2017.
Add to that her B grade gold medal for the pistol caliber match, and there is no argument, Wina is going to be a force to be reckoned with at future events.

Wina has accomplished a lot in a very short time, and I am happy to shout it from the rooftops,
I AM VERY PROUD OF MY GRANDDAUGHTER, WINA
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
PatientWolf
Levergunner

Re: LITTLE ASIAN GIRL, AFRAID OF GUNS

Post by PatientWolf »

You are a very lucky grandfather and she is a very lucky granddaughter.
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

Way to go Grandpa! You're helping to raise her right. I hope to do the same with my granddaughters.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Wonderful! It seems as if she is doing quite well. Hope she continues to enjoy shooting guns.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

8) 8) 8) 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Well done for getting her over her fear of guns :D and well done Wina 8) it's a pity you can't take a few politicians to the range with the same results.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That is great, well done both of you :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Well done!

:wink:
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wowee !! this story made my morning, made my day!

you two are blessed to have each other : )
cable
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

OUTSTANDING ! !

Please convey our congratulations to her. :)

The next thing you know, she be applying to the AFP for a position ! ;)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

PatientWolf wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:28 pmYou are a very lucky grandfather and she is a very lucky granddaughter.
+1. Congrats to GFather & Gdaughter! :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I am so envious. By the age of 11 all my granddaughters have begun the process of weaning grandpas from their social schedule and by the age of 13 it is pretty much complete. I hear of exceptions to this natural phenomenon but it hasn't yet occurred in my family. Big congrats to the both of you!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Congratulations to her and you! Great that she was open to the exposure, and is now enjoying the sport!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Super! Goes to show you the brainwashing governments put in young people's minds when they are little.

Tell her congratulations from all of the boys here at Leverguns.--- :D ----6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

"I AM VERY PROUD OF MY GRANDDAUGHTER, WINA"

As you should be. And even more proud that you knew the best possible starter gun for those games. Many old gun cranks wouldn't even consider the .357...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I am CONVINCED that the humble 'levergun' is the best firearm for such an education and transition.

A breakopen is not exciting enough, a bolt-action is too 'sniperish', and of course a semiauto is an 'assault weapon' :roll:

.....but a levergun is not intimidating, and is easy to use, and FUN...!

CONGRATULATIONS for helping raise a wise grandkid.....too many geezers just sit and reminisce about how bad kids are these days, but fail to insert themselves in the lives of their grandkids.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Awesome job for the both of you!!

Brad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is simply WONDERFUL! Made my day!!! :D :D :D
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Congratulations to both of you. May she do well in future matches over the years to come. And you as her teacher & mentor must be proud(and rightly so)of her accomplishments knowing you are the one who guided her on this path. As a father and grandfather I realize it is not my accomplishments that matter anymore but the ones of my children and grandchildren are the ones that really matter at my age and it is my job to help and guide them so.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Thanks guys, Wina is really happy that so many people are congratulating her on a job well done.

Old Ironsights, I had no choice in the training tool, the 357 is the biggest gun I own, and it's what I've been using for CLAS for the past 6 years. I guess I will need to go shopping for a new gun for myself now.

Hey Gaucho, I'm glad my accomplishments don't matter any more, makes me feel a whole lot better about walking away from the state championships with only one bronze medal to show for it :lol: :lol: :lol:

We now have 6 months to train for the lever action nationals in Adelaide, South Australia.
That includes a 1700 mile camping road trip across the Nullarbor Plain, just to get there.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The camping trip sounds fun. It should be a chance to pass along knowledge about plants and animals.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost