Has anyone tried Skinner peep for Win 1892?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

Has anyone tried Skinner peep for Win 1892?

Post by cvarcher »

Skinner web site shows the model Winchester 94AE with a skinner top mounted reciever sight but when I asked if it would fit the Win 1892 they didnt know. Wondering if anyone has tried it.They do make one for 1886 but thats a larger sized reciever.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Has anyone tried Skinner peep for Win 1892?

Post by Pete44ru »

Winchester 1892/92's & 1894/94's historically shared the same sights from the factory, and I've mounted a Williams peepsight meant for the Model 94AE onto one of my Rossi M-92's via D/T'ing one 6-48 hole in the top of the rear half of the R & L receiver sidewalls, just forward of the locking lug recess.

The Skinner will fit the same way, but because of the way it's constructed (higher) your Model 92 will need a much taller front sight blade in order to achieve zero, besides the same 2 holes atop the receiver sidewalls.

Since the Williams 5D or FP 94AE sight body fits behind it's base, the aperture bar can sit lower, almost touching the bolt top (why I had to make a flat safety replacement plug for my Rossi), achieving zero using the issue height front sight blade.

Image Image

Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cvarcher »

AH, so it should be mounted in front of the locking lugs then ,not behind them--right? As for the thickness and width of the sidewalls of the 94 and 92 they are the same-right?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yes & Yes.

cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cvarcher »

Thankyou so much for this encouraging incite. Lets see what Turnbull does on my 1892 long rifle in 45LC. I sent it in for a half cock conversions along with some nice color case hardening and the sight change. Also a wolf hammer spring and lightening the cartridge loading gate spring.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The difference between the 94 receiver sight and the 86 sight is tr width of the sight arm/elevator (whatever you call it) since the 1886 and 71 are wider. I've used the 94 sight on the larger frame guns before and it worked, because the ranges I was shooting at left me plentry of windage adjustment.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

cvarcher wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:50 pm
Thankyou so much for this encouraging incite.

Lets see what Turnbull does on my 1892 long rifle in 45LC.

I sent it in for a half cock conversions along with some nice color case hardening and the sight change.

You're entirely welcome !

If it were my rifle, I'd send the sight base to Turnbull, after the rifle (and a conversation w/him prior to sending) - so he can D/T the receiver rails for the sight while he's working on the rifle.

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Aren't Skinner sights different than "normal" side mounted receiver sights (Lyman, Williams)? I looked at the web site and saw the Skinner sights barrel mounted in the rear sight dovetail for the Rossi Puma '92.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

mikld wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:51 am Aren't Skinner sights different than "normal" side mounted receiver sights (Lyman, Williams)? I looked at the web site and saw the Skinner sights barrel mounted in the rear sight dovetail for the Rossi Puma '92.
Beside the barrel dovetail mounted "peep" sights they first made, Skinner now makes a series of top-mounted receiver sights that either clip-on (.22RF's) or screw onto the receiver top.

Because their top-mounted receiver sights have a higher line-of-sight than most rifle's barrel-mounted iron/open sights, a new front sight that's taller then the issue front sight is usually required to achieve zero.

provvv
Levergunner

Post by provvv »

I'm not sure if this is helpful but Chiappa makes an 1892 Skinner version...it could be a good example of what it looks like

Here is the link: https://www.chiappafirearms.com/p.php?id=103

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

provvv wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:39 am I'm not sure if this is helpful but Chiappa makes an 1892 Skinner version...it could be a good example of what it looks like

That's Skinner's barrel dovetail mounted sight referred to above, and not a receiver peep sight - which allows much faster sighting/shooting.

provvv
Levergunner

Post by provvv »

Pete44ru wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:03 pm
provvv wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:39 am I'm not sure if this is helpful but Chiappa makes an 1892 Skinner version...it could be a good example of what it looks like

That's Skinner's barrel dovetail mounted sight referred to above, and not a receiver peep sight - which allows much faster sighting/shooting.

ah ok, so the receiver peep site or barrel dovetail sight is faster for sighting?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Most people believe a receiver-mounted peep is faster to aquire a sight picture than a barrel mounted peep. Maybe so, if you don't practice. I have a Skinner barrel mounted peep on my 1886 SRC and I love it.
Your sight radius is shorter, so less inherent accuracy. Again....practice. ....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

vancelw wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:23 am Most people believe a receiver-mounted peep is faster to aquire a sight picture than a barrel mounted peep. Maybe so, if you don't practice. I have a Skinner barrel mounted peep on my 1886 SRC and I love it.
Your sight radius is shorter, so less inherent accuracy. Again....practice. ....

+1

FWIW, I only leave the peepsight's aperture screwed into the sight when I am shooting at paper targets, as the smaller aperture returns slightly better accuracy.

For hunting however, I willingly sacrifice that tiny bit of accuracy for much faster shots, like when a game shot is suddenly presented, and remove the aperture from the peepsight, shooting through the resultant "ghost ring".

BTW: Best Practice, when shooting with any peepsight, is to look through the sight's aperture w/o actually seeing it, while focusing on the front sight & placing the front sight "on target" , beit game or paper.