Winchester 86 in 40-82 Deal or No?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger158
Levergunner 1.0

Winchester 86 in 40-82 Deal or No?

Post by Bridger158 »

I passed up a Winchester 86 in 40-82 today. It was a straight grip, full octagon barrel and full length magazine. No finish left, but did have rust spots. No pitting, however. Wood was in good shape, and it does not appear to have been bubba'd in any way. The problem in my mind was that the barrel was shot. It had pretty good rifling except in the last few inches of the bore. At that point it was basically non existent/very light.

Asking price was $1200. Did I screw up by walking?
Bridger158
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Winchester 86 in 40-82 Deal or No?

Post by Bridger158 »

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/635701147

It looked very similar to this, except as I said it was in 40-82.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Well, the value of that rifle is not going to decrease. And I've seen some pretty nasty looking bores shoot surprisingly well. Or you could get it relined. In any case, it's a genuine Winchester and you should go back and get it. :twisted:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

If you are having 2nd thoughts, you need to go buy it now! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Bridger158
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bridger158 »

Well, after looking again at my finances I have decided walking by was the right thing for me to do. Unfortunately, I was hoping you guys would confirm my thoughts and make that easier for me. That did not, in fact, happen.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Enabler's. All.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

PM the location to me...I may remove your temptation... :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

The rifling in some 86 barrels isn't real pronounced. I have a 40-82 that was made in 1887, and the rifling is there from one end to the other, but is not really highly pronounced. It shoots really well with those shallow rifling. $1200 for an original non-bubba'd rifle isn't too bad a price, depending on how many rust spots etc. If you don't have an original, its not too bad an entry fee to become an owner of a bonefide 86. YMMV, :)
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

I paid over 2k here in Aus for mine. It's 40-65 from 1888 and just a little better nick than the one in your link. I don't regret buying it.

They are hard to find, especially here in Australia.

I'd say it' a good deal but clear pics would help with your answer.

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bridger158 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:01 pmI passed up a Winchester 86 in 40-82 today. It was a straight grip, full octagon barrel and full length magazine. No finish left, but did have rust spots. No pitting, however. Wood was in good shape, and it does not appear to have been bubba'd in any way. The problem in my mind was that the barrel was shot. It had pretty good rifling except in the last few inches of the bore. At that point it was basically non existent/very light.
Asking price was $1200. Did I screw up by walking?
If rifling condition is more important to you, than say, owning a collectible firearm that may or may not be in shoot-able condition, then you did the right thing. Even if the bore was a sewer pipe, some will pay thru the nose if the balance of the arm is pristine. If "collectable" means nothing, and you just want a "shooter", sometimes one makes little concessions to condition, with the full knowledge that you're going to "restore" that aspect that will make it a good shooter. It's your money, your desire, so it's your choice. I.e.: add the cost of the restoration you'd do to make it a shooter to the purchase price and decide if that's a good exchange. And if you're not willing to make said modifications to an antique arm, and desire to have a shooter, then by all means pass.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Agree with what Griff posted above in Post #10.

Even though it is not the rifle the OP mentioned in his first post, I looked at the rifle in the link provided by the OP.

There is no mention of an inspection period. In my mind, that is a big red flag and should be clarified with the seller.

Over the years, I knew more than a few Winchester collectors, especially 1886 rifle collectors/shooters. They all agreed that when looking at an 1886 it is important to have knowledge, an inspection period, and/or get a factory letter. From what they said, the 1886 has almost achieved almost a Holy Grail status and it is real easy to unknowingly buy a parts/cannibalized/refinished rifle.Made me think of an article in the "Black Powder Cartridge News" magazine about a shooter who bought an 1886, then re-sold it. A few years later, he saw the same rifle at a gun show. Except by then it was re-barreled to a more desirable and not common .50 something and was being sold for an "original" rifle price. He kept a list of the 1886 rifles ad their calibre that he bought/sold and checked the serial number to that list.

Same applies to Springfield M1873 Trapdoors, especially the cavalry carbine. Know of two shooters who unknowingly bought cut down infantry rifles to carbine length. One shooter bought a cavalry carbine from a seller who did not know about the alteration and the seller offered to return his money; the other was a case of seller knowingly misrepresenting the firearm and refused to make amends.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.