UPDATE: Ruger Single-Six, blue, fix sights...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

UPDATE: Ruger Single-Six, blue, fix sights...

Post by 1894c »

I have (had) a Ruger Single-Six Old Model that I bought from my LE Agency auction for $75.00 in 2012, the finish was gone, but it wasn't rusted--and it shoots great. One of my buddies has been bugging me for the last couple of years to buy it. So I sold it to him for $75.00 (what can I say he's a friend). Any ways I decided to get another Single-Six, I bought a stainless model with a 4 5/8" barrel (convertible model).

I just didn't like the balance and the weight of the all steel pistol (the OM Ruger has a aluminum grip frame). So I sold that pistol to another friend (he gave me what I paid, mostly). So I ordered this week, and picked up today, a blue, fix sighted, 5.5" barrel convertible (see attached stock photo's).

I really like the balance and weight of this Single-Six (similar to my OM), the bluing is really nice, I like the fix sights, plastic grips are serviceable (but will be replaced), fit and finish are very good. Will be taking it out tomorrow to shoot clay pigeons...also bought some .22 Mag...life is good... :)

UPDATE: I took my new Single-Six to an area where we can shoot stuff. My buddy and I measured off 50 yards, set up a pile of clay pigeons. This Ruger can shoot, at least a minute-of-clay-pigeon. No, I didn't hit one clay one shot each time, but I was close, the more I shot the better I got (shot over 200+ rounds). Now the amazing part was shooting the .22Mag, I had two brands, one was CCI 40 grains and the other was Federal 30 grains. This fix sighted Ruger like the 30 grains better, it was very accurate in the sense that it was dead on at 50 yards, all I did was point and click, no more clay.

If you don't own a Ruger Single-Six you should. I've owned S&W K-22's, Ruger Mark II & III, Ruger SP-101 in .22cal.(8-shot), Ruger Bearcat, Walther P-22, and a couple of others, but the feel and the balance of the Ruger Single-Six is my favorite all time .22 revolver. Yeah it's a little slower to load and un-load, but there is a rhythm to it, and you won't blast through a whole brick... I is happy... :)
single-six.1957.jpg
637672_ts.jpg
1.jpg
wm_8290451.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger Single-Six, blue, fix sights...

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool! I've been wanting one, just can't seem to make up my mind on finish, barrel or sights. I keep leaning towards the long barrel fixed sight model so I'm really looking forward to hearing how it shoots.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I kept the aluminum frame on my converted Single Six, but on my Blackhawk I fitted a brass frame. The extra weight is a bear to hang off your belt but it sure feels good in your hand.
I'd really like to get a Bearcat someday...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

very nice and good stuff. love the Rugers. don't have a single six. uh-oh :lol:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I like the Ruger OM Single-Six also - A few years ago, I bought a like-new RSSM (.22 Mag-only), made in 1960 & so marked on the frame.

When I shot it, I found that two of the chambers were so tight that it was difficult to chamber ANY ammo (I tried several different brands/types) and nearly impossible to remove the fired brass from (I had to remove the cylinder & drive the empties out every time) - so I sent it to Ruger so those 2 chambers could be slightly reamed out a bit. :roll:

Instead of doing that, however, Ruger Customer Service replaced & timed a new .22WMR cylinder - Then also installed/timed a new LR cylinder, turning it into a convertible. :o

THEN, they sent it back to me, also including the original cylinder ( what do you call a 3-cylinder convertible ? ;) ) - all at NO CHARGE ! ! . :mrgreen:

Soooooo, I added a set of SI grip panels & called it good.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Pete44ru wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:12 am I like the Ruger OM Single-Six also - A few years ago, I bought a like-new RSSM (.22 Mag-only), made in 1960 & so marked on the frame.
I LIKE the dovetail rear sight. Wish my redhawk was set up that way.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Pete44ru,
I have returned two revolvers to Ruger for service unrelated to the cylinder. In both cases they were returned with a new cylinder fitted at no charge. That may be their standard procedure, perhaps for legal reasons.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Pete44ru wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:12 am .

I like the Ruger OM Single-Six also - A few years ago, I bought a like-new RSSM (.22 Mag-only), made in 1960 & so marked on the frame.

When I shot it, I found that two of the chambers were so tight that it was difficult to chamber ANY ammo (I tried several different brands/types) and nearly impossible to remove the fired brass from (I had to remove the cylinder & drive the empties out every time) - so I sent it to Ruger so those 2 chambers could be slightly reamed out a bit. :roll:

Instead of doing that, however, Ruger Customer Service replaced & timed a new .22WMR cylinder - Then also installed/timed a new LR cylinder, turning it into a convertible. :o

THEN, they sent it back to me, also including the original cylinder ( what do you call a 3-cylinder convertible ? ;) ) - all at NO CHARGE ! ! . :mrgreen:

Soooooo, I added a set of SI grip panels & called it good.

I assume they also did the transfer bar safety conversion at the same time unless it had already been done. If so , did they return the original parts ?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:38 pm
I assume they also did the transfer bar safety conversion at the same time unless it had already been done. If so , did they return the original parts ?

My RSSM didn't need the transfer bar updating, as it had already been done, sometime before I bought it.

gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Re: UPDATE: Ruger Single-Six, blue, fix sights...

Post by gcs »

I keep threatening myself to buy one for years, but that little Bearcat looks good too, any feedback on those?

OR, I could just keep using my old mans S&W 32 long hand eject. Accurate little bugger and doesn't weigh much. but a 22 is nice too. :?
and, I don't "need" another gun.... :mrgreen: Decisions, decisions
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

gcs wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:29 am
I keep threatening myself to buy one for years, but that little Bearcat looks good too, any feedback on those?

I've had several different Bearcats over the past 40-odd years (all Old Models) and while I found them very nice, and handy to boot, most of them wouldn't shoot to the POA, even though I tried myriad different brands/types of .22 LR & Short ammo - and so eventually moved them on down the road.

Until I stumbled on this 1969 Old Model - which (so far) has shot (POI) every different .22LR I put through it right where I aimed !

Boy, was I ever surprised ! :o

Since this one's a keeper for me, I treated it to a set of stag grips from Sack Peterson.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Read somewhere the latest model has adjustable rear sight.
Such a handy little gun!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pete, those are very handsome grips on the Bearcat. I had one a while back. I let my daughter and nephew shoot it with CB caps when they were 6 and 7 years old respectively, and talk about big grins!

8)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I had a Ruger Bearcat five years ago, had to send it back to Ruger twice because it would not stay in time, kept shaving bullets. When it got fixed the second time I sent it down the road...to bad, because I like the size and weight, so did my kiddos... But in the end I really like the size and weight of a Single-Six, they simply work for me... I should also mention that I have a Ruger LCR-22, it's 8-shots and a whole lot of fun to shoot also... :)
Ruger-LCR-22-01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Just a year ago I got my first Ruger Single Six, an old model 1971. It came with both cylinders and sure is tight and a good shooter. I just changed to my summer loads today, first to rounds are now shotshells.
I have had several .22 sixguns through the years including a Colt. None of the compares to the Single Six
with a 6 1/2 inch barrel.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:53 pm Read somewhere the latest model has adjustable rear sight.
Such a handy little gun!
IDK - The New Model Bearcat has a larger frame to accommodate the now-discontinued LR/WMR Bearcat convertible, and IMHO stainless steel construction is a big demerit.

What I wish I could afford is a steel frame Super Bearcat converted to .32H&R, ala Jeff & Boge Quinn's Alan Harton's conversion.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I bet that 32 conversion is a hoot & a half!
I took a 32 single six and converted it to 44 special. Great little vest pocket gun.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!