poor wolf on the road this am

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

poor wolf on the road this am

Post by hfcable »

heading to the office this am about 650am, saw flashing lights ahead [ about 1/4 mile from home, 4 lane road with center turn lane, right in town, just past coffee shop ..... as i passed by saw large [ 100 pound + size ] white canine dead on road, compact car next to it, driver behind wheel with head on hands - very upset .....thought wow , beautiful animal ....looks like a wolf .... well, it was ! large female ran in front of car, was killed.... amazing they can live right here amongst us without us knowing it. sad to see such a beautiful creature but stilll an8 easier death than most wild animals ever have.

i love alaska .
cable
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: poor wolf on the road this am

Post by gamekeeper »

I know a lot of people hate wolves but personally I'd love to live somewhere wild enough to support them.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Was the car that was stopped the car that hit the wolf? It's a shame the wolf had to die, but I wonder if the driver learned anything... My bet was they were going too fast to have slowed or stopped in time.
I tell people to slow down on my road all the time because of the high deer population. One person actually started to get into an argument about my telling them to slow down. I told them fine speed all you want but it's only a matter of time before they have an accident, and when they hit a deer going 50 on these back roads that I hope the deer comes through the windshield and covers them with blood & guts and that the driver gets to watch the life drain from its eyes. THAT got their attention and they slowed down, same person still drives my road but at a much lower speed.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You can drive fast and probably avoid having an accident for a long time, but the law of averages will catch up with you.
Wolves are a beautiful predator, but they can be an environmental disaster. The Yellowstone area is seeing that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

piller wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:42 am You can drive fast and probably avoid having an accident for a long time, but the law of averages will catch up with you.
Wolves are a beautiful predator, but they can be an environmental disaster. The Yellowstone area is seeing that.
The PNW is learning that lesson also. Now they are talking about reintroducing the grizzly bear here in Washington. Our elk herds ate in shambles and they almost made the mountain caribou extinct so let's bring in another large predator!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't know enough about wolves to comment on whether they are bad or good....but i really don't want them in my backyard. They have their place....in the wilds of Alaska or Canada.

Some years back we had a member here who shot a big black one and used it for his avatar. Beautiful animal it was, but like good looking women, beauty is only skin deep. :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i don't think the young lady that hit the wolf was speeding; it is a 45-50 mph zone and there is enough traffic to keep you from going much faster. it was icey in spots and that spot was definitely a bit icey. the wolf was heading south across the road. on the other side is some BLM land that connects to a larger parcel.....she was prob heading 'home' after hunting during the night. ....and like many of us, was running late. it was already getting fairly light. they said she was at least 12 years old or more, so she had lived a long time for a wolf.

up here, there are lots of wolves and lots of bears. in the immediate area here, wolves are seen and more often heard, not too uncommonly. the biggest predator on moose [ esp moose calves ] are the bears, both black bears and grizzlies. they kill an awful lot of moose right here in town; the wolves kill them too but bears are far, far more numerous round here.
cable
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I know that predators live by instinct and have to eat but it bothers me sometimes.
A guy told me yesterday he seen a Eagle fly over his car with a small dog in it`s claws, poor dogs feet were just a kicking .
A while back the DNR said they found 14 or 15 cat and dog callers in a eagles nest, just the way of the world I guess.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:17 am Was the car that was stopped the car that hit the wolf? It's a shame the wolf had to die, but I wonder if the driver learned anything... My bet was they were going too fast to have slowed or stopped in time.
I tell people to slow down on my road all the time because of the high deer population. One person actually started to get into an argument about my telling them to slow down. I told them fine speed all you want but it's only a matter of time before they have an accident, and when they hit a deer going 50 on these back roads that I hope the deer comes through the windshield and covers them with blood & guts and that the driver gets to watch the life drain from its eyes. THAT got their attention and they slowed down, same person still drives my road but at a much lower speed.
Maybe not - I have had animals dart out in front of my car just a couple of feet away - gives you no time to react.
My biggest fear is some small child doing that - with tragic results. :shock:
Merle from PA
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ranchers/Elk Hunters out west will not agree with how "nice" wolves are.....The Canada wolves they imported have flourished and wreaked the elk herds and slaughtered cattle and other stock....They are well into Washington of late, as well. SSS, IMO.... :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

So running over a wolf or deer is a tragedy, but how bout a rat or armadillo? anybody care about them? :?
It's a rough life, if they're dumb enough to get run over, oh well. :D
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I think running over a deer is a waste.....unless its harvested. and as for wolves....well we have a remote mining and hunting property and there are lots of wolves there [ a pack of 16 was seen there by one of the co-owners last fall on our place ] and we have wolf season and we sure do intend to thin those packs ! ditto for the bears there too.

this female was kind of a urban adapted wolf, old, probably post-menopausal and run off by the pack...probably for good reason. :D

but....she was a beautiful animal and clever enough to survive on her own and not get herself into a major conflict with people for a number of years here......lots of folks had seen her it turns out, scavenging and sneaking around.

kinda reminds me of one of us people when we get old and cranky....etc.
cable
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I realize there's a lot of compassion for wolves. But, remember we pretty much eradicated them for a reason. Of course, these days you pretty much have to be a rancher raising cows or sheep to understand.

If you want them in a national park where there is no hunting allowed, and they won't kill someone's lively hood, fine. But, like coyotes they become problematic when they begin to live off humans and their living.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Guess that's one old dog that wont be learning any new tricks!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/