Browning BLR lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bulldozer
Levergunner

Browning BLR lever

Post by Bulldozer »

The browning BLR lever is an obscure rifle (I am trying to say: only few people seems to own/buy/know it). Nevertheless, it seems to cumulate many advantages:
• Fast and smooth lever
• Strong breach bolt
• Magazine
• Possibility to fire any type of bullets (FSP, FMJ,...)
• Firepower up to 300 winch mag.
• Brakedown,
• Scope mounting
• ….

Do you have any clue regarding the fact so few people are interested in buying that rifle?

piller
Posting leader...

Re: Browning BLR lever

Post by piller »

Sorry, but I have no idea why? What is the cost?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I'll bite.
It's not a Winchester or a Marlin.
It's not made in America.
It has an impossible to remove high gloss finish on the stocks.
It is not user serviceable.
It's not a Winchester or Marlin.
The first generation magazines are $200+ and the current ones cost 35 bucks.

I like mine.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Tycer wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:08 am I'll bite.
Yeah that about covers it.
If you own a bolt-gun in 300 Win or 7mm Rem then you already have that niche covered, but I guess if you don't, getting a BLR would possibly fill it with a levergun. I can see a "one-gun" scenario where a levergun in 30-06 or some such round would be a do-it-all firearm.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Mine in 308 is one of my favorites. Carries like a 30-30 but with more power. In the late ninties I have a friend ,who shot a Marlin in 32 special , was going to buy a new bolt action in 30-06. I convinced him to buy a BLR. To this day he comments how great a gun it is. He is a advid deer hunting and hunts all over the country with it.

I had one in 300WSM and it was brutal to shoot. To light of a gun for a magnum. It went down the road.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I guess that one issue is that I have never seen one in a gun store near me.
D. Brian Casady
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Tycer wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:08 am
I'll bite.

I like mine.

AND, the pistol-grip models are downright fugly........ :roll:

They DO, however, shoot like a house afire !

I liked the early/gen1 .358, I had, with the straight grip.

The similar/new Henry Long Ranger address' the cost issue:

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:51 am I guess that one issue is that I have never seen one in a gun store near me.
That too......certainly I remember in times gone by when I had money in my pocket and went to a gun show, had one been available there to coon-finger, I'd have probably bought one - I've spent more money for less gun (many times, unfortunately... :oops: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

BenT wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:37 am Mine in 308 is one of my favorites. Carries like a 30-30 but with more power. In the late ninties I have a friend ,who shot a Marlin in 32 special , was going to buy a new bolt action in 30-06. I convinced him to buy a BLR. To this day he comments how great a gun it is. He is a advid deer hunting and hunts all over the country with it.

I had one in 300WSM and it was brutal to shoot. To light of a gun for a magnum. It went down the road.
Well stated! If you like to hunt with a Win 94, then you will love the extra power and range with out sacrificing weight and length. At home in the brush and long range.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We see them here. I have one in .243. It is very accurate. Not traditional in appearance and crosses over into bolt territory.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Cost, the factories are pumping out all kinds of budget bolt actions. Fads, now a lot of people are caught up in AR s or tactical stuff.Tried to get a younger man to buy one a couple years ago but he found a deal on a Weatherby Vanguard and Redfield scope. He walked away with his go to rifle for about 300 dollars less then what the browning would have cost him, part of that was being in the right spot at the right time which saved him about 100 dollars and the other part being the higher cost of even used Brownings .That said I'd love to have another one maybe a short magnum or if they would chamber one in 257 roberts. A blued matte finish would be great!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I'll chime in too, also using Tycer's list as a guide...

* It's not a Winchester or a Marlin.
True, but it carries well and generally hits harder.

* It's not made in America.
Yup, but we could say that about a lot of guns these days...

* It has an impossible to remove high gloss finish on the stocks.
Oh boyee! I tried to do that once....... Spent HOURS on it -- and ended up spending about $150 to get new wood and putting it back "just like it was"... Wow, what an expensive mistake that was... That finish is TOUGH!

* It is not user serviceable.
I'll disagree a little on that one -- but I had directions to follow, and no, it's not as easy as a Win 92 or Marlin 336. I took it all down and jeweled the bolt -- which came out awesome and looked sharp -- but the key (per that picture up above) is to get the gears lined back up on the exact teeth to reset the headspace of the bolt correctly. Easy, no. Doable, yes. For the faint of heart, not on your life!

* It's not a Winchester or Marlin.
Agreed -- and you said that already. :wink:

* The first generation magazines are $200+ and the current ones cost 35 bucks.
Luckily I never found that out, but I sold my .308 -- which accounted for several bucks when I first moved to Maine -- and since then, I've gravitated to the Savage 99s for "more power" in lever actions.

Tight groups.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Number one reason they are not for me is they just look funny. I was raised with leverguns that have mag tubes. Heck, the lack of a mag tube is one reason I only looked at a Ruger levergun once.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I have had my BLR in .358 For Over 30 YEARS

I can only fault it for the thin barrel , it takes all day to shoot a hundred rounds.

It's also the only rifle I have ever set the woods on fire with!

--------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

At a LGS in Waxahachie, I saw one today in .243 for $469. I was ordering a Henry in .327 Federal Magnum at the time. The BLR looks nice for a used gun. I don't want a .243, so it was still there when I left. If it would have been .308, it would have followed me home.
D. Brian Casady
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Here's mine
HOG HUNTER BLR.JPG
7pt Nov 2016 deer.JPG
This is an older steel frame, Japan gun, and I bought it new about 27yrs ago. A pickup truck bed wouldn't haul all of the deer and coyotes I have killed with it.
I admit I don't much like the newer versions, and I really think that the model I have was the best of the generations. Even mine as it comes out of the box, needs a few mods.
Browning made the stock too long by at least 1/2 inch IMHO, and I had mine shortened, and the trigger was not that great, but mine come out pretty good with the help of a good gunsmith. It will shoot 3 to 4 inch groups at 200yrs all day long with factory 180gr Winchester Silvertips.

The particular model I have must be liked pretty good by the people that own them, because I have looked for them at big gunshows like even the Tulsa Gunshow and some years there is hardly one to be found in the whole show.

I don't worry about breaking it down and cleaning it. And I just use a bore snake on mine, and spray it down with a little oil, and mine has been shot a lot. I own a lot of leveractions and while it's no where near the most expensive one I own, it's the last one I would every sell, because it does the best job of any of them when it comes to getting something killed, no matter the conditions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Life Member, Patron
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I bought a 308 in 1977 and killed most of the deer I got and all of the elk I shot. It is a tack driver.... literally.
The first time I ever shot it from a real shooting bench, I shot a 3 shot dime sized group at 126 yards. Then I shot the thumb tack that was holding the target up with the 4th shot.

Yes that finish is hard, but I found a way to get it off. Carry it cradled in your left arm while hunting and wearing a Pendleton wool coat. Repeat for 30+ years.
This is the result:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/downl ... w&id=14564
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Almost 20 years ago I bought a steel receiver 358 with red dot, stocks stripped and hand rubbed with a pad added that shot boringly small groups off hand. Convinced myself that something else would be better. Oh the money that would have been saved if I'd just kept it.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

A guy shooting next to me at the range had one in .223. 100 yd groups were incredible. Never seen any lever before, or since, and most any rifle, shoot that well. The guy was also shooting a Blackhawk in 30 carbine at the same distance. Never saw that excellent performance repeated either.
I always thought about getting one in .222, or .223, but have never owned one.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

I am a big fan of the BLR, I have new & old models in 22-250, .358, 30-06 & 300 win mag. They get the job done, I stopped the Fallow pictured with the 30-06 & my son used the same rifle on his Buffalo.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

If you hang around here very much you will have heard me tell how I am giving each of my Grandkids a BLR. Someone needs to grab that 243 mentioned above because that is a steal. About half price.

I like the Belgian made ones best because they have oil finished stocks instead of that high gloss. I was attracted by the short overall length and the ability to reach out to 300 yards and easy to scope. A few of my hunting buddies have bought them too and I know of no one who wants too go to something different.

Expect to pay $700 to $800 and maybe a hundred more for a Belgian. If you can, check the chamber with a bore scope to be sure it is smooth. of the 14 or so I've bought there are 4 which have had rough chambers. 3 Belgian and 1 early Japanese. I came up with a hone to smooth them up and all work fine now but be aware of the problem and remember: DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THOSE GEARS! It is possible to re-time those gears but believe me; You don't want to! I used a couple of sections of cleaning rod and a 50 cal bronze brush with emery cloth taped to it powered by my air drill. Be patient, clean often and you can make it work.

I find the old shad bellied models to be a little awkward to carry but you're probably going to mount a handle, (scope) to the top of it anyway and hang it from your shoulder by a sling.

They are almost unbelievably accurate and I consider my old 308 to be an All Around Rifle. One in 358 might be better for Moose and big bears but most people will be well served by the 308 or around here, (northeast Oklahoma) a 243 is fine.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We have a bunch of hogs here in Texas, and the 80 grain .243 might not do well on them. The 95 grain GMX bullets do pretty good on getting through the gristle plate. For Texas sized deer, a .22lr is almost too much. Texas has the smallest deer you will ever see. When I lived in North Central Kansas, a friend used a .243 on deer. He took head shots most of the time. The only time I saw him shoot at the body, 100 grain Core-Lokt, we trailed the deer 3 miles. Coyotes got it. That one experience made me sort of cautious about using a .243 on anything big.
D. Brian Casady
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Not made in the USA.
Neither is Winchester.
Marlin is made in the USA, but who wants to buy one these days.

They are not an easy gun to take apart.
True, but they don't need to be taken apart all that often. Take it to a gun smith for an annual service.

They are butt ugly with the pistol grip, but with the straight grip they are a slick looking rifle and carry well.

My 222 would shoot sub moa, 5 shot groups, day in, day out.
It wasn't an original, as it had been fitted with a Remington barrel. It was also an earlier model with the steel receiver.
I wish I hadn't sold it.

There are those who will tell you that they have the worst trigger pull of any gun on the planet.
That may be true, but a competent smith can do wonderful things to that trigger.

I'm thinking about the new Henry long ranger as a replacement for the old BLR, but they aren't in the land down under yet.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Bulldozer
Levergunner

Post by Bulldozer »

Very interesting.
Thank you all for your answers.

If one day I see one at my shooting club I will no doubt ask for a try!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Old No7 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:18 pm I'll chime in too, also using Tycer's list as a guide...

* It's not a Winchester or a Marlin.
True, but it carries well and generally hits harder.

* It's not made in America.
Yup, but we could say that about a lot of guns these days...

* It has an impossible to remove high gloss finish on the stocks.
Oh boyee! I tried to do that once....... Spent HOURS on it -- and ended up spending about $150 to get new wood and putting it back "just like it was"... Wow, what an expensive mistake that was... That finish is TOUGH!

* It is not user serviceable.
I'll disagree a little on that one -- but I had directions to follow, and no, it's not as easy as a Win 92 or Marlin 336. I took it all down and jeweled the bolt -- which came out awesome and looked sharp -- but the key (per that picture up above) is to get the gears lined back up on the exact teeth to reset the headspace of the bolt correctly. Easy, no. Doable, yes. For the faint of heart, not on your life!

* It's not a Winchester or Marlin.
Agreed -- and you said that already. :wink:

* The first generation magazines are $200+ and the current ones cost 35 bucks.
Luckily I never found that out, but I sold my .308 -- which accounted for several bucks when I first moved to Maine -- and since then, I've gravitated to the Savage 99s for "more power" in lever actions.

Tight groups.

Old No7
I Have a Savage 99A in .308. Nice carbine. But the BLR will outshoot it every time.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Another of my dream guns I'll never get around to having, a early model in .358, my dad had one back in the 70's and I got to use it a bit, but dad is a compulsive gun trader and got rid of it, many more came through the house but I don't remember any more in .358. he sure dropped his share of deer with that rifle while he had it.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

piller wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:46 pm
At a LGS in Waxahachie, I saw one today in .243 for $469.

I don't want a .243, so it was still there when I left.

For the edification of your fellow levergunners :mrgreen: , could you let us know if it's at Dallas Pawn, Faith Armory, or Precision Weapons (or somewhere else) ?

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It is at Faith Armory. I was wrong about the price. It is $599 for that .243.
D. Brian Casady
Comerade
Levergunner

Post by Comerade »

New to this forum but not to the BLR, mine is a takedown and have a scout scope on it (Burris 2-7) I really like it ,the box magazine offers so many advantages for the
270 win.It is my main elk/sheep rifle and carries well horseback or afoot and in a storm I can take it down and put it in a dry pack. I like most leverguns but this one suits me for this purpose
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I think for the most part people don't buy these rifles as they perceive them as being ugly, but the actions are so strong and the stock arrangement is also very strong. Most people don't seem to know that aside from the great build quality, that the newer aluminum framed rifles lock up into the barrel itself, so it's super strong, and they could go with an aluminum receiver. The Belgium models did not do this as far as I know.

The other reason the accuracy is so great, aside from tight tolerances and excellent craftsmanship, is its one of the very few leverguns sold with a "through bolt" on the butt-stock (does the Henry do this?). This means there is a transverse bolt going through the tangs of the receiver, and then a horizontal bolt goes into the butt-stock. This makes for a very rigid stock despite it being a two piece design. Between the tight tolerances, rigid receiver lock-up and "through bolt" design, you end up with a very, very, accurate rifle.

My 358 Win was a Shot Show Special and I had it tweeked by McPherson. Its a superb carry rifle and super accurate. I would encourage anyone to purchase one of these rifles. They are great all around rifles, but especially easy to carry and accurate for hunting. Here is a current offering with the Schnabel forearm. Looks pretty good to me.

-Tutt
cq5dam.web.250.250.jpeg
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I've currently own 2 , chambered in 284 win and 450 Marlin, and also had 1 in 308,, sold the 308 when I bought the 284, they have all shot great,
I'll buy another as soon as I run across the right deal on a 243 👍
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Bought my 308 new in 1987 with three extra mags at Smitty's Groceries when they had a guns dept. I put a 4x Leupold on it and made a fast down-slope shot on a healthy buck exiting a water hole just a couple months after getting it. Have used it quite often over the years with 100% reliability & dependable accuracy.

I probably hang on to it for another few years.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Tycer wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:08 am I'll bite.

I like mine.
You forgot it is ugly!
Marlin375
Levergunner

Post by Marlin375 »

Love and Hate for me.

I have had a few, currently my go-to winter predator gun is a stainless/laminate 22-250 BLR.
I'm courting a .358win my buddy picked up on a trade at a recent gunshow, love the caliber and the pointy 225g SGKs in the box mag.

Hate the triggers that most of them have, as a rule if it does'nt break at 4lbs or less i take $200 off the price im willing to pay for one .....so a smith can do his thing.

Regards
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

The BLR 81 , in stainless steel, take down and .308 is high on my list. Accurate, small package, good power, pointy bullets extend bullet performance, and can easily mount a scope. Comes with a laminate stock, not shiny plastic paint. I think for most medium size game, it would be a great utility rifle.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot