1886 at gun show this weekend

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

1886 at gun show this weekend

Post by Thunder50 »

Almost bought one in 38-56, but boy, talk about a sewer pipe for a bore, it was hard to see any rifling. Had a pretty heavy round barrel on it. then I noticed the buttstock had been repaired with about a 3" spacer. Buttstock must have been damaged so someone cut off the broken part and took the back end of a stock that had probably been damaged on the front, and made one complete stock.
Price was $850
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 1886 at gun show this weekend

Post by geobru »

If you had the cash, that might have been a decent price. If the barrel was 26" and a full length mag tube, all the internals were functional and the sights were correct, $200 would buy an original stock, and the a reline for the barrel would be ~$400-500. (Not real sure on this price.) For ~$1,500 you would have a great shooter. That works if you want a project gun!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1886 at gun show this weekend

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sounds like a deal to me. But then I like the idea of saving an old beater to make it a shooter and Redmans liners have always been good shooters for me. Maybe a Bobby Hoyt liner in 45-70? He doesn't charge very much. Hoyt did a Springfield Trapdoor for me that is a real shooter.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS