Winchester 86 50-110

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 86 50-110

Post by Hombre »

Hi guys.... I need your help.... In your opinion what should be a realistic price for those two Winchester 86 in the U.S.A?
Both have fabric letters.... The first one mfg 1894 and the other one 1902....
Any opinion at all should be very much appreciated....

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
ImageImage
ImageImage
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 86 50-110

Post by hfcable »

those are both big money items.....at the right auction. the second one with the case colors will really go high [ if everything is original , as it appears to me ]

various auction such as James Julia , Poulin, Amoskeag, Rock Island Auction would handle an item like that, and based on photographs would likely give you a preliminary estimate .

wonderful rifles, but out of my league $ wise. have wanted one of those for about 40 years at least !!!
cable
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

Thanks for taking the time to answer! I really appreciate it!

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

are you going to travel over and bring them for auction? the 1894 by American law is an antique and sending it / bringing it into the country should be fairly simple.
cable
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

I do not know yet if I shall sell or trade or just keep them ...I just got information about an American guy who export guns to the U.S.A. from Sweden and he was willing to help me....
I have no ideà what these kind of rifles should go for in the U.S.A....What I know is that it is usually a big difference when it comes to the prices between the U.S.A and Sweden that is why I wanted to hear the opinions from you guys....

I think that old Winchester and Marlin lever guns are very interesting but for one time in my life I should love to be the caretaker of an old original flintlock Kentucky rifle.... That is an old dream but those kind of rifles if the show up here are usually not so very original....Well, the Dream lives on.... :D

/Stefan
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

one of your rifles should provide enough $ to purchase an original flintlock.....there is a very good web site with folks who know that sort of thing really welland someone there might even have one for sale. they really know these items well.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=3.0

I know a number of those folks personally and can vouch for their integrity.
cable
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Stefan, You have two exceptional pieces there. I my opinion, which consists of over 50 years dealing and trading in vintage Winchesters, either one of your 86's is a $10K+ gun. Its a strange thing, but it seems that more of the 50 Express models ended up overseas than here is the U.S. Many were shipped to the Indo-China area. Unusual that two would surface in Scandanavia. Any background history on them?
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

65bee, thanks for your kind words. For me, coming from Sweden it is amazing what value you put on my Winchester rifles. Anyway, I know that the prices on old leverguns differs when you compare Sweden and the U.S.A.
Those Winchester rifles come from different kind of estates here in Sweden and belonged to the guys who take care of the hunting on those estates.
The most common caliber seems to be 45-90 but if you are lucky you can also find
50-110. 45-70 you will seldom see and that I think is strange. Also full lenght magazine and octagonal barrels is not common.

hfcable, thanks for the links. I really appreciate it!

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Stefan,
65 Bee hit it really good...........I personally value the case colored 86 at 15k retail and the blued version at 12.....assuming bore condition is excellent as well as mechanics. Nice stuff you have there and very, very desirable. ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Stefan, Just checked on Guns International, and Leroy Merz has a rifle identical to yours for sale at $16,750. According to his listing, only 2,455 rifles were made in the 50 Express caliber. As a point of interest, what are these rifles bringing in your home-land?
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

Sixgun and 65bee, Thanks for your nice words.... I really appreciate it....
65bee wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:44 pm As a point of interest, what are these rifles bringing in your home-land?
Well, it seems to go for only a fraction of the prices in the U.S.A....

Again, I really appreciate all the help I always get in this forum. Thank you very much!

Best,
Stefan
Sweden