Thought About An Old Friend Today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Thought About An Old Friend Today

Post by don Tomás »

I'm still recovering from back surgery and was told no lifting anything heavier than 20lbs for 3 months. To ward off cabin fever, I broke out the Lee Loader, blew off the dust, and reloaded some .45-70 for the original Trapdoor carbine. Very therapeutic beating on the Lee Loader with a block of wood! Anyway, I always put a hog lard soaked felt wad over the powder. Anybody remember Junior Doughty from this group? Junior would make these up special saying the lard was made from hogs he personally rendered down. When I was gathering together reloading stuff, I found my last batch of wads still in the envelope that Junior mailed out in 2006. Made me think of my friend. Junior was an interesting guy. If you looked up "curmudgeon" in the dictionary, you would find Junior's picture there. He loved the blues, and even had his own website - The Frugal Outdoorsman which his daughter still has, but I don't know how current it is. The links on the site still work and there is a wealth of information and common sense to be found there. Anyway, I thought about an old friend today...

[/url]
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Thought About An Old Friend Today

Post by gamekeeper »

I remember Junior, I'm glad his website is still there, thanks to his daughter for that.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Bought a couple saddle ring slings from him. A man of good character. Life needs more characters.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:07 am I remember Junior, I'm glad his website is still there, thanks to his daughter for that.
Same Here...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Junior was good people, a character, for sure.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I believe he was the person who recommended this Site to me. He was funny and resourceful.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I remember him well....very funny and a very good way of putting things ! he is missed.
cable
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I found his page quite by accident while looking up BP recipes & goods and was pleased to find him here. Unfortunately what I remember is the way he was hounded here until he finally got fed up & left this place be cause he said he was a Liberal. :oops:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Junior was a dang good man. Knew his stuff. He sent me some of his homemade felt wads to try.
Sadly, he didn't appreciate a spirited political discussion. I'm afraid we ran him off. :oops: Our loss.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:32 pm Junior was a dang good man. Knew his stuff. He sent me some of his homemade felt wads to try.
Sadly, he didn't appreciate a spirited political discussion. I'm afraid we ran him off. :oops: Our loss.
+1

We didn't see eye to eye, by any stretch, but he was a fine man nonetheless.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I had the greatest respect for Jr. He was a unique guy and thought out of the box on my subjects. There were several people on this board who worked him over every time they could, about his political views. Those folks are mostly gone now. They took delight in hounding people off this board. This isn't a pleasant topic, but it is true none-the-less.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Hi Charles! Haven't seen you on here in quite a while, good to see you're still here! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

claybob86 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:54 pm Hi Charles! Haven't seen you on here in quite a while, good to see you're still here! :)
I was thinking the same thing.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I too remember him and especially liked his web-site, just visited again... :)