Phone scam? question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Phone scam? question

Post by Bullard4075 »

The wife keeps getting calls from number +91 80 3350 3000
We don't answer.
I can find no reference to it on the internet.
I suspect a scam.
I can also find no reference to what the + sign has to do with the number.
91 is area (code?) for India.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Phone scam? question

Post by Trailboss »

Bullard4075 wrote:The wife keeps getting calls from number +91 80 3350 3000
We don't answer.
I can find no reference to it on the internet.
I suspect a scam.
I can also find no reference to what the + sign has to do with the number.
91 is area (code?) for India.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Definitely a scam. Yes, 91 is the country code for India.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Don't answer it, or any calls that show as toll free area code- nothing but telemarketers!
If you do happen to answer one of these calls, never say the word YES to any of their questions. Lots of times these calls are recorded and that gives them the ability to insert your YES into any part of their sales pitch.

I pick up the phone and hang it back up instantly. Just so I don't have to hear it ringing.

Have you put your phone number(s) on the government DO NOT CALL list?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

The "do not call" list is a joke, nobody enforces it so telemarketers ignore it.
My phones have been on the list since it was created, I still block 3 calls per week.

If I get a call with a number I don't know, and they don't leave a voicemail, on the block list it goes.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Since most of the telemarketing calls are robo calls (automatically computer dialed), I simply allow any phone number IDK (I have caller ID enabled, AND the ID shows on my TV screen also) go to my answering machine - their auto-dialer usually ends the call when it electronically senses the AM.

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

NOMOROBO.COM :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

jdad wrote:NOMOROBO.COM :wink:
GREAT idea unless you receive important appointment confirmations by automated message.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

That may very well be a call from India. Or not. But if you don't recognize it, you don't have to answer.

I work with a Cisco phone system with over a hundred locations. I can make a caller ID on an outgoing call be any number I want.
One time I had to call my parents from work. I knew they would not recognize my desk number, so with a couple key clicks, changed my desk phone to my home phone number.

VOIP calls (voice over the internet) is so fantastically cheap, the scammers can be anywhere, and India has a lot of them. Think they care about the do-not-call list? Pfft.

Phone/voice providers can stop the caller ID spoofing. They have the computing horsepower to provide and auto-attendant front end for your phone number.

They won't because it's not in their interest and won't unless the gov't forces them.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have a simple policy here at Sixgun Land.....if the caller ID comes up with ANYTHING other than a persons name that I KNOW, it's "click...click" which means I hit "answer" and immediately hit "end".

I don't even want to give them the satisfaction of using my answering machine.....click...click...

In Teamsters/union guy terms.....phuck em.

If it's important , that caller will call back....and I MIGHT give them a second chance.

This is MY home....I do not bother THEM at THEIR home.

Simplicity at its best :D ---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

JohndeFresno wrote:
jdad wrote:NOMOROBO.COM :wink:
GREAT idea unless you receive important appointment confirmations by automated message.

Shouldn't be that tough if you post appointments when made on a calendar. Most professional practices are set up to text to your cell also.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have never enabled my voice mail. If it is important, they e-mail or text me. I have learned to hate voice mail from trying to decipher nurse speak. TheyleaveaspeedmessagegivingamumblednamaandtheDoctor'snameandthepatientnameanddateofbirthandthemedicineandquantitywithdirections. All that in 7 seconds or less. Usually less. That is my reason for hating voice mail. Again, if it is important, I will get an e-mail or a text.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost