Recurves again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Recurves again

Post by hondo1892 »

Guy's I told you all about the Bear recurve I just got from my dad. I decided not to shoot it since it is old and the fiberglass looks questionable. So I went to our local archery store and seen they had a Bear Grizzly for sale. I did some research and everyone seems to love there Grizzlies. The only cons that people seem to have are the strings and the price is a bit high. The guy that owns the store seen me looking at the Grizzly came over and started talking to me about the bow. It has been setting there for quit some time it had dust on the limbs. I thought it was a #50 the first time I looked at it but it's actually a #55 draw. The owner said I could have it for three Franklin's out the door which is a great price for the bow. However the owner also said that the draw is heavy for a recurve and not the best weight for starting out or old guys. My question is does anyone here shoot a #55 recurve and how hard are they on the shoulders. I don't have a problem with drawing #45 recurve and ten pounds doesn't sound like much but I've never handled any bows over the #45 draw weight. The store owner seemed to be honest about the bow. He said he would love to sell it to me but didn't want to if I couldn't handle the draw weight. All the Grizzlies I see on line are $379 or more and would like to get one. If I knew I could draw the #55 I would grab it up but I can't afford to make a $300 mistake. I wish I knew someone around me that had a #55 recurve to try. If any of you can give me an idea how much difference there is between the #45 and #55 it would be greatly appreciated.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Recurves again

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm surprised he didn't let you try it out! Years ago I shot heavy poundage compounds, up to 80#, gave that up a LONG TIME AGO! For 90% of the game we hunt 50 is plenty. Heck Ted Nugent shoots 45# compounds.
As for recurves I shot them for a few years, long bows too. Most I ever shot was 50# longbow.
You use different muscles with both, takes time and good form to build those muscles up. Not knowing your physical strength it's hard to say if you can or can't shoot that bow.
I suggest you go back and see if you can get it to anchor, shoot it.
Recurve shooting is a skill, lots of practice, LOTS to be proficient enough to hunt/kill. When I was shooting one I would shoot at least 50 arrows a day.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
minish
Levergunner

Post by minish »

I strongly advise to pass on it. 45-55 doesn't seem like much but is a huge difference. I shot 70-75 pound longbows when I was young and dumb and my shoulders paid for it. I now have to shoot 40-45 pounders but it is plenty for hunting and much more enjoyable. You will develop bad shooting habits if you are over bowed even a little. Check out "Kustom King Archery" and "Lancaster Archery". They have some very good deals.
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

I have a 50# @28" Howett Hunter 66" recurve, but at my draw length 32" more likely 55#! When I have not been shooting it for a while,like now, I use another recurve I have, draw weight 30# @ 28", so likely 35# at my draw length, to build into the Howett. Length of recurve also adds to issues, shorter ones more pinch factor, my Hunter is 66", I think, as is the other. If I started with the Howett after a layoff, instant shoulder issues, even only starting with a few arrows. As I am 68 y.o. maybe the Howett is beyond me unless I go into a long period of build up with the 30# bow. Best to go easy. They have training rig devices to simulate bow pulls. One example http://www.cabelas.com/product/BOWFIT-U ... lsrc=aw.ds
Skychief
Levergunner

Post by Skychief »

If you draw close to 28", pass on it unless you're a hulk.

I shoot a lot of traditional archery as do a lot of my friends, leagues and outdoor 3d. Not to mention all the hunting we do.

50# is about as heavy as you'll find any of us shooting. Ten pounds in traditional archery is a huge huge difference.

The last 4 Whitetails I've taken have been with 40-42# bows. Whistled right through.

Good luck, but, don't get "overbowed" to begin with. Easiest and most common mistake to make.

Best regards, Skychief
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks guys I'm going to pass on it. I don't think it would be a good choice. The owner told me it probably wouldn't be a good idea if I wasn't shooting already and in shape. I'll wait and get one in #45 that I know I can handle.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I remember shooting back in the late 1960's-early 1970's, with a Grizzly. It was 30# IIRC. Loved it and would buy one now, but I don't think Bear makes them any smaller than 45#. 30# is easy on the body.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Anyone in reasonable shape can shoot a 50-55# bow. I am 62 and have arthritis and shoot a 55# longbow.

Now, I just acquired a 80# bow and it is a bit of a challenge. Superbly accurate so far but will take a little getting used to.

Not bragging, just can't shy away from a challenge.

Don
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I started shooting recurves when I was 14. I started with a 40# Indian Archery bow, then a 50#Howatt Cavalier, then a 55# Howatt Hunter. There was a difference between the performance of each of the bows. I shot at least 150 arrows each night and hunted jack rabbits on the weekend. I really liked the 55# weight because it was so much faster and flat shooting than the 50#. I was in great shape and could hold the bow at full draw for over a minute without shaking.

Fast forward in time. At 62 I thought it would be a great way to tone up if I started shooting the old bow again. I hadn't shot that bow for decades. I had no trouble pulling the bow back, but certainly couldn't hold it back very long. The problem I ran into was the joints in my fingers were arthritic and after shooting a few sessions, my joints clicked when I wiggled my fingers, so I stopped shooting.

You don't have to be a hulk to shoot a 55# bow, but you do have to get in shape by shooting it. When I was 18, I was 5' 10" and weighed 130 pounds soak and wet. I never lifted weights in high school until some guys were playing around in the weight room and one of them wanted to show us what he could do. He benched 225 pounds. The other guys, who weighed in at 160 to 175 pounds got under the bar and managed to press it one or two times. He looked at me and kiddingly said George why don' you try it? I shrugged my shoulders and said ok, not knowing if I could lift it or not. I pressed 225 pounds 5 times to the amazement of all present, including me! The guy who started it all stood there with his mouth open and asked, where is it coming from?? In college, I lifted weights for a year in an effort to gain some weight. After a year lifting weights, I weight 135 pounds and could bench press 275, which turned heads due to my size, but I could only press 310 with my bird legs, which was not a lot of weight. I attribute my upper body strength to pulling those recurve bows back thousands of times.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The best recurve I've ever owned/shot was a (then) new 50# Ben Pearson takedown - smooth & accurate.

Image Image

I had to give up bowhunting about 16 years ago, after surgery removed the nerve that controlled the rear shoulder muscle of my drawing arm, or I'd still own it.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Shooting my 50 pound semi recurve long bow if that`s the correct way to say that.
My shoulder was in bad shape when this was shot, best therapy there was for it.
Now my shoulder is a wreck again plus tennis elbow so I better get out and shoot it some more, if I can pull her I`ll make a vid tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmohFCWAfzc
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I have shot bows since childhood. My current one is a 55lb. That said, you could probably handle it, IF you worked up to it. There are elastic cord type arm/shoulder exercisers meant to increase this strength. Once there it must be maintained or you risk serious injury.

It only takes a few shots a day to get and stay current with it.

Now having said all that, if you are comfortable with 45lb and used to that weight for hunting, that is what I would stick with. In the long run your shoulder will be happier.

This last year, I have noticed it takes a bit more for me to get comfortable with mine. I think you made a wise choice. Better to miss a good deal, than to spend money on what might become a wall decoration because you screwed your shoulder up.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
When we return north up there I start with a 45 # Bear for about a week. Then move to the 50# for a week. Then into a 52# short bow I use in tree stands. I hunt river bottoms and that 52# generally punches the carbon arrows I use clean through the chests. But most my shots are under 12 yards and some half that distance.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My main bows are a 40# custom bow and a short Browning 45#. When my shoulder will let me shoot I use the 40#bow because it is a real easy shooter. I have an osage long bow I made but have not hunted with it. It is around 30# and I enjoy it more than any of the rest. At 78 I just can't keep my shoulder in shape long enough to hunt any more. Shoot a lighter bow and hunt closer.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

You don't have to pull a bow's full weight.
Accuracy might even improve by shortening your draw.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Methinks that it might be interesting, if someone installed a (slightly) longer bowstring on whatever recurve bow, to reduce the pull weight, yet still retain a full draw & the use of a facial anchor point.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

If I had a $ bill for every arrow I shot out of a longbow or recurve I would have retired long ago. it's all about the arrow, how it fly's and where it lands. anything much beyond 50lb isn't needed for the average archer. the bow We can shoot easily in the summer months is a whole different animal when it's cold in the winter. it's all about fun and watching the arrow hit the "spot". few things get Me excited as a longbow that feels like a magic wand, and some beautiful cedar arrows.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

My main bow is a 60lb Martin Hatfield Takedown recurve. When I was was younger, I used it a lot, hunted with it, and also shot 3D competition, some. But it really too heavy for me, anymore. I wish could get some 45 or 50lb limbs for it. I hunted with compounds and crossbows, but the longest shot I ever made on a deer kill was with the recurve from the ground.

When I could shoot it, I always thought that 60lbs was a great weight, because I could shoot it better then lighter bows, for some reason. I also didn't pull but about 26 inches or so. I always shot with a canted bow and a crooked bow arm.
NRA Life Member, Patron
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

nothing wrong with bear recurves! i still have my 45X Bear Kodiak hunter i bought in '79 or '80.

any big game in north america may be taken with 50# (with the exception of Kodiak/brown and polar bears) recurve/longbow.

the heaviest recurve i ever owned/shot was 56#. i had to reduce poundage to 40# due to injuries incurred over the years.

make sure string is the right string for the bow. Dacron will make it noisy if bracing height is incorrect and fast flight may not be suitable for it.

a properly 'tuned' recurve is a pleasure.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i have to say that i spent many, many years in archery and bow hunting, mostly recurves and longbows.

this is probably the best thread of advice on recurves i've seen even on archery bowhunting forums.

:D :D :D
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Anyone want to talk about aiming using a recurve or longbow with out sights of any kind.
I in no way claim to be an expert in any which way just expressing my opinion about what I`ve learned.
First I`d like to talk about what some call instinctive shooting, imo the only thing about it I believe is that where your holding and where the tip of the arrow is when at full draw is what your eye sees and what your brain remembers and duplicates every shot after shooting the same way for a long period.
In my case when I draw the bow back what I see is the tip of the arrow is several inches right and several inches low of the bulls eye.
At first I would concentrate on that in order to hit the target but after time that became automatic and my brain picks that up and bingo bulls eye.
Any agreement ?
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

I shoot right handed and am left eye dominate, so shoot instinctive only.
Usually near the target even after a layoff, but no way will my grouping be the same as a person using sites.
Minute of deer, maximum distance, 25 yds., but prefer 15 yds. or less.
After getting in shooting shape, maximum distance still 25 yds, still prefer 15 yds. or less, but most arrows within 6", versus on the target somewhere at the beggining of starting up again.
Have tried aerial with flu flu arrows and have occasionally hit a moving target in the air.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

TWHBC wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:18 pm I shoot right handed and am left eye dominate, so shoot instinctive only.
Usually near the target even after a layoff, but no way will my grouping be the same as a person using sites.
Minute of deer, maximum distance, 25 yds., but prefer 15 yds. or less.
After getting in shooting shape, maximum distance still 25 yds, still prefer 15 yds. or less, but most arrows within 6", versus on the target somewhere at the beggining of starting up again.
Have tried aerial with flu flu arrows and have occasionally hit a moving target in the air.
Do you shoot with both eye`s open, if so then instinctive is what, do you align something with the bulls eye or is it as I said your brain remembering the same hold from repetition ?
IMO it`s your brain remembering the hold , same as shooting at a moving target in the air.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

+1 What TWHBC said. I was in the same boat. Right handed shooter, left eye dominant.
Pitchy, it sounds like you might be left eye dominant because of the way you described your sight picture, because that's what it looks like to me too.

As far as instinctive shooting goes, the way it worked for me was I'd pull the bow back to the anchor point at the corner of my mouth and released the arrow as soon as my right hand touched my mouth. There was no attempt to pause to aim, just point and shoot. I usually did this on running game. When shooting at a stationary target, I'd aim by adjusting the gap between the arrow tip and the target.
YMMV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

When shooting at a stationary target, I'd aim by adjusting the gap between the arrow tip and the target.
That`s what I was talking about and after a lot of shooting it becomes automatic and I think is what people call instinctive shooting. :)
I haven`t got around to trying to shoot the bow and make a vid but plan on it, I`d like to get a vid from directly behind the arrow then slow motion.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

I agree with both of you.
Shoot with both eyes open, pull, touch the corner of my mouth as anchor point, release, maintain form after release!
Same as with a shotgun and a fork. Similar to throwing a ball, or casting a fishing lure, instinctive.
Some days are better than others, look at my place mat after a meal !!
My wife washes my place mat, much more often than hers!!

The biggest thing that seems to affect my archery consistency is the cant of the bow at release. Straight up or canted to far to the right, and the hit point changes and the group opens up! Practice settles form, and helps muscle memory.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Interesting all the different "points" individuals have as their personal lock points. Mine is my right thumb 2nd knuckle on the right cheek bone. Puts the string and arrow directly in front of my right eye.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

The lighter poundage bow will be easier to shoot for extended times, and that's what you'll need to get good at it. Years ago I had a 45 lb Colt recurve and it was enough poundage to hunt with, but still light enough to hold good form with extended practice. Then the speed craze hit me and I started out with an 86 lb compound. The slowly dropped to 80 lb, then 70 lb, and finally a 60 lb bow before I gave it up do to shoulder problems.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

My son who is an iron worker, builds bows. If you do facebook, look up chickenfoot archery.

Joe
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Haven`t been able to shoot the bow and make that vid as I have tennis elbow bad plus a bad shoulder but it`s still gonna happen.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

missionary5155 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:29 am Interesting all the different "points" individuals have as their personal lock points. Mine is my right thumb 2nd knuckle on the right cheek bone. Puts the string and arrow directly in front of my right eye.
Regarding different knocking points, mine is a little loose because I wear glasses. Tightly touching next to my face may cause the bowstring to launch my glasses. It has happened!! I have been wearing smaller glasses for a few years versus larger ones I wore years ago, guess I am more fashion conscious now? 8)
So my anchor point is not as tight as it should be ! I occasionally find myself tilting my head differently because of my mentioned glasses, and because about 4 years ago I suddenly developed trigeminal neuralgia on my right side, a side affect of a stroke. Changing ones anchor point is like not clearly seeing the rear site, your shooting results vary! As I shoot instinctive, and only have to see the target it is a mixed blessing. My guess also is that the 35# bow is my future ?

Pitchy right shoulder issues here also! ars ago when the right shoulder issues first flared up I saw a PT whose husband was an archer. She advised that even minor variations from proper form could create major problems, and that a good PT regime could assist.