First 300 Savage Handloads - Model 99

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

First 300 Savage Handloads - Model 99

Post by stew71 »

I was testing the first batches of handloads for my Model 99 over the weekend in between rainstorms. While it shoots the Remington factory loads well enough for any hunting situation, my attempts to use some Varget powder and Sierra spitzers were beyond expectations.

This picture was taken before I installed the Lyman tang sight, the barrel band swivel mount, and a Montana sling.

The 4 shots low in the white are the starting load of 38 grains of Varget at 100 yards. Two others went off the paper. At that point, I didn't bother with the rest of that group.

However, the shots in the black are 2 5-shot groups, with a couple of those being 1-holers, using 40gr of Varget.

Yes....I'm very happy. :D

Remington brass trimmed to 1.865", with a Federal 210 primer.
Sierra 150gr spitzer over 40gr of Varget w/an OAL of 2.567"
YMMV, of course.

Except for the sheer fun of it, I don't see a reason to bother with any other loads. Well...except for the fact that I'll have to work up a non-lead round to be legal here in Commiefornia starting in 2018. :roll:

The next trick will be to duplicate the results.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: First 300 Savage Handloads - Model 99

Post by GunnyMack »

That'll work! That non lead ban is PITA!
I haven't had much luck with Varget. Tried it in my AR, 55,62&77's and was not happy with any of the loads I tried. Then I tried it with 308 and it gave dismal accuracy. My choice for 223 became IMR4895 and cfe223 in 308.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Wildgoose »

Nice 99! I have 300 Savage rifles but alas no levers. I have long wanted one to go along with my Remington Model 81 and 722 in what I think is one of the best deer cartridges ever developed. It has taken many a pound of venison over the years in our family deer hunts.
Maybe its time I got serious about getting that 99. At least I will have a good starting load to try when I do. 8)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I will be interested to see what you come up with on the lead free. Our experience has been that if you drop down a weight you will have a bullet about the same length with superior velocity and performance.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

saw whet owl
Levergunner

Post by saw whet owl »

Great looking rifles, guys! I love the 300 Savage.

Nice groups, Stew71. What velocity (approx) do you think that 40.0 Varget load was?
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Nice rifles. I love that peep on the auto.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

I am so blessed our up north there home is in a "Lead OK" part of our country...
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

saw whet owl wrote:Great looking rifles, guys! I love the 300 Savage.

Nice groups, Stew71. What velocity (approx) do you think that 40.0 Varget load was?
Thanks. I'll put the chrono on it during the next round of testing, but it should be chugging around 2500fps, according to the Sierra manual. It's definitely no where near max pressure. And I'll post up some newer photos with the Lyman peep and assorted accoutrements.

Goose - love that Remington 81. Always wanted one since I was a kid. Perhaps some day...

As for the lead-free stuff, it looks like the Hornady GMX or the Nosler e-Tip should fill the bill.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Congrats Stew -- that is nice!

Thank goodness I'm not (yet) in a lead-free zone. My two 300 Savages get shot almost exclusively with the 120 grain Lee "soup can" or the 117 grain Ranch Dog at 32/20 velocities (about 1700 fps) using 10.5 grains of Green Dot: these get year-round duty on tin cans. I might load something a little more potent if I ever got a deer tag...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry