OT - 3 Legged Elk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

OT - 3 Legged Elk

Post by geobru »

Yesterday, I saw a herd of about 60 elk feeding and noticed one cow that was moving with a noticeable limp. I thought at first that she might have had hoof rot, so I grabbed the binocs and zoomed in on her. Its hard to tell what actually happened to her, but this is the first time I have seen an elk with a missing limb so high up the leg and survive. The few that I have seen before were missing the lower leg below the first joint. She was feeding out in front of the herd and seemed to be in decent health.

I took the pic in evening light with my cell phone through the lens of the binocular, so its not really sharp, but it does show her condition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT - 3 Legged Elk

Post by Blaine »

Amazing resilience....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Although I haven't seen a 3 legged elk, I have seen many 3 legged deer. One of which was a 7 point buck that I shot years ago.
As long as the animal doesn't get an infection they can survive and do surprisingly well.
I'd bet that elk picked up a snare somewhere.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A few years ago we had a young doe with the back left leg one about the same area. She was here for a couple of years, and got around pretty good, have some pictures of her here some place.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Reminds me of the story about the 3-legged pig.

A man was visiting his farmer friend on a neighboring farm because he'd heard about a pig that the farmer owned that was supposed to be very smart. The farmer told him of several instances when the pig had escaped from danger or worked his way out of his pen, and had even taught his dog a few new tricks. The farmer regaled the man with the pigs latest deed wherein the pig had dragged the farmer out of a burning barn after a falling object had knocked the farmer unconscious. The man exclaimed "That must be some pig!" and the farmer replied "He sure is. He's mighty special... Would you like to see him?" and the man said that he certainly would. The farmer invited the man out to barnyard and guided him over to the pig-pen. There, in one of the far corners stood a handsome, well-developed pig. The pig appeared to be like any other pig, but the man noted that the pig had only three legs. The man stared for several moments, his imagination racing, until he asked the farmer "I see that your pig has been injured, did he lose his leg in the fire? The farmer said "No, he came out of the fire just fine but my other pigs died and like I said, he's kinda special to us, and when a pig's that special you don't just up and eat 'im all at once."

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Tough old gal! Three legged animals often move better fast than they do slowly. I've seen some three legged deer and elk. Running it's hard to notice the missing leg.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:Reminds me of the story about the 3-legged pig.

A man was visiting his farmer friend on a neighboring farm because he'd heard about a pig that the farmer owned that was supposed to be very smart. The farmer told him of several instances when the pig had escaped from danger or worked his way out of his pen, and had even taught his dog a few new tricks. The farmer regaled the man with the pigs latest deed wherein the pig had dragged the farmer out of a burning barn after a falling object had knocked the farmer unconscious. The man exclaimed "That must be some pig!" and the farmer replied "He sure is. He's mighty special... Would you like to see him?" and the man said that he certainly would. The farmer invited the man out to barnyard and guided him over to the pig-pen. There, in one of the far corners stood a handsome, well-developed pig. The pig appeared to be like any other pig, but the man noted that the pig had only three legs. The man stared for several moments, his imagination racing, until he asked the farmer "I see that your pig has been injured, did he lose his leg in the fire? The farmer said "No, he came out of the fire just fine but my other pigs died and like I said, he's kinda special to us, and when a pig's that special you don't just up and eat 'im all at once."

:wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: One of my favorites :!:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV