Anyone try Speer 300gr JFN in 45LC+p out of rifles?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

Anyone try Speer 300gr JFN in 45LC+p out of rifles?

Post by cvarcher »

Buffalo Bore makes a stout +P load for ruger pistols and any modern 1892 rifles that shoot 1700fps out of rifles. The bullet looks like its a Speer 300gr JFN BUT the diameter is .451 .My Winchester Miroku barrel is most probably a .452. Should I expect poor groups?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Anyone try Speer 300gr JFN in 45LC+p out of rifles?

Post by Terry Murbach »

YOU should expect to do the testing to find out. NO ONE can predict such results period !

And so it goes...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Terry Murbach wrote:YOU should expect to do the testing to find out. NO ONE can predict such results period !

And so it goes...
Nothing but truth, here. Although bullet dimensions varying by small degrees may mean accuracy problems, there's just no way to know if that's the case with any particular gun and load until you try it.

I never want to expect bad results when I test a new gun/load combination. Too often such thoughts may become a self-fulfilling prophecy! :wink: :)
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cvarcher »

you guys are so hard!!! LOL! I just wanted to hear if anyone has tried it before and what was their results.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The posters above are correct. But I will offer this experience. My lever guns in .45 Colt all prefer lead bullets sized .454". However they do not seem so picky with jacketed bullets.
I'll wager you'll get good accuracy with both the .451" and .452" jacketed bullets.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not out of a rifle, but they do fine out of my Blackhawk with a near max load of H110. Accuracy is good. I have tried bringing the load down, but H110 gives me the best accuracy in my pistol with that bullet at 22 grains. I measure each load with my Lee scale. It makes for slow going, but that load doesn't usually require many hits to do what is needed.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cvarcher »

hmm, sounds like they may work out ok. At least I wont have to worry much on pressure.