Starting a puzzle gun build

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sporkinator3
Levergunner

Starting a puzzle gun build

Post by sporkinator3 »

Hey all. I'm knew here and have been reading a ton of threads over the past few weeks.

I recently picked up a barreled 1894 30-30 action from 45'. Looks real nice except for a few booger marks from the screwdriver when it got stripped down. I've started searching the web looking for parts to get this thing chooching again. In the last couple days I've come along a few parts auctions on GB that seem promising. The thing is I can't identify parts by sight except for a select few like the hammers. Would any of these work for me?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/625373452

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/624570670

Thanks all.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Starting a puzzle gun build

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire..... :D
I'm sure help is on the way.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The first auction is a post war pre-64 94 action. Pretty bad cosmetic condition. I would not buy it sight unseen, guarantee or not.

The second listing is a mixture of pre - post and AE 94 parts. There are some non 934 parts in that mix too. The two firing pins in the lower left corner are broken and not worth anything.

Personally, just my own opinion, i wouldn't choose that action as my first puzzle gun. It's gonna take a ton of work to make it shoot.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Welcome aboard!
Please clarify for us, you have a receiver and NEED everything else?
If I was doing this project I wouldn't think about a used barrel, go new as it will need to be fitted, head spaced. And you know you are getting a good bore.
As for the remaining parts, new springs should be considered. Most likely used bolt,cartridge lifter etc will serve you well.
Now I'm not a die hard Winchester guy and don't claim to know everything about them so there may be others here that have a better handle on this.
Good luck and post pics when it's done!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The parts auction has all the internal parts you need and more. You could go that way then resell the parts you don't need. But you will probably get the bug and then start picking up other parts guns to fix.

At guns shows levers go for about $20 , the bolt $30 -$40 . Lower tangs $35-$40. Plus you need screws,lifter, cartridge guides, hammer. So I go for the parts auction if it doesn't get price crazy.
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

"...I've started searching the web looking for parts to get this thing chooching again...."

Help an old guy, what exactly is chooching?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

TWHBC wrote:"...I've started searching the web looking for parts to get this thing chooching again...."

Help an old guy, what exactly is chooching?

I would presume it means to get it going again, as in: "choo-choo" (train) .

Welcome to the insanity, sporkinator !

Is your barreled action complete ?

If not, can you figure out exactly what parts you need ?

Numrich Arms (google) has an exploded parts schematic online for pre-64 Winchester 94's that may be of help identifying what you need.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufactur ... -34346.htm

AFAIK, if you have missing internal pre-64 receiver parts, you will need to obtain pre-64 (and not post-64 or 94AE) parts, as there were many internal receiver changes made in 1964.

Also, Wisner's ( http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/winches ... er-action/ ) makes & sells parts for pre-64 Winchester 94's.

sporkinator3
Levergunner

Post by sporkinator3 »

Basically I need everything besides the barrel and the receiver. The barrel came already installed, pretty sure it's original given the 45 stamp on it.

At this point I'm only in ~250 for the barreled action so cutting ties wouldn't hurt too much. Just making sure I don't go throwing good money after bad. Granted it's guns so it's bound to go up in smoke anyhow.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

sporkinator3 wrote:Basically I need everything besides the barrel and the receiver. The barrel came already installed, pretty sure it's original given the 45 stamp on it.

At this point I'm only in ~250 for the barreled action so cutting ties wouldn't hurt too much. Just making sure I don't go throwing good money after bad. Granted it's guns so it's bound to go up in smoke anyhow.
I've done 4 of these... the one that I've had the most problem with is a pre-64. While some parts will interchange between eras of production, there are a few that won't. And they can be the most difficult to obtain. And...

Image and Welcome to THE Forum!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!