Nice Compact 9mm Holster (SIG 938 in this case)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Nice Compact 9mm Holster (SIG 938 in this case)

Post by AJMD429 »

In my search for a 'condition one' compact 9mm holster, I first tried a holster from 'TheHolsterStore' that was described as 'thumb-break' and the illustration showed a 'condition-one' carry, but the holster arrived and was clearly for hammer-down carry, and although they said I could 'return' it, I would have to pay $15-25 for postage, so I just set it aside figuring maybe I could modify it at some point, or sell it (it is really a nice holster, just NOT what they portrayed on their website). I was not impressed that they wouldn't pay postage for a return, when their website really didn't describe the holster accurately. :evil:

Enter LeatherAndStuff (http://leatherandstuff.net).....and their sub-compact holsters fitting my SIG-938 and other similar firearms.

My 'normal' carry gun is a Para P-14 45 ACP, that holds 15 rounds of 45 ACP and I carry in 'condition one' (ever since working night-duty at 24-hour pharmacies in the 1980's). I wanted a GUN that was smaller for more discrete carry, but was the same mechanism and carry as my 1911. The SIG 938 fills that bill PERFECTLY, and is incredibly ergonomic - normally the tiny 9mm's like my son's KelTec and my daughter's Ruger LCP kick is far more annoying than a 44 Mag Redhawk, and hampers followup shots, but the SIG 938 is easy to shoot accurately and quickly. I timed my first-shot and between-shot intervals, and it is no slower than my 1911 Rock Island in 9mm, so I really like it, despite its mere 7-round capacity (vs. the 15 rounds of 45 ACP I've grown used to).

The PROBLEM was finding a suitable holster.....I know some folks just chamber a round, cock the gun, flip the safety on, and toss it in their pocket, but I'm old-fashioned and paranoid enough to want there to be a strap of leather in front of the hammer when the gun is holstered.

Here's what I just got...

Here's their website: http://leatherandstuff.net.

Here's some pictures:

These are 'selfies' so they are reversed - but the holsters are available in both right and left-hand versions, as well as with clips versus loops, and inside versus outside belt versions. They are ALSO available for other 9mm and 380 sub-compacts:

This by comparison is my 1911 in 'canted' position; draw should be similar, and concealment maybe slightly better for the SIG, due to the smaller gun profile and reasonably high ride for the SIG (the 1911 rides very high which helps concealment but sometimes is distracting).

...and 'vertical' position...

I suppose if I wanted a bit more concealment, I could have him make it about 3/4" shorter, but I like the extra muzzle protection, and am fortunate enough to work in an environment where 'concealment' is optional, versus mandatory*.

* A few months ago as I set aside the speculum after a Pap smear, and turned to finish the pelvic exam, the patient said "...I really enjoy seeing people exercise their second amendment rights..."... :shock: :?:

We had just been talking about her kids 4-H project or something, so the comment caught me by surprise; then she said "...your sweater is riding up a bit in the back...", and I realized my 1911 was fully exposed as I turned to put the speculum on the countertop. No doubt had I been 'hospital employed' that would be a faux pas, but fortunately I don't have any Masters other than God, my Wife, and my Patients. The patient went on to tell me she carried a Khar 9mm ever since a sexual assault a few years ago. She will never be a victim again...!!!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Nice Compact 9mm Holster (SIG 938 in this case)

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice! Might have to order one for my 238.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Sure looks close to what I'm looking for my wife's Sig 938.
What seems to be hard to find is a quality IWB with a thumb break retention strap. I found one (DeSantis) for my Kimber CDP Compact and it sure took some looking! Maybe someone can explain the reasoning behind the dearth of such. I carry Condition One and would like the added security of the retention strap.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bullard4075 wrote:Sure looks close to what I'm looking for my wife's Sig 938.
What seems to be hard to find is a quality IWB with a thumb break retention strap. I found one (DeSantis) for my Kimber CDP Compact and it sure took some looking! Maybe someone can explain the reasoning behind the dearth of such. I carry Condition One and would like the added security of the retention strap.
Jim makes both IWB and OWB styles. 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I get a warm fuzzy when there's a leather strap between the hammer and the pin.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

AJMD429 wrote:
Bullard4075 wrote:Sure looks close to what I'm looking for my wife's Sig 938.
Jim makes both IWB and OWB styles. 8)
Jim???
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bullard4075 wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Jim makes both IWB and OWB styles. 8)
Jim???
See his business card in the first photo... :wink: Image

Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

AJMD429 wrote:
Bullard4075 wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Jim makes both IWB and OWB styles. 8)
Jim???
See his business card in the first photo... :wink: Image
Sorry,I was too busy looking at the holster!! Bullard
Jeff Cooper