Muzzle loading....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Muzzle loading....

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Muzzle loading....

Post by Blaine »

I have a .54 T/C Renegade from a kit I built in 1980. I'm embarrassed to say it has just been gathering dust. It needs completely tore down, and redone.....I used to love shooting it. It killed deer, and squills equally well. Shot one ragged hole at 50 yds with a RB and 90gr of Pyrodex P.....
Thanks :lol: :lol: Just what I need right now is another hobby....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

For about a year and a half the 40 cal. Lefthand flintlock, Southern Mountain rifle that Mike Davis built for me has pretty much EATEN my life..!!
I still trot out one of the 50's on occasion, especially for Table and Chunk shooting but the 40 has become my choice, at least 3 times a week for my trips to the gun club.
I find myself sitting in the corner in my office, cutting little round circles of cloth with my LH scissors :roll: (on of the best Christmas gifts EVER...), and pouring molten lead into a mold to fashion the cutest little round balls. :lol:
This is coming from a guy with an extensive firearm collection capable of just about anything from .22 target competition to Cape Buffalo yet when I'm going to my gun club..that FLINTLOCK has been the only thing I've grabbed in quite a while.
There's something especially satisfying about making good shots with that rifle that provides a LOT MORE gratification than doing so with anything else in the collection.
ENJOY the addiction..!!!
I do.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I have several muzzleloaders. Was going to build one from a Track of the Wolf kit. Found a custom built Hawken .54 at a gun show last fall. When I picked it up, it fit like a glove. Paid too much for it, but don't regret it one bit.

Accurate as can be. About once a month I get it out and shoot 40-50 shots.

I have bunch of firearms as well, something about loading and shooting-a different pace that is appealing.

Don
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Since my state mandates ".45 cal or over" for deer, and "under .45cal" for small game, I've added an identical .36cal rifle for Squills - which I plan on using this coming Fall.

Both rifles are lightweight "downsized" (compared to the full-size Hawken) T/C Seneca caplock's, with 13/16" thick barrels and slender locks/stocks.

barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I caught a bad case of muzzleloadinitis years ago and this is what I ended up with
Parker Hale volunteer rifle (early one with Rigby rifling)
Parker hale 1861 musketoon
Shiloh Sharps 1863 Sporting rifle
Erma gallagher
custom Springfield carbine
Rj Renner wesson style rifle
Custom English sporting rifle
Euroarms magnum Cape gun
Pedersoli baker shotgun
Pedersoli Mortimer flint shotgun
I don t think I ll ever recover
Last edited by barbarossa on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mike Brooks built me an 11-gauge Marshfield fowler with distinctive club butt that might have been used by my Wood ancestors in Plymouth County, Mass. Roy Stroh is building me a .40 flinter that might have been familiar to my Carolina Pitts ancestors who moved west to Tennessee during Jefferson's firs term.

walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Hit some of the local rendezvous or any back powder shoots in your area, get that blood pumping again. On a side note, will a muzzleloader fire if pointed down wind.
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

I have acquired several muzzle loaders over the years (decades!), and the one that I've tuned back into over the last year is an Armi Sport "Kentuckian" flintlock 45 calibre rifle. Bought it in my younger days back in the mid 80s, and never could get it to go off reliably because of the cheap, over sprung pot-metal lock, although the barrel showed good accuracy potential. Picked up an L&R lock for it about fifteen years ago, but only got around to fitting the thing about a year ago. Now the lock is as reliable as a caplock, and about as quick, too. English flints from Track of the Wolf are good for 20-30 shots before knapping, and after that I can often get another 20-30. Turns out the barrel is accurate, too, like I suspected; 1"-2" groups at 50 yards. All I can say is if any of you have an unreliable flintlock that has you ready to throw in the towel, look into a good quality replacement lock from L&R, Siler, or any of the other reputable makers. I promise, a good time awaits you.

I like caplocks well enough, but there is something very satisfying about a nice morning spent with a flintlock rifle.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Mike Brooks built me an 11-gauge Marshfield fowler with distinctive club butt that might have been used by my Wood ancestors in Plymouth County, Mass. Roy Stroh is building me a .40 flinter that might have been familiar to my Carolina Pitts ancestors who moved west to Tennessee during Jefferson's firs term.

:twisted: You look cute in pink pedal pushers.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote: :twisted: You look cute in pink pedal pushers.....
Yep, twisted alright. Right about now I'm thinkin'... "...put down the bottle, step back from the keyboard..." Shots are headed your way, and not from any bottle!

'Sides, those ain't pink... just a light shade of fushia! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

OK, boys, I knew the hue o' them drawers would draw me some grief. Suffice it to say I have since dyed them brown, but a friend with a database of Colonial newspapers says the color would be a fairly common one in the 1700s. And by the way, the buckle shoes a straight-lasted -- no right or left -- and surprisingly comfortable. Got them from Townsend and Son, and the hat is another fine piece from Tim Bender.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've only had two muzzleloaders... a TC Hawken in .54 and a Uberti Hawken in .53. The T/C was a kit... and when I finished with it, it looked homemade... it went down the road to a needier soul than me! :oops: :) The Uberti still, for far longer than I care to admit, sits in the safe. At the time I bought it, I could've gotten a flinter, but didn't believe I'd ever have the skills to shoot one. Got it for rendevousin', and hunting.

Won a few ribbons with it when I shot regularly...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Fuschia Ribbons? :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:

No, don't think I've ever seen fuschia ribbons... the one's I've won have been mostly BLUE! You?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
BILLYDIXON
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BILLYDIXON »

I bought a .40 flintlock from TVM. All the other muzzle loaders I have were built by me. 2 .54 Hawkins One a flintlock the other percussion. I use to shoot both those rifle a lot until I bought the .40 and something weird happened. I started shooting the .40 all the time. I even started shooting it of my deck. Weird man.
NRA Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I hunted the pronghorn with a flintlock for 25 years, only got skunked once. Fun.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Got bit by the bug in 94. Put 700 rounds through a TC New Englader in .50 Cal one spring. Chronographed most of them, found the best load. Best accuracy was 5 in 2 1/2" @ 100 yds. Haven't shot it much since. Still have all the stuff. Have it all recorded in a little journal and a chart somewhere with all the velocities. Fired a 400 gr conical and a ramrod through the chronograph one day, 795 fps. That was exciting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I started shooting blackpowder in 1968. A friend at work built rifles and shot in the Tenn. state matches. I went with him one time and was hooked good. He built a Kentucky pistol for me and then a few months later he started on my rifle. At the time it was hard to come up with the money, a G.R. Douglass barrel was 25 dollars. The barrel was 15/16ths .451 36 inch. Reckon it might be about the most accurate rifle I own. Killed lots of ground hogs and deer with and did win a bunch of matches back then.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

The .40 is a great caliber for the pleasure of shooting. The balls aren't so small that they are a pain to handle and the loads can be shot all day long. But I find it good for only groundhogs and other vermin when using it for hunting. It's too large for squirrel and rabbits and too small for deer and larger game. I recommend it for customers wanting a fun rifle to shoot but when hunting is going to be the main use it's the last caliber. My personal favorite is .50 because I can use it for deer and bear but it doesn't beat me to death when target shooting either. But I'm more of a hunter than a competition shooter. In the end it's what you feel the most comfortable with you will shoot the best with. When shooting flinters you have to have a fine tuned quality lock to be accurate also.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Been popping corn crunchers with muzzle loaders since for many years.
Started with a caliber .58 Zuoave , then moved to flint smoothbores in .58 up to .69.
More recently have been hauling 1819 (1826 vintage) Hall breech loader about. But only have had two 3 hour opportunities. If I could ever stop watching the yellow canaries that flit about our east ILLinois river bottoms I probably would have the job done.

My dad was a .69 military shooter so I got started stuffing barrels the old way long ago. No regrets either.
Have to write popping crows with a flinter sure makes the morning one whole bit more fun in east ILLinois.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ben, now remember you have to wear a kilt when you shoot that Highlander.

:lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

No, don't think I've ever seen fuschia ribbons... the one's I've won have been mostly BLUE! You?
Musicians don't get "ribbons"....Only applause. :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I was infected in my 20s . No finer filthy habit a person can have.

Am always sneaking about with a charcoal burner.

Last weekend end.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nath, that is a lovely, lovely flint smooth you have there. Details???

8)
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I agree with Bill in Oregon on that but not the bit about a Kilt...It would clash with my 7 League Boots :lol:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Nath, that is a lovely, lovely flint smooth you have there. Details???

8)
Dang thing!
It is made by Artax! Are they still going??

It is called The Manton.
It has the wrong cast on the stock so I had to adjust it some, not bending, just sanding and it shot high with a comfy mounting but I filed the muzzle to fix that.

Dang addiction!

N :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nath, I haven't heard Artax mentioned in years. I don't know if they are still making firearms.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Gonna take the .50 Renegade flintlock and shoot it all summer to get ready for the OCT. muzzleloader deer season in PA. Been a while since a played with it. If I remember correctly, .375 grain maxiball under 80grns of blackpowder was deadly accurate.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

tman wrote:Gonna take the .50 Renegade flintlock and shoot it all summer to get ready for the OCT. muzzleloader deer season in PA. Been a while since a played with it. If I remember correctly, .375 grain maxiball under 80grns of blackpowder was deadly accurate.
WOW..that's one heck of a rifle you got there tman.
One can only imagine how well it might shoot if you put the Maxiball OVER the powder..!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sorry...I had to do that. :wink:
btw: If you get a chance, try some of the Hornady 385gn "Great Plains" bullets in that Renegade. In my T/C 50 cal. they shot a LOT better than the T/C Maxiball. (90 gns of Goex 2f)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It looks as if you all are easily set up to hunt muzzleloader season in any state.
A word of caution to anyone who wants to start hunting with muzzleloader rifles. Check out the regulations. Some states ban modern muzzleloaders, and scopes are also banned some places. The sabot bullets, or belted ones, may sound easy, but they are not legal in some states.

I haven't found any states which ban percussion caps, and flintlocks are legal in all of the states which I have checked out.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

guido4198 wrote:
tman wrote:Gonna take the .50 Renegade flintlock and shoot it all summer to get ready for the OCT. muzzleloader deer season in PA. Been a while since a played with it. If I remember correctly, .375 grain maxiball under 80grns of blackpowder was deadly accurate.
One can only imagine how well it might shoot if you put the Maxiball OVER the powder..!!!
btw: If you get a chance, try some of the Hornady 385gn "Great Plains" bullets in that Renegade. In my T/C 50 cal. they shot a LOT better than the T/C Maxiball. (90 gns of Goex 2f)
:oops: Thanks may try the 385, but got a milk crate full of the maxiballs.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

piller wrote: . Some states ban modern muzzleloaders, and scopes are also banned some places. The sabot bullets, or belted ones, may sound easy, but they are not legal in some states.

Good.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Don't reckon there are many that feel like I do about muzzle loading rifles and traditional bow hunting. I know that scoped bolt action muzzleloader rifles are legal as are scoped crossbows. To me hunting with a rifle loaded with black powder and a patched round ball is muzzle loading hunting.

I don't hold anything against folks that hunt the modern way, it just ain't for me, reckon that why I still hunt with lever guns and carry revolver for every day carry.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

tman wrote:
guido4198 wrote:
I had a bucket full of Maxiballs too. When I discovered the dramatic improvement in groups I got with the Hornady Great Plains, all those Maxiballs got re-melted and turned into .490 RB. Then I found a mild RB load for my 50 cal Hawken that holds the same point of impact from 25-50 yds as the Great Plains so that I can shoot the rifle a lot more without having to adjust the sights, burns less powder, save the relatively expensive Hornady's for hunting and not get beat up from the recoil. Turns out, 60 gns. Goex 2f with my patch and .490 RB is the answer for my rifle. Your's might be a bit different...Just a thought.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

tman wrote:
guido4198 wrote:
Back when I was using my T/C Hawken, which was more than 20 yrs ago, I cast up some of those Maxie balls and killed 4 elk using them. I don't think any of those elk went much more than 50 yards; a couple were DRT. I was careful where I placed my shots, but found the gun and load were most effective. :)

OOPS--(added later) I forgot; my son also shot a yearling buffalo with that combination and it took about 10 steps before falling; got complete penetration at roughly 100 yards.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Batman, congratulations on the elk and the buffalo! Both are on my bucket list.

8)
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Thanks Bill, I've enjoyed reading your posts over the years. Are you the OR guy who grew up in Compton?? Or do I have you confused with another forumite? I graduated Compton HS & JC---way back when. :)

I was watching my son with a spotting scope from about 1/4 mile when he shot--saw dust fly up well past the buffalo and thought he'd missed at first. Buff just wobbled a few steps and fell. This was at AZ's Raymond Ranch--so pretty much a "cinch" hunt; the state maintains the herd and crops a few animals yearly. You have to draw for a tag. On the day of my son's hunt there were 3 shooters; Ranch Manager made each shoot at a paper plate at 100 yds before he took them out. Two other guys were using scoped bolt actions (.270 Win & .300 Win Mag); .270 took 3 shots to hit paper, other guy hit edge of paper on first shot, Son's shot was 2" high & dead center. Manager said, "Boy, you're good to go with that shot". My son's animal went down much quicker than either of the others that day.

I'll brag on that kid as a hunter--he has taken several big bull elk, deer and at least one antelope with archery gear. This year he got a big mule deer buck with a rifle in the Arizona Strip--that's a hard tag to draw. He and his friend both scored well on self-guided hunts without using trail cameras or hunting from vehicles. Some of the outfitters there are reputed to have up to 300 cameras out on water tanks in that unit. I think this too much reliance on technology; that can be a problem when money for
hunts is involved. I really wonder about what the surge in popularity of drones might mean for hunting--My opinion is that they should probably be prohibited for scouting, etc.

Oh, I, too, shot a buffalo from the Raymond Ranch many years ago (before my son's hunt); I was a "chicken" and used my 7 mm Rem Mag--I shot just behind the ear and the bull didn't take a step. My son had opted for the heart shot--which usually results in a longer "run" after the shot--guess he was lucky.