ok, your tight grouping flat to 100yds hot 45lc rifle loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

ok, your tight grouping flat to 100yds hot 45lc rifle loads

Post by cvarcher »

Im using mainly Hornady 240 and 250 XTP bullets and 2400 and Lil gun powder. CCI primers and Starline brass. I want to get at least 1600-1700 fps so I dont have too much rise and fall out to say 125yds. My rifle is the Miroku /Winchester long rifle 1892 . Ive had excellent groups at 50 yds with lower powered 260-282gr SWC but they are only going 1100-1200. ,Enough to kill but a drop after 50 yds. Thought about going to lower weight bullets like 225gr or 200 but then it is 45colt.Should take advantage of the big hunk .
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: ok, your tight grouping flat to 100yds hot 45lc rifle lo

Post by Griff »

Ok. Fill the case to an eigth of an inch beyond where the bullet will sit with BP... Probably won't quite make your velocity goal...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:Ok. Fill the case to an eigth of an inch beyond where the bullet will sit with BP... Probably won't quite make your velocity goal...
I've heard it told that you really can't use too much BP....that the extra just blows/burns out the muzzle....(I'm not really sure I buy that, but I don't know jack about BP cartridge loads)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cvarcher »

uh, I was talking smokeless . For blackpowder I think 40grains was the original Colt load.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

If You haven't read Pacos article I will post the link. about 16 years ago I showed up here with a bunch of questions . I loaded the Colt pretty hot for about a year . then the light went on in My thick skull and said "buy a 45-70". I rember one big starling out back,(with Colt) I squeezed off 23gr of H110 under a 325gr slug...I didn't kill it but at the shot it was launched about 6' in the air. that slug had penetrated 42" of sod . :lol: . still have it someplace. http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... vergun.htm
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

cvarcher wrote:uh, I was talking smokeless . For blackpowder I think 40grains was the original Colt load.
Yeah, when you said 1600-1700fps, I knew BP wasn't even on the radar... let alone in range! I can't help with loads that hot... It takes nearly 90 grains of BP to get my Sharps up to around 1600fps! But, that is with a 350 grain pill.

However, I was going to do some experimenting with the 45Colt in my 1892 or 1885 rifles. I looked seriously at the 45Colt (Ruger/Contender Only) loads on the Hodgdon website. I wished they had 45 Colt RIFLE data like they do in the Lyman 49th & 50th Handbooks. I had planned on doing some loads that would be in the low to middle range of those listings... for the 240 gr Sierra JHP. But... as no hog hunt is in the near future, I've just not gotten around to completing that experiment by chronographing or determining just how accurate they are.

But, just for discussions sake, you can draw some comparisons between the 45Colt (Ruger) loads and 44 Magnum loads. To whit:
45 Colt vs 44 Mag.jpg
Careful perusal of that data will show some nice areas of overlap... Generally speaking... and I mean to caution you all to get out, a specific load in a 45Colt case, will give less pressure than the identical load in a 44Mag case. Again, I mean IDENTICAL loads, from primer to bullet.

Read and absorb Paco's article referenced above. Personally, I don't need 45Colt loads in that range... I have a .45-70 for that work. And that would be my advice to others wanting to get loads in that ballpark!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
longranger
Levergunner

Post by longranger »

Accurate Mold 300 gr G/C @.456 and 24 grs. of IMR 4227, Winchester factory primed brass (I bought 1500 piece from defunct gun shop) Lyman #2 alloy.1200 fps. in my Win/Miroku 1892.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

cvarcher wrote:uh, I was talking smokeless . For blackpowder I think 40grains was the original Colt load.
Uh, Griff was talking BP.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
siberian505
Levergunner

Post by siberian505 »

I've got the same rifle. Thousands of 300rcbs gas check pushed by 20.5 of wc 820(lot#47321) with a Remington 21/2 in starline cases. Runs right at 1500. I've also shot an NEI 250 grain gas check running 1750 with 24 grains of wc820. All in starline brass. Either load is accurate and hard hitting out of a hillbilly assault rifle. It's been my snowshoe packing rifle for years. Heck of a hog killer in Florida and Texas as well.