problem with rear sight on Miroku 1892 in 45LC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

problem with rear sight on Miroku 1892 in 45LC

Post by cvarcher »

I have a beautiful long rifle Winchester 1892 reproduction but I didnt like the original rear sight .I tried several differant ones and the one I have now which dovetails into the barrel upon recoil of the shots the elevation steps drops down to the last bottom step! Seems there isnt enough tension from the base of the sight to push down on the steps to hold it. Im about at my wits end .The sight before this had finer micro adjustments with a screw but it didnt cover enough range for 50-100 yd shooting unless I changed front blade which I did. It also didnt sit in the 3/8 cut well either .I dont think the one on it now sits all the way down tight either but theres a screw that tightens it into the cut holding it. I dont want to mount a rear tang sight or a peep. Whats the best rear sight for this gun or what can I do to stop the creeping elevation steps?
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: problem with rear sight on Miroku 1892 in 45LC

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Have had to deal with this issue on an original 1892.
First.. does the sight have downward pressure on the elevator ? You may need to increase that pressure.
Second.. Carefully view the steps on the elevator. Are they parallel to the barrel or slanted so as to cause the elevator to slip off. If the steps are slanted file them carefully so they parallel the barrel.

Remove the elevator and visually see if the rear sight at the blade has any downward pressure on the barrel. You will want to increase that pressure (or lack of) so it will have the tension needed to hold the proper elevation step on firing.

Remove the rear sight and place the dovetail end of the rear sight into a passed vice. Establish a reference point as to how the blade end of the sight any curve (if any) to the downside direction. It may be perfectly straight in reference to the dovetail. Goal is to increase that "bend" or downward pressure on the barrel.

Having established how much bend exists increase that bend about 1/16th of an inch. Do so by pushing on the rear sight at the junction where it meets the sight blade. This is trial and error so start gentle and see / measure if you have increased the bend on the blade to increase barrel contact. Keep adding pressure but gently until you have that increase of 1/16th of an inch.
After firing again the elevator keeps slipping then increase the downward bend of the rear sight. I never needed that.

If the rear sight is loose in the dovetail you can peen the bottom edge of the rear sight on the bottom of the dovetail part with a center punch in an even pattern of about 3-4 peens in two or three rows. Again this is trial and error so start with light peens and increase as needed to achieve a snug fit.

Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cvarcher »

Hey thankyou for spotting my misplaced question-LOL I didnt realize I posted it in the classifieds. Old age for sure!!! Will give all you mentioned a check.
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cvarcher »

took a look at the elevation steps and they are angled upward against the rear sight blade so thats a good thing I think. But the tension from the sight body was not good enough and so I bent it downward some more. See if this holds up. But it sure is cheapy .
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Think tang sight.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!