I know many people don't care for antelope meat..but

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

I know many people don't care for antelope meat..but

Post by draperjojo »

I put a roast in the crock pot yesterday with cream of mushroom soup, cut up a potato, sliced up an onion, pepper, garlic, and then put 3 strips of bacon across the top and let it go for 8 hours. I cut the roast into small pieces when done and ate it over rice....it was dang good!!! Do you have a recipe you like for antelope?
Last edited by draperjojo on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I know many people don't care for antelope meat..but

Post by ollogger »

Its as good of wild game as any of it as long as it hasn't run around chasing does & other bucks
all day, back straps I marinate them in what ever is handy & toss them on the grill with some bacon
wrapped around them on high heat, med rare is almost to well done for me
most is ground with pork sausage for whatever you use hamburger for or make jerky

ollogger
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I've never had it, always wanted to try it though. Washington doesnt have anymore antelope. Fish and game keeps trying to introduce them to bring them back but they keep dumping them on the res and they get poached off before long.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Most antelope meat is good if properly cared for in the field and the kitchen. pronghorn is always in demand in our house and it does make good chili.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Ted liked it...lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

One of the guys in the dorm shot a speed goat (during archery season with his 22-250)and we hung it in a shower stall in the dorm.No one in the dorm with had a clue about butchering but me. So I proceeded to educate a few of them. That buck was SO rutted up that no matter what we did or how we cooked it we could not stomach that meat.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

What little I've eaten was just thrown on the grill, cooked to medium and was danged good. I think, if it's anything like deer, your supposed to gut shoot them or at east put holes everywhere but vital area's, do a half arsed job of gutting then drive around with them in the back of the truck for a few day's in warm weather, then leave them at the butchers where they eventually pull the hide off, cut them up and they mix the meat up with everyone else's, then they give you a few pounds of meat.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

walks with gun wrote:What little I've eaten was just thrown on the grill, cooked to medium and was danged good. I think, if it's anything like deer, your supposed to gut shoot them or at east put holes everywhere but vital area's, do a half arsed job of gutting then drive around with them in the back of the truck for a few day's in warm weather, then leave them at the butchers where they eventually pull the hide off, cut them up and they mix the meat up with everyone else's, then they give you a few pounds of meat.
Funny but true, see it every hunting season.

As soon as you get the animal down ( you DID make a one-shot, DRT shot, didn't you?) you need to gut it and get the hide off as quickly as you can, get it up on the tailgate or hanging from some sort of hitch apparatus so the wind can work on it. It will cool quite well even on a warm day, let it cool for an hour or so, wrap it up loosely in a clean tarp and head for town. Get it cut up and in the fridge tuit suite. We just cut up the backstraps , make the rest into jerky. Pronghorns are small, you will only get 25-28 pounds of meat. Do it yourself if at all possible, who knows what garbage you will get back from a processor?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

jnyork wrote:
walks with gun wrote:What little I've eaten was just thrown on the grill, cooked to medium and was danged good. I think, if it's anything like deer, your supposed to gut shoot them or at east put holes everywhere but vital area's, do a half arsed job of gutting then drive around with them in the back of the truck for a few day's in warm weather, then leave them at the butchers where they eventually pull the hide off, cut them up and they mix the meat up with everyone else's, then they give you a few pounds of meat.
Funny but true, see it every hunting season.

As soon as you get the animal down ( you DID make a one-shot, DRT shot, didn't you?) you need to gut it and get the hide off as quickly as you can, get it up on the tailgate or hanging from some sort of hitch apparatus so the wind can work on it. It will cool quite well even on a warm day, let it cool for an hour or so, wrap it up loosely in a clean tarp and head for town. Get it cut up and in the fridge tuit suite. We just cut up the backstraps , make the rest into jerky. Pronghorns are small, you will only get 25-28 pounds of meat. Do it yourself if at all possible, who knows what garbage you will get back from a processor?

Two good examples of how too have the worst or best of wild game

ollogger
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The key to good antelope meat is how quickly you get it dressed, skinned and cooled down! Since it's warm during most antelope hunts it's critical to get that meat off the bone and into a cooler quickly. I've never eaten antelope I didn't like if it was quickly cooled and handled properly.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Since I've been retired, I'm set up for butchering. Bought a one horse grinder from Cabelas bargain cave ( they were changing models). We're enjoying the best venison burger ever by adding about 20% beef burger into the mix. The fact that I now have the TIME to process the animals into freezer meat is probably the nicest part. My SO and I put about 150# of burger in the freezer in Dec.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

We used to butcher all our own. Here in NJ we can practically kill as many deer as we wanted. Our average ran between 35-50 per season. Not hard to do with a six month season. Then my buddy sold his farm.
As long as it was below 50F we would hang them a minimum of a week. Sometimes we would have deer hanging until March.
Always left the hides on. Never dried out either. If they froze we waited until they started to thaw.
We would save backstraps and grind just about everything else. 100# of burger, 100-150# of hot & sweet Italian sausage, breakfast sausage. Always used a mix of beef and pork fat and had good luck with Cabelas mixes.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I love antelope meat butt does my wife, favorite by far.
Yup, the key is quick field dressing and skinning. Throw it on the grill and leave it med rare. I've killed about 70 or so and all have been good.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Is antelope meat more related to deer meat or goat meat?
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

I always process my own game meat. My wife and I really like antelope. I just cooked up some small backstrap steaks last week, very tender and tasty. We like our meat quite rare. So many people seem to think they are very gamy tasting--but I think they may not be handling the game properly. I have seen some dead deer and antelope that were all shot up and left sitting out in the sun in the front of the local bar; even the finest beef cuts wouldn't be improved by that treatment. We eat a lot more antelope and deer than we do of beef, that's for sure.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

The one antelope I killed, and ate, was good. Dropped at the shot, gutted and cooled, and skinned that night. A little more of a "metallic" taste then deer but good.

Now my buddies lope, :roll: , gut shot, slow chased 2 miles, shot two more times. Glad I wasn't eating that one...
This guy has hunted around the world, still can't understand windage. 8)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have not tried antelope, but have been told that a quick, clean kill, quick field dressing and getting it on ice immediately makes for some very great game meat.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

kaschi wrote:Is antelope meat more related to deer meat or goat meat?

Neither one. Pronghorns are not related to goats or deer, they have no relatives in the animal world with the exception of a tiny bit of DNA shared with giraffes, of all things. Pronghorn meat tastes like pronghorn meat, nothing else.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Interesting. Thanks!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't know if I'll get a round toit..., but I've got a 25-06 H&R Ultra just for the chance.... 8) 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

That's what my 257 Roberts is for. :-D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

jnyork wrote:

Neither one. Pronghorns are not related to goats or deer, they have no relatives in the animal world with the exception of a tiny bit of DNA shared with giraffes, of all things. Pronghorn meat tastes like pronghorn meat, nothing else.
that's the most interesting thing I've read all day, THANKS. :)
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

jnyork wrote:
According to jnyork (Junior):
I don't where you got this information about shared DNA between antelope and giraffes, but I'd be willing to bet that they share at least 80 to 90 % of their DNA since they're both mammals of the Order Artiodactyla (even-toed hoofed mammals). I don't recall any actual examples offhand, but I know that humans and some plants share at least 50% of their DNA.

Also, though Pronghorns ("antelope" is confusing since real antelope species live mostly in the Old World, at least as native animals) are generally considered to be more closely related to bovids (goats, cattle, sheep, etc) than they are to cervids (elk, deer, moose). Giraffes (and okapis) are even more remotely related to our uniquely New World pronghorn (or "antelope").
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

jnyork wrote:
According to jnyork (Junior):
I don't where you got this information about shared DNA between antelope and giraffes, but I'd be willing to bet that they share at least 80 to 90 % of their DNA since they're both mammals of the Order Artiodactyla (even-toed hoofed mammals). I don't recall any actual examples offhand, but I know that humans and some plants share at least 50% of their DNA.

Also, though Pronghorns ("antelope" is confusing since real antelope species live mostly in the Old World, at least as native animals) are generally considered to be more closely related to bovids (goats, cattle, sheep, etc) than they are to cervids (elk, deer, moose). Giraffes (and okapis) are even more remotely related to our uniquely New World pronghorn (or "antelope").

THAT WAS SO INTERESTING THAT I HAD TO SAY IT TWICE---actually I couldn't delete it.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

The pronghorn (pronunciation: /ˈprɒŋˌhɔːrn/)[3] (Antilocapra americana) is a species of artiodactyl mammal indigenous to interior western and central North America. Though not an antelope, it is often known colloquially in North America as the American antelope, prong buck, pronghorn antelope, or simply antelope[4] because it closely resembles the true antelopes of the Old World and fills a similar ecological niche due to parallel evolution.[5]

It is the only surviving member of the family Antilocapridae.[6] During the Pleistocene period, about 12 antilocaprid species existed in North America.[7] Three other genera (Capromeryx,[8][9] Stockoceros[10][11] and Tetrameryx[12]) existed when humans entered North America but are now extinct.

As a member of the superfamily Giraffoidea, the pronghorn's closest living relatives are the giraffes and okapi. The Giraffoidea are in turn members of the infraorder Pecora, making pronghorns more distant relatives of the Cervidae (deer) and Bovidae (cattle, goats, sheep, and antelopes), among others.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

For sure, tastes like chicken! I have walked up to one speedgoat dumped first shot that stunk so bad my eyes were watering..told the rancher whose land it was on where to get it.. He didn't want it either.

Most are pretty tasty. Make great Italian sausage.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

jnyork wrote:The pronghorn (pronunciation: /ˈprɒŋˌhɔːrn/)[3] (Antilocapra americana) is a species of artiodactyl mammal indigenous to interior western and central North America. Though not an antelope, it is often known colloquially in North America as the American antelope, prong buck, pronghorn antelope, or simply antelope[4] because it closely resembles the true antelopes of the Old World and fills a similar ecological niche due to parallel evolution.[5]

It is the only surviving member of the family Antilocapridae.[6] During the Pleistocene period, about 12 antilocaprid species existed in North America.[7] Three other genera (Capromeryx,[8][9] Stockoceros[10][11] and Tetrameryx[12]) existed when humans entered North America but are now extinct.

As a member of the superfamily Giraffoidea, the pronghorn's closest living relatives are the giraffes and okapi. The Giraffoidea are in turn members of the infraorder Pecora, making pronghorns more distant relatives of the Cervidae (deer) and Bovidae (cattle, goats, sheep, and antelopes), among others.
Well, that's some very interesting information---about the superfamily Giraffoidea--I was aware of most of the rest. Could you give me a reference to that citation please? I taught Mammalogy at a big university before I retired 20 years ago, but have definitely not kept up with the literature in my field, having fun doing other things. Last I heard antilocaprids were thought most closely related to bovids. I'll have to poke around a bit. Thanks !
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Batman1939 wrote:
jnyork wrote:The pronghorn (pronunciation: /ˈprɒŋˌhɔːrn/)[3] (Antilocapra americana) is a species of artiodactyl mammal indigenous to interior western and central North America. Though not an antelope, it is often known colloquially in North America as the American antelope, prong buck, pronghorn antelope, or simply antelope[4] because it closely resembles the true antelopes of the Old World and fills a similar ecological niche due to parallel evolution.[5]

Well, that's some very interesting information---about the superfamily Giraffoidea--I was aware of most of the rest. Could you give me a reference to that citation please? I taught Mammalogy at a big university before I retired 20 years ago, but have definitely not kept up with the literature in my field, having fun doing other things. Last I heard antilocaprids were thought most closely related to bovids. I'll have to poke around a bit. Thanks !
got it off Wikipedia.