Free Hoppy Western book (PDF)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Free Hoppy Western book (PDF)

Post by JohndeFresno »

Found this online (Gutenberg Press) - Public Domain - Had to share it.
This is a PDF searchable book.

Hopalong Cassidy - "Bring Me His Ears" by Clarence Mumford, pub. 1920
Download here:
https://app.box.com/s/kchules5mht3fvn5x9esljj4o42vwavq
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Free Hoppy Western book (PDF)

Post by TomF »

Thx. I still have my Hopalong wrist watch from 1966? Maybe? Still have the watch, wish I had the box. The watch came in a slip top box, tall. The watch was buckled around a saddle.

TomF
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My mother had an autographed 8x10 of Hoppy that she sent away for when she was 10. My brother proudly displays it today. Mom passed at age 84 seven years ago.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

JohnD, thanks for posting this. I am going to start reading on it tonite.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

You all are most welcome.

I did a quick text search and did not find "Hopalong" or "Hoppy" in the novel; yet it is referenced as a Hopalong Cassidy book. It may be that this was, for some reason, a different main character in his similarly written Western novel style. I have not yet read it!

For generations, I think starting in the 50's, Hoppy's picture was prominently displayed on the leading Central Valley (California) dairy's products. It was finally removed something like 10-15 years ago; I'm not sure of the date. Hoppy was honored as the mascot for Producer's Dairy, itself a family owned enterprise of well respected church-going folks who dumped a lot of money and time into charities.

As a lad living in Los Angeles, I met Hoppy at a doctor's office. I was around 9 or 10, so sometime around 1954-55 our family doctor asked me if I was a fan of Hopalong Cassidy. Sure I was! This was, by the way, toward the very end of the Hoppy serials, just before the reruns started. In those latter serials, there was a lot of Hoppy's voice-over summaries in the serials and not as much of his riding and on-screen presence. Probably due to his heart problem, as noted below.

Doctor Broderson asked if I wanted to meet Hoppy. I suspect that Mr. Boyd gave the appropriate release, because the doctor said that Hoppy was having a heart problem and would love to be cheered up by a fan.

Digressing here, you can learn from a Wikipedia search and elsewhere that William Boyd was a rather raucous, carousing young man in his early B-Movie and Saturday Matinee serial days, went through several wives and the lot. Then when his career was failing, a TV role of Hopalong Cassidy came along. The rough Hopalong of books was quite in contrast to the character portrayed on TV and later movies - an upright, clean living, decent sort of hero.

When Mr. Boyd saw how his portrayed character affected so many young admirers, his whole life made a pivot and he himself changed into the type of person he portrayed. Having spent 12 years of my childhood among folks in the movie industry, I would attest to the fact that the majority of Hollywood stars and influential types are anything but moral type folks, for whatever reasons you wish to imagine.

Getting back to the encounter: I was of course excited to meet Hoppy. I was ushered into a patient room. I recall clearly that he was looking down at the floor. He looked up at me and I clearly remember how he smiled and his eyes seemed to light up. I do not specifically recall what I said - perhaps, "Hi, Hoppy!" I do recall being dumbstruck and unable to think of something to say. Shortly thereafter I was led out of the room. The doctor said that Hoppy needs to rest, now.

As mentioned above, I will always be impressed with William Boyd and Clayton Moore (the original TV Lone Ranger), two of my boyhood heroes who both became the good guys of their respective roles - two of the very few who actually lived what they portrayed.