winchester 1894 rear sight identification...Western Brand?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jringo8769
Levergunner

winchester 1894 rear sight identification...Western Brand?

Post by jringo8769 »

well after getting some more parts in for my projects i am test fitting everything and when i got this 1896 carbine which was really a rifle mess...it has this unusual rear sight on it...i have looked online and asked locally and no one seems to know anything other than one rumor...this sight might be a early redfield brand sight... i was told that before redfield was redfield...they wanted to be known as western sight co...so they apparenty made sights under the name western and found out after the fact there was already a company making them....they were sued and told to get back all of the sights made as they were never to be out in the public...the lgs tells me this might be one of those very rare sights...i highly doubt this tale ....but i better ask ....has anyone ever heard this?....here is the pics of what i have....i would love to hear if this is true or what the rear story about this sight...thanks in advance God Bless,John
sight measures 3" overall and 2.75" from front of dovetail to rear of sight......it has a rams head logo and one i can not find any info about...
can i use this with my 1896 rifle?....what would this be correct for?...i know it is too large for the SRC
well been seaching for some info about this and found this...

John H. Redfield started his gun sight business in 1909, under the "Western Gunsight Company" name. In the 1920s, to avoid legal problems with Winchester-Western, he changed the name to the "Redfield Gunsight Company".

Imagephoto hosting sites

Imagescreen capture freeware

Imageupload image online

Imageonline photo sharing

Imageupload images

Imagefree photo hosting

Imageupload a picture
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
The Republic will cease to exist when the government takes away from those who are willing to work to give to those who are not.
Unknown....
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: winchester 1894 rear sight identification...Western Bran

Post by JerryB »

That is a good looking and interesting old sight. Never seen one before.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JerryB wrote:That is a good looking and interesting old sight. Never seen one before.
+1. Never that story.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pretty much shaped like an old Marbles. My "edumacated" guess is that is was made by Marbles for another company. I've got some here that look exactly like it but are marked Marbles.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Do believe that 6-gun is onto something....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

In the deep dark recess of my mind I do recall that Redfield did have a prior name. Was it Western, don't remember.

Google is my friend. And so is Rimfire Central.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=488871
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

According to the book Old Gunsights and Rifle Scopes.
John H Redfield started his gunsight business in 1909 naming it the Western Gunsight Company.
In the late 20's it was changed to Redfield because of Western Cartridge objected to the use of the name.

So your sight was made between 1909 an the late 1920's.
jringo8769
Levergunner

Post by jringo8769 »

well great it looks like i got a odd ball...it looked like a older marbles to me when i took it off...well i needed one for my rifle and this one is for a carbine...well thank u all for the help and the link to rimfire too...i love to learn new history too...God Bless and so appreciate it...John
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

The Republic will cease to exist when the government takes away from those who are willing to work to give to those who are not.
Unknown....
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes Western Gun Sight was the first name used by Redfield when he started out in Denver, CO. Your sight is listed in Nick Strobels Old Gun Sight book, and he lists it as the #43 Redfield Western. Sights with Western on them were made between 1909 and 1920. In 1920 the name was changed to satisfy complaints from Western Cartridge Co.
He also made rifle versions in Models 40, 41, 42 depending on the rear blade shape.
My copy of Strobel's book is old, so values might be higher. But he lists them at $10-$50 in my copy.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jringo8769
Levergunner

Post by jringo8769 »

well thank u so much...i thought someone here would know...very cool i got a unique sight...maybe i can trade this for a rifle sight...if it would fit my SRC i would gladly keep it as i really like it...thank u so much for the great info....i so appreciate it...i love to learn all this new info and find out great things about Redfield too....Dad and his friends have used their products for years and very cool this is a early example of their work too...God Bless,John
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

Unknown....