Model 71 not in catalog

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Model 71 not in catalog

Post by coyote nose »

Whats the deal with my 1955 Winchester catalog? It has the Model 88 and the model 94, as well as the model 70, but no mention of the Model 71. I thought the 71 was made until 1958? So I get out my 1954 Winchester price list and the 71 is not listed there either! Anybody know? I have the 1958 catalog where it is not listed but I expected that.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Model 71 not in catalog

Post by flatnose »

I thought the last year was 1953.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

proofhouse.com shows it being made until 1958
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Yes you are correct 1935 to 1958. I think my brain migrated south for winter.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm sure Marketing was busy pushing the 88/358 combo as a replacement for the 71 and so they just didn't list the 71 anymore. I wonder if the last couple of years of the 71 were parts cleanup years.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Don't know what catalogs you have, but I dug out my 1955 and 1956 Winchester factory catalogs and the model 71 is shown in both. Also looked in the 1955 Shooters Bible and it is there too.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

This post had me thinking.......and that's not easy to do........I have every Gun Digest from 1950 to 2006. The last listing for the Model 71 is 1957.

I agree with Rimfire McNutJob.....the model 71 was a very expensive gun to manufacture and in spite of what some people think, it's a bulky gun. Thinking at the time was moving towards streamlining and the 88 handled that with ease, along with faster cartridges, superior accuracy, and the ease of mounting scopes.

I've only owned 2 Model 88's over the years but I've shot a half dozen others that buddies owned and every 88 had accuracy that was on par with bolt guns.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I'm sure Marketing was busy pushing the 88/358 combo as a replacement for the 71 and so they just didn't list the 71 anymore. I wonder if the last couple of years of the 71 were parts cleanup years.

- That's probably pretty close to the fact there... More than one "quietly-dropped" model never made the very last catalog, for any maker. Heck, even these days marketing and manufacturing don't read off the same calendar. Anyone care to suggest? Also, consider the potential for re-spooling if customer outcry were loudly received over a favorite model being omitted from an annual sales catalog. 'Course, back then people wrote (legible) paper letters that got noticed. 8)
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein