Remington 700 story on 60 Minutes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Remington 700 story on 60 Minutes

Post by kaschi »

I missed it but will watch it later online. Did anyone see it?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Remington 700 story on 60 Minutes

Post by AJMD429 »

I haven't watched television in 30 years (seriously), so I didn't see it.

I assume it was an anti-gun re-hash of the 700's trigger problems/lawsuit, no doubt making Remington out to be evil for selling tools-of-death that are defective.

I have seen diagrams of the trigger and the problems, and it does look like a flawed design, however.

Having said that, proper muzzle control would have prevented any fatalities from the flaw.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

AJMD429 wrote:I haven't watched television in 30 years (seriously), so I didn't see it.

I assume it was an anti-gun re-hash of the 700's trigger problems/lawsuit, no doubt making Remington out to be evil for selling tools-of-death that are defective.

I have seen diagrams of the trigger and the problems, and it does look like a flawed design, however.

Having said that, proper muzzle control would have prevented any fatalities from the flaw.
y

What cooked Remington's goose I this case is the fact that the designer of the trigger warned them early on and repeatedly (and this has been documented by his testimony and memos he sent to Remington) That there was a serious flaw in his design that could be fixed with a simple modification that would have cost something like 50 cents or less per rifle. As corporations are wont to do, Remington decided, based on their cost/benefit analysis, to do nothing, and when allegations of their actions began coming to light they denied there was any problem for decades.

This may or may not be evil, but it is certainly irresponsible corporate nastiness, and pretty doggone stupid, to boot.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Had numerous Rem. 700 and still never a trigger issue. Bought my present 700VSF about 10 years ago, and very happy with it. I turned on 60 minutes late, so missed the story on the 700 by a minute. But I went to the recall site and checked my serial number, and it said mine was not involved in the recall.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bought mine in 1980, not in the recall range. Apparently it's only ones with the "X Mark Pro" trigger.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had one of the older ones. It would drop the firing pin if the butt hit the floor hard. I passed it on cheap being very clear to the new guy it HAD to go in for the recall.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I've seen a number of the old ones that had been rendered unsafe by jack leg gunsmiths. The old Model 70 trigger was much easier to work on in my opinion.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Have an old one in 22-250, never any issues. Shoots like a dream.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a 700 VLS and it has a very good trigger ( 2 lb. Jewell ) that I installed myself.
I had a mod. 700 BDL that would sometimes fire as the safety was being switched off. That one got a new Timney installed in it. All this being done before Any recall was announced.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Pisgah wrote:"...the designer of the trigger warned them early on and repeatedly (and this has been documented by his testimony and memos he sent to Remington) That there was a serious flaw in his design that could be fixed with a simple modification..."
The simple modification I made to mine was -- a TIMNEY Trigger!

Granted, I shouldn't have "had" to do that, but as it was chambered in .222 Rem and was already pillar- and glass-bedded, I figured "why not" squeeze every ounce of accuracy (and safety!) out of it that I could!?!?

And -- it appears to have worked! (5 Shots @ 100 yards, benched)
Rem700 222 - 5 @ 100 yds (med).jpg
Be safe, and tight groups!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

They advertised it but didn't show it due to the muslim immigrate emergency
A man here in Lamar, Co. was going to be on the show, his son got killed with one of these guns, then it was told his other son shot him intentionally, who knows, it was a pretty big story round here for awhile
Look up Stringer vs state, ms
Don't know how this fits with the Remington problem, but this family was going to be in the 700 segment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

plowboy 45 wrote:They advertised it but didn't show it due to the muslim immigrate emergency
A man here in Lamar, Co. was going to be on the show, his son got killed with one of these guns, then it was told his other son shot him intentionally, who knows, it was a pretty big story round here for awhile
Look up Stringer vs state, ms
Don't know how this fits with the Remington problem, but this family was going to be in the 700 segment
No, they did show that story on the boy convicted of shooting his brother. At least that was what I saw, even though I missed the first part of the 700 story.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I still have gotten around to watching that story but tell me, which SNs of the 700 line were recalled for the safety issue? I have a BDL in 22-250 made sometime between 1967 and 1969 and a Classic in 17 Rem made in either 1998 or 1999. Hope they are not affected.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

kaschi wrote:I still have gotten around to watching that story but tell me, which SNs of the 700 line were recalled for the safety issue? I have a BDL in 22-250 made sometime between 1967 and 1969 and a Classic in 17 Rem made in either 1998 or 1999. Hope they are not affected.
Their website allows you to type in serial numbers to check. Someone listed the address above.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Being a Winchester shooter, I have never owned a Remington rifle.

However, that did not prevent nearly having my leg shot off when a R 700 30-06 slung over the arm of another hunter discharged on it's own with the safety on - the bullet hit the ground squarley between my feet!
It was at dusk when several hunters were standing around the campfire discussing the days hunt; most had unloaded their rifles before entering the camping area, but at least one had not.

Safety first - always!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

kaschi wrote:I still have gotten around to watching that story but tell me, which SNs of the 700 line were recalled for the safety issue? I have a BDL in 22-250 made sometime between 1967 and 1969 and a Classic in 17 Rem made in either 1998 or 1999. Hope they are not affected.
https://xmprecall.remington.com/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have 2 remingtons, PillHer has one, SightHunter has one. Never an issue with any of them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Just think back to what a hatchet job they did on the CJ-5 and it explains it all.

With the CJ-5 one of their staffers killed himself in a roll over by driving like an idiot. So 60 minutes set up a test that was insured to have the jeep tip. Heck, I can design a test that will roll any kind of vehicle you can think of.

But, they killed the CJ-5, and caused the invention of the wide track Jeep axels.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Ralph Nader did that to the Corvair years ago.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

One thing everyone needs to remember is basic gun safety. Tough to accidentally kill someone if you don't point a gun at them.