u,s, Army's new handgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

u,s, Army's new handgun

Post by rodeo kid »

I just read that the Army has chosen it's new handgun: The SigSauer p320 in 9mm. I bought one last year after the Oklahoma Highway Patrol adopted it . Mine is a carry model in .357Sig and is a fine firearm, but I think the H&K VP9 or VP40 are the bees knees as far as striker fired handguns go. The ergonomics and trigger pull far exceed anything else. Just my 2 cents. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: u,s, Army's new handgun

Post by Streetstar »

I thought it was an odd choice myself -- and I love Sig's , but I just was wondering what the heck was wrong with the P226 ? :lol: -- perhaps a weight issue, but more than likely a cost issue, --- Sig likely made em a heck of a deal on the plastic fantastic's

On the other hand, maybe they just wanted to go with a more modern design --- the traditional Sigs and the BEretta are decades old platforms --- but then again, look at the 1911, and its still the choice of a great many silent professionals.

I can see keeping track of all the interchangeable grip widgets and gidgets to be an armorer's nightmare for this one
----- Doug
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I have a 320 Compact (9mm) and bought a 320 Carry frame so I could use the 21rd mags. I actually shoot it better than my son's VP9 or my 228. I didn't think I would like a striker fired pistol, but this has really surprised me.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Surprises me they stuck with the nine......---6
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Surprises me they stuck with the nine......---6
Ok, help me out, here....Isn't this the Sig that can be changed between 3 or 4 different calibers? Maybe 9mm for the whimps, and .45 or .357 sig for the men....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Blaine,
I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to modern semi autos. The only semi auto I know real well is the Colt 1911. A S & W M&P in nine came my way last year and I had to you tube it to take it apart.

I'm still stuck in the Bronze Age with single and double actions.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Blaine,
I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to modern semi autos. The only semi auto I know real well is the Colt 1911. A S & W M&P in nine came my way last year and I had to you tube it to take it apart.

I'm still stuck in the Bronze Age with single and double actions.---6
I have a Glock 30S, and a LCP, but I think revolvers have more class, and I think my 2 1911s are The Berries....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Educate yourself. :D ....and scroll down the entire page.

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firea ... tols/p320/
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

It would be a logistics pain to change calibers. They'll be with the 9mm for a long time.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:
Ok, help me out, here....Isn't this the Sig that can be changed between 3 or 4 different calibers? Maybe 9mm for the whimps, and .45 or .357 sig for the men....

That's the one - if they bought the same model as the one marketed by that number on the civilian market. The guts of the gun are the serialized portion; basically an insert with the operating parts. The frame around it, barrel and magazines can be interchanged, allowing, in theory, easy switches between 9mm and .40 S&W, .357 Sig, or even the .45 ACP. It is a great idea. I'm interested here for more input on the execution though - does it live up to the promise?
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

That's the one - if they bought the same model as the one marketed by that number on the civilian market. The guts of the gun are the serialized portion; basically an insert with the operating parts. The frame around it, barrel and magazines can be interchanged, allowing, in theory, easy switches between 9mm and .40 S&W, .357 Sig, or even the .45 ACP. It is a great idea. I'm interested here for more input on the execution though - does it live up to the promise?

I've had no problems. The .45 is the only one that is not interchangeable with any other calibers. Frame size is different. Lots of youtube videos.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I wonder if someone is planning on using other calibers for special operations?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

If I was placed in harms way :shock: , I'd personally feel very well heeled with my Glock 27 .40 S&W with a 13 round magazine. Can't imagine needing anything more for protection from man or beast. :)
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Be very happy they stayed with the 9mm, the Liberals in office wanted the pistols that the little surrender flag popped out the barrel.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Spent how many of the taxpayers $$$ to select a feature-rich handgun? Where 75% of the features will never be used.

A handgun so beloved of the procurement committee that they exclaim, "it's not a firearm, it's a modular handgun weapons platform!"

A handgun carried much, but from the tactical side, rarely fired in anger.

Years, years, and more years of studies, tests, and we've come to this?

Lee Iacocco (former CEO of Chrysler) supposedly said, "sometimes you have to shoot the engineers and start building the car."

This process should not have taken so long, cost so much, and produced such an unexciting result.

Sorry, but this is what's wrong with the military today. Ditto for the F-35 program
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

As the worlds policemen, we are going to see the handgun used more and more by our military. More and more of the fight is going to be in the cities and public places of the world. A handgun could mean our troops can be armed at all times. Just a thought.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think they almost had to stick with 9mm not only for logistics reasons not to mention the large number of rounds already in stock. They also need to stay in line with out allies in the NATO community. The fact that it can be changed for other calibers and special needs is a plus.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

The FBI rejected the Sig P320 and went with Glock, but it's a different Glock, its called a Glock 19M & 17M. My LE Agency that I serve has been transitioning over to 9mm and many other LE Agencies are doing the same. I personally switched over to a Glock 19/26/43 in the last couple of years. We carry Gold Dot ammo. The difference in energy between the .40S&W Gold Dot 180gr. HP and the 9mm Gold Dot 124gr. +P HP is 10lbs. Also, our firearms training is all about shot placement---I know many LEO's that shoot a 9mm better than they do a .40S&W...just my lousy cranky back-east opinion... :)

Navy Seals: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/1 ... -glock-19/
http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2016/01/06/glocks-n-seals/

Marines: http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/m ... /23548847/
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Actually, I don't think the caliber has been announced yet, has it? In their Request for Proposal they specifically said they wanted more power than a 9.

Yes, ten years and who knows how much money to select a pistol? Our government "hard" at work.

Cat
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I won't say the caliber is not relevant, but with this gun it's very flexible.

And I'm sure that's why the committee fell in love with it.

The actual "gun" is a metal trigger assembly. It drops into a frame (with hand grip) of your choosing. Barrel, slide, ditto.

So you want a regular size grip, with standard slide/barrel, just tinker-toy* it together. Want .40? Change parts around. .357SIG. More parts swap.

Go to the webpage, they're advertising with the same serial numbered piece you can have full size, carry, compact, or subcompact with just frame/slide changes.

Ditto for 9mm, .40, .357Sig, and .45ACP.

Personally, I think it's way to high a level of complexity for something as little used and little needed as a handgun, but then again I'm not a military purchaser.

*I just thought, how many folks on this board even have a clue as to what tinker toys are?