38-55 Saddle Ring Carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pgidley
Levergunner

38-55 Saddle Ring Carbine

Post by pgidley »

Hey Folks!

First off, glad to finally join the site here. I've been a fan of lever guns since I first started shooting. My first gun was a Marlin 39a, and I spent many afternoons burning through bulk boxes with that thing. Then, my first deer gun after moving to an area that wasn't bow-hunting only, was a nice old waffle top 336 in .35 rem. Still my favorite gun to hunt with!

Anyways, I've been looking for a pre-64 model 70 in .270, and as things go, on my hunt high and low and in every nook and cranny I can think of, I've been finding some nice other guns to add to the safe. So far I found a square bolt Marlin 1895 in .33 WCF for $300 bucks :D and a english stocked Model 12 16ga that I did some horse trading for and actually ended up with cash in my pocket, and the M12. Beautiful handling shotgun!

SO this latest find is showing my lack of knowledge about Winchesters, as a self-admitted Marlin fan. Its a saddle ring carbine chambered in 38-55. Serial in the mid 500,000 range, so around 1911 ish. The gun looks in quite good shape, fair amount of blueing left other than in the normal wear areas from being carried. One tiny crack on the forestock abutting the receiver. The bore looks fantastic. The seller wants $750, which is the typical high asking price for an early 30-30 in these parts, so normally I'd pass it. But that 38-55 seems to be scarce in SRC's from what I can find. Everything looks completely original - ladder sight, no holes etc. Am I stupid not to buy this one, or is it just an OK deal. I'm trying not to hoard, so I'd probably buy it, shoot it a bit, and look to sell it for a few bucks more than I paid.

I'm located in Canada, which always impacts value, but I wanted to get a general sense for how rare these are - did they not make many SRCs in 38-55?

Thanks for your expertise!
Pat
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: 38-55 Saddle Ring Carbine

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome, pleasure to approve your post. Sixgun will likely know something about this. KirkD is a Canadian collector of old Winchesters.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Welcome to the fire. This is a great place to hang out.

From the sounds of the 94, you'd be crazy not to grab it and run as fast as you can.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the board, Pat !

Buy it ! . :mrgreen:

If you don't buy it, you WILL regret it ( jes' sayin' ).

pgidley
Levergunner

Post by pgidley »

Are they really that hard to come by in this chambering/variant? Does the small crack impact the value a whole lot?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Buy it! Welcome! Did I mention, BUY IT!?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

GunnyMack wrote:Buy it! Welcome! Did I mention, BUY IT!?
What He said!
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

The high price of the ammo scares some potential buyers off of the 38-55. A guy has to reload in order to shoot. I am in that mode ---- or working toward it.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If I was able to find a 38-55 I'd jump on it. I would spend the coin on factory ammo and reload it no biggie! I really like that caliber!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

By gum, I live in Canada too. If you don't buy it, please let me know, as I would love to get an original 38-55 SRC.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Traded for a 94 src in 38/55 last week, it looks bran new, my favorite cartridge, so I say go for it
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If I didn't have a 94 BB .375, I'd jump right on it as long as it was in tight shape.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Welcome from Wyoming!!
You will not go wrong on that gun & if you pass on it please let my bud Kirk know!!

Brad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

$750? That's about what a well worn 1894 in 30-30 goes for. You say plenty of bluing and a nice bore?

It all comes down to condition and how original it is. You sure it's not an old reblue? Cracked forend? That ain't nothing to fix. Why is it cracked? Dropped? Wood dried out and split along a grain line? There are splits....and then are are real big splits.

Sights? Any extra holes on the wood or receiver? It all means a lot and I can't say nothing until I've seen it or detailed pictures.

As anybody with a computer can easily find out information on any gun, I'm sure your buddy can find out what's it's worth. He is either stupid, rich, needs instant money, or knows the gun and realizes that's all it will bring.

Info and detailed pics are needed.

Yes, 38-55 SRC's are seldom encountered and usually commands close to double what one in 30-30 brings...condition for condition. -----6
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Glad to have you. Buy it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Welcome from a fellow Canadian, if you don't buy it let me know so I can beat Kirk to it :D :D
Where abouts in Canada?
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
pgidley
Levergunner

Post by pgidley »

Chatted with the owner today. I'll post some pics up here once his son sends them over. One thing I noticed that wouldn't be original is that it has been drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. Other than that, everything looks great. I may still buy it, but if I don't I'll certainly pass on his info to my fellow Canadians here. The only reason I'm hesitant is that I'm not a collector. Not yet anyways, with a 100 year old farm house to fix up and plans for a kid in the next year or two.

The seller is quite elderly, and in this part of Ontario, $750 is top dollar for any model 94, so I think his price is appropriate to this market.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh if that 38-55 could only tell stories... Think of it , did it shoot moose or bears or even deer, dragged along on a trap line...
Is the current owner the first owner?
All collections have to start somewhere !
Your young family needs to eat, and I'm guessing that you hunt?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
pgidley
Levergunner

Post by pgidley »

GunnyMack wrote:Oh if that 38-55 could only tell stories... Think of it , did it shoot moose or bears or even deer, dragged along on a trap line...
Is the current owner the first owner?
All collections have to start somewhere !
Your young family needs to eat, and I'm guessing that you hunt?
Ha ha ha yea I can talk myself into things using that line of reason. Good try! The current owner has owned it for 40 years. Don't get me wrong on the cool factor! I got the whole story, he shot a moose and a bear with it, and after that just used it for personal security while out picking blueberries.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Man, if this bunch of enablers can't talk you into buying it, no one can. I think you owe it to your future son (or daughter) to save this for their future.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
pgidley
Levergunner

Post by pgidley »

Here is the gun. I decided to pass, because of the holes drilled in the receiver. Beautiful old gun though! Kirk, or anyone else if you're interested, pm me and I'll send the contact info. Be warned though, he won't budge on the price, although the box of ammo and case is included.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's about what it's worth...I would call that a "fair" price, not high, not low. It's has a few issues with the wood and the receiver holes but it's still a hard gun to find...at any price. The positive points are the shiny bore and the wood/metal is not abused...used, but not abused with big pitting..etc.

At that price, you will always get your money back and in the meantime, you can either trade "up".....if you get lucky enough to find another......or make one hell of a 100-150 deer buster out of it.

I've chronographed that ammo and it comes right in at 1600 fps....good stuff.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

The holes in the receiver really kill the potential value of the rifle and the stock has been brutally sanded and the fit to the receiver is lousy. You did well to pass on the gun. The wood should fit as shown in the attached photos.

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations