A special 1886

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Levergunner 2.0

A special 1886

Post by 3855 »

I always enjoy when posters put up pictures of their lever rifles. I thought I might contribute a few pictures of a rather special deluxe 1886 Winchester I acquired a few years back. This take down rifle was very unique in that it was ordered with an extra interchangeable barrel.

Both barrels are octagon, one is the standard length of 26 inches, the other is a 24". According to research from records available at the Cody Firearms museum, only 39 Model 1886's of the nearly 160,000 manufactured were ordered with 2 barrels. Of those, probably only a fraction remain together intact. A unique rifle.

A Winchester Collector
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Re: A special 1886

Post by Leverluver »

All I got is "WOW"
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Best Winchester 86 I've ever seen in fact there is few guns made any time that could
top that work of art!!

Brad
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

That one is breathtaking . One thing for sure whoever ordered that 86 was well heeled, it had to be expensive...any way of finding out the history of it's owners?
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

:o :o :shock: :shock: :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
shortwheels
Levergunner

Post by shortwheels »

Nice gun !!!!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

shortwheels wrote:Nice gun !!!!
+1 :mrgreen:
Welcome to the fire short wheels.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Beautiful rifle !

I wonder why someone would order both barrels in .45-70, with only a 2" difference in length, instead of one of the nine other/alternate chamberings for the 2nd barrel ?????

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You and I have talked a lot about 86's over the years and by Lordy that is a real BEAUTY. :D Did you get that from the same guy where you got the heavy barreled one from?

What's unusual is that both barrels are in 45-70......I bet yours is the only one like that as I've heard of 45-70/45-90 combos......Another thing, you and I both know that expensive guns have a much lower rate of attrition....as to "disappearing" compared to standard run-of-the-mill guns but still 39! Most likely out of the 39, 5 are in museums, 10 are overseas in King's gunrooms, 10 are gone forever.......

Hang around some more and I changed from a computer to an I-Pad so I lost your last address. I miss conversing with you.

Drop me a line....... Levergun4590 "at" MSN.com

Jack
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Pete44ru

There is another difference in the barrels I did not mention (also not mentioned in the factory letter...most likely due to lack of space on the factory ledger).

The 26" barrel is of standard heft. The 24" barrel is a rapid taper octagon....something that is very rare in a shorter barrel itself. This following photo of the muzzles illustrates the relative difference in barrel weight.

This solves the mystery of why two barrels of the same caliber.....one standard heft, likely for target work, and a shorter lighter one for hunting. The inclusion of a upgraded tang sight indicate someone wanted to use the rifle for precision shooting.

I have a copy of the factory ledger page for this rifle and there is simply no room for to list any additional information. If fact, the amount of information is so cramped there now that it takes a magnifying glass to make out all entire listing.

As for the original buyer or shipping records, the vast majority of 1886 have none of that information available.

A Winchester Collector
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:I wonder why someone would order both barrels in .45-70, with only a 2" difference in length, instead of one of the nine other/alternate chamberings for the 2nd barrel ?????
Yeah, was wondering the same thing.

Beautiful gun though.

Gotta admit, the only reason I'd get a 'takedown' gun myself would either be to have some barrels to swap (kinda like my TC Encore, or my AR-15), or - just for the 'cool' factor.

I'm betting 'back in the day' they weren't just ordering takedowns for the 'cool' factor, though - was it for more discrete travel...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

GREAT rifle! You sir made a wise decision when you found that! Has to be one of the greatest pieces of wood that ever left the factory.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

3855 wrote:
Pete44ru

There is another difference in the barrels I did not mention (also not mentioned in the factory letter...most likely due to lack of space on the factory ledger).

The 26" barrel is of standard heft. The 24" barrel is a rapid taper octagon....something that is very rare in a shorter barrel itself. This following photo of the muzzles illustrates the relative difference in barrel weight.

This solves the mystery of why two barrels of the same caliber.....one standard heft, likely for target work, and a shorter lighter one for hunting.

I have a copy of the factory ledger page for this rifle and there is simply no room for to list any additional information. If fact, the amount of information is so cramped there now that it takes a magnifying glass to make out all entire listing.

Yes - That difference makes perfect sense to me now.

Thanks for the clarification !

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very nice rifle! :mrgreen: Thanks for the info on the differences in the barrels.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That would be the crown jewel of most Winchester collections ... absolutely gorgeous, and in my favourite '86 caliber. My theory is that the rapid taper barrel was for situations where the rifle would be carried all day (i.e., some forms of hunting). If shooting targets, or hunting from a stand, the heavier octagon barrel would be used.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That is one beautiful rifle 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

In my dreams ! :mrgreen:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That is just incredible. As stated above, with only 39 manufactured, I bet the number of two-barrels in the same chambering was single digits.
You, sir, own a treasure.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Be still my heart!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

That gun sure makes my 1886 look shabby.
That is an absolute gem of a rifle.
The timber is beautiful.
You are a lucky man to own a treasure like that.
Pop.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Truly a treasure. Much obliged for sharing with us. I doubt you could find a more appreciative audience anywhere.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

M. M. Wright wrote:Truly a treasure. Much obliged for sharing with us. I doubt you could find a more appreciative audience anywhere.
Yes thanks for posting that, it made my morning!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Does that tang sight clear your eye? Been wanting to add one to my browning 86 carbine, but have horror stories of them "putting your eye out" :lol: or that an old wives tale?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Absolutely beautiful, thank you for showing it to us.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Now that's a really kool rifle you have there. Purty too.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Tman

I have never had a problem with tang sights hitting me in the eye during recoil.....and I have them mounted on some heavy hitters. I would think that those who have been hit might consider evaluating their shooting technique.

A Winchester Collector
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Any deluxe takedown 1886 would be a 1886 collector's dream! But add to that a two barrel set, and it's hard to describe how cool it is! A very, very nice set!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jringo8769
Levergunner

Post by jringo8769 »

simply incredible find...u are a very blessed for sure...thank u for sharing it...
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
The Republic will cease to exist when the government takes away from those who are willing to work to give to those who are not.
Unknown....
BILLYDIXON
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BILLYDIXON »

Boy that is a sweet looking rifle u have there. A super find! :D
NRA Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

What an absolutely beautiful rifle. Thanks for showing us.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I wonder if the rate of twist is the same in both barrels?
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

veeman wrote:I wonder if the rate of twist is the same in both barrels?
I was wondering the same thing. Fantastic rifle, but I couldn't see the point in only 2" difference in barrel length of the same caliber unless they were perhaps different twist.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I love how the letter says "checkered stock", like they were just passing by the wood pile and pulled a piece from wherever. That thing is stunning. I think someone did a lot of sorting to find that gem.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

3855, Is there any chance You could weigh the rifle with each of the barrels? It would be pretty nice to know how much less the rapid taper barrel weighed than the heavier one. Thanks. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

And also, how much it moves the balance point.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

To The Top, Hope that Shrapnel see's the post. would like to hear His two cents about this beauty. :) .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I love how the letter says "checkered stock", like they were just passing by the wood pile and pulled a piece from wherever. That thing is stunning. I think someone did a lot of sorting to find that gem.
Winchester seemed sporadic on their records of special order items. Sometimes they mention extra grade wood in the records by their rating system of using X's. I had a couple 1885 Winchesters with deluxe wood, and both were pistol grips. One a High Wall, and one a Low Wall. The Low Wall had XXX on the left lower tang under the buttstock. The High Wall had the same XXX on the tang. But letters for the two guns indicated the Low Wall was shipped with XXX wood, but no mention on the High Wall.
They seem too be pretty good about mentioning pistol grip stocks, checkering, set triggers, but often omit grade of wood, or special sights.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

With the standard weight and length barrel, the rifle weighs 9 lbs 9 oz. With the shorter rapid taper barrel attached, it weighs 8 lb 15oz. Not a huge difference but the balance point does change noticibly (roughly 2" further forward onto the forend with the heavy barrel). The rifle also does not feel as nearly muzzle heavy.

We can speculate all we want....but the original buyer ordered and got what he wanted....not needing to justify to anyone else. A prize for sure in 1897. If we could only order one as nice today.

A Winchester Collector
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thank you, I was curious how much difference the tapered octagon made. I've never owned a tapered, only straight octagon. The forward weight bias is great for shooting offhand, but hunting in the thick is another story. :D

Again, that is an absolutely beautiful 86.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Had an 1893 Marlin deluxe two barrel set, and often people asked why such similar calibers. One was a 28" half octagon .32-40, while the other was a 24" half octagon .32 Winchester Special. I always figured the buyer liked .32 caliber, and by ordering one barrel 2" over standard, and one 2" under standard, he got both .32 calibers, but one lighter, and one heavier.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

That is a beautiful 1886. Like Pop Watts, it makes mine look like really shabby!
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...