Any guesses on caliber?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Any guesses on caliber?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Any guesses on caliber?

Post by Old Savage »

Announced on the anniversary of the last patent date on the Colt SAA.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If they were serious about effectiveness, .357 Sig. It's fairly easy to shoot well....Much easier than 10mm.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Anything less than the 45 Auto is nothing more than adding higher octane to the fuel tank of your vehicle. You need more cubic inches.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

$100 it's still a 9mm.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Interesting what they said about the Five-SeveN and the 5.7×28 caliber, I was disappointed that it was a flop it's neat round and a great concept. I would consider the FN57 anyhow but it's also 3X the price of the Sig 320 that's just insane for a poly. Probably also just proves they are marking it up the a... on the price.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Guaranteed it's 9mm, that way our boys in uniform can use the nato stockpile.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I'm betting 40. Very few 45s few have the combination of capacity and ergonomics they would want (although I never considered the Beretta ergonomic either).

I find it hard to believe they are abandoning 9mm, though, but that's what is says. I can't see how 357 Sig or 38 Super would be a significant advantage over 9×19 with all using 9mm hardball bullets.

Maybe they will go back to 45 though. I really can't see anything other than the big three being chosen
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

The article says 9mm or 9mm compatible (wtf is compatible that doesn't even make sense to me)

40 is dead, everyone is abandoning it.
I guess that's good for people that like it for a lot of used guns on the market but I could never stand the 40 J&R.

With modern ammo and capacities 9mm is a no brainer decision.
Ammo in 1911 s...ed you needed a 45 that's just not the case anymore either will take a horse down ;)
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I just read that the military will go to hollow point pistol ammo. Plus they want 9mm compatibility. Of course with the Sig, they can switch frames, slides and magazines to have multiple calibers too.

In light of this, I'm thinking they will mostly issue 9×19 with some outfits having 45 on the same platform.

I think the main drawback to the 40 is pistol wear. As an individual this doesn't bother me. If I shoot a 40 enough to wear it out, I will gladly buy another pistol. The 40 outperformed 9x19 for 25 years. It's still bigger and more powerful. Ammo makers finally got their 9mm to pass the test. 40 and 45s were doing it in the 90s and can probably be made to do more.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

David wrote:The article says 9mm or 9mm compatible (wtf is compatible that doesn't even make sense to me)

I guess that's good for people that like it for a lot of used guns on the market but I could never stand the 40 J&R.

Ammo in 1911 s...ed you needed a 45 that's just not the case anymore either will take a horse down ;)
Ok, I forget stuff, but I remember when the gubment was buying up millions of .40 S&W.....For Barry's Civilian Army.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

BlaineG wrote:
David wrote:The article says 9mm or 9mm compatible (wtf is compatible that doesn't even make sense to me)

Ok, I forget stuff, but I remember when the gubment was buying up millions of .40 S&W.....For Barry's Civilian Army.
Everyday I read another article about someone going back to 9mm, huge spike in 1994 with the 40 nothing to do with ballistics and they have slowly all come back to the 9mm. I think if you put the 40 pile next to the 9mm pile in the gubment reserves you would need a microscope to find them. 9mm is predominate handgun caliber of the world.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Having shot my son's Block 17 beside my Block 22, I can tell you that I can shoot the .40 S&W as well and as fast as the 9mm. Heavier and wider bullets at about the same velocity gives me pause on whether the 9mm truly can do what the .40 can do. Sort of like saying the .270 is better than the .30-06.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Will not be the nine........my best buddy, Gunny, a retired Marine DI who has two sons in the Marines MARSOC...the other brother team in the Marines MARSOC.......both use Colts new rail gun in 45 Auto. They were telling his dad.....they are not allowed to tell much.......that there are multiple accounts of the miserable performance of the nine and widespread hate tread towards this round. The 40 is great in my opinion but it is only a small step up. Maybe...but if I was betting, it would be the 45.

Hollow points? Against the rules.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not against the Geneva conventions. Dum Dum bullets are not HP.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm telling you, this metric system thing is so close to catching on. :wink:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Will not be the nine........my best buddy, Gunny, a retired Marine DI who has two sons in the Marines MARSOC...the other brother team in the Marines MARSOC.......both use Colts new rail gun in 45 Auto. They were telling his dad.....they are not allowed to tell much.......that there are multiple accounts of the miserable performance of the nine and widespread hate tread towards this round. The 40 is great in my opinion but it is only a small step up. Maybe...but if I was betting, it would be the 45.

Hollow points? Against the rules.----6
Ain't that some "pelosi"? Cops can shoot Americans with HPs, but we can't shoot the enemy with them? :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I'm telling you, this metric system thing is so close to catching on. :wink:
We are inching closer everyday ...

I also don't understand how a firearm could be 9mm capable without a 9mm barrel. So you could buy another barrel and mag but it has to be 9mm or its not capable.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

NATO treaties demand we use the 9mm.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Maybe the 22 TCM......?

Same magazines and gun as the 9mm.
Great penetration with ordinary FMJ bullets.
Very low recoil, but loud.
Barrel/spring swap to go back to 9mm.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

The United States is not a signatory to The Hague conventions or any other rules prohibiting expanding bullets. Not sure why most all military combat ammo is fully jacketed. Maybe for reliability?

Anyway, there are plenty of reports from summer of 2015 indicating the move to jHP bullets. Snipers have been using hollow points for years.

There's also plenty of reports of the demand for 9mm adaptability. The Sig is entirely modular. The so called gun is the firing mechanism with the slides and grip frames being interchangeable with regard to length and caliber.

But I've also read they want to something other than 9x19. I really don't think it will be a faster 9mm and certainly not a 22, 30, 32 or anything of lesser caliber. That leaves 45 and 40. Either is better than 9mm, more so if shooting hardball.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Just read the Wikipedia page on the XM17 trials. None of the pistols in the trial were chambered in 45. Sig submitted theirs in 9x19 and 357 sig. So who knows?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Only 9mm compatible I know of is 9mm +P.

As for a hollow point, that wont happen unless they change the rules of the Geneva Convention, which don't allow hollow point ammo.
I doubt they'll change out quickly, so using up stockpiles of 9mm can be accomplished as the slowly changed to a new caliber. But I wouldn't be surprised if they simply chose the easy route, and stayed with the 9mm.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

David wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

With modern ammo and capacities, 9mm is a no brainer decision.
Everyday I read another article about someone going back to 9mm, huge spike in 1994 with the 40 nothing to do with ballistics and they have slowly all come back to the 9mm. I think if you put the 40 pile next to the 9mm pile in the gubment reserves you would need a microscope to find them. 9mm is predominate handgun caliber of the world.
The Army might have been depleting it's ammo stores...DoD is/was all excited about the new Green Bullets...Hopefully, that will change now that we have adults running the DoD.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2015/07/0 ... mmunition/

Ok again, the US did not sign The Hague Conventions whose signatories have agreed to not use ammunition designed to enhance wounding, at least when fighting other signatories.

Geneva does not have anything to do with hollow points.

Lawyers for the U.S. are arguing the case for the use of jHP in pistols. I'm sure they know about Hague, Geneva, and all sorts of other international agreements.

Whether it will happen, I cannot predict. International pressure may be too great for those pushing it.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Who knows, maybe today will change things entirely. I can't imagine there isn't a single American owned company that isn't able to make an acceptable handgun. It ain't rocket science.

Wouldn't it be nice though if the military had to follow some of their own rules. On a recent job for the USN we had to source everything from the US, unless it wasn't available, and then we had to document that. But, I suppose the loss to the bank accounts of those making the decision might be too large if they did.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

One source said the Army ultimately selected the 9mm version.
It will be 9mm for standard issue. We are still a NATO country. Specops will get what they want. Interestingly they are also choosing 9mm.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

44shooter wrote:https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2015/07/0 ... mmunition/

Ok again, the US did not sign The Hague Conventions whose signatories have agreed to not use ammunition designed to enhance wounding, at least when fighting other signatories.

Geneva does not have anything to do with hollow points.

Lawyers for the U.S. are arguing the case for the use of jHP in pistols. I'm sure they know about Hague, Geneva, and all sorts of other international agreements.

Whether it will happen, I cannot predict. International pressure may be too great for those pushing it.
Yea, I thought everyone knew that by now.

BTW, we have already been using them, under the name Open tip Match (OTM).
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Is THIS the one.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXwgQmqp1hc.....???

If so, it would be interesting to see if they make 'em in 22 TCM, instead of just 357 Sig, 40 S&W, and 9mm. I'm not thinking that either the 357 Sig or 40 S&W is enough different than 9mm to bother, but the 22 TCM would be a totally different beast, with 2,000 fps or more from a 40 grain FMJ bullet fired from a double-stack '9mm' handgun.

As Jeff Quinn said, "One thing that works in favor of cartridges like this 22 TCM is their ability to defeat hard targets, such as car bodies and automotive glass. I fired the 22 TCM into a square tube that is made from 3/16 inch steel. The TCM blew through the steel easily, leaving 35 caliber holes. A 9mm Plus P failed to penetrate the same piece of steel. On hard targets, high velocity penetrates very well, and the 22 TCM would prove superior to conventional pistol cartridges if shooting through light cover, such as a steel residential door or a car body."
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "