Kessler Levermatic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Dave
Levergunner

Kessler Levermatic

Post by Old Dave »

I bought a Kessler 16 gauge Levermatic 50 barreled action. I got a new (old) stock from Nurmrich Arms, and they are a great outfit. My question is that in all the pictures I can find of the Levermatic they have have what looks like they have a through bolt in the forearm for a recoil lug. The problem is the new stock is complete, even with a new recoil pad, but no holes for a though bolt in the forearm. The stock is for the 16 and 20 gauge models. It may be that the only pictures I can find are of 12 gauges which use a different stock and perhaps they have a through bolt. Does anyone have or have seen a 20 or 16 Levermatic. Luckily Nurmrich has though bolts and anchors which I have ordered in case. I don't want to drill into this beautiful stock if I don't have to.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Kessler Levermatic

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Welcome to the forum. I have no info on the Kessler but I bet someone here does. :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Image Image

Welcome !

I've only ever seen 12ga Kesslers.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Welcome aboard. Had to look that up. I'd buy one in 20gauge if they were still being made or were more common. Neat looking. Todd/3leg
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Dave
Levergunner

Post by Old Dave »

It is a really interesting gun. I have always liked 16 because my father did. It will make a nice conversation piece at least. Thanks for the photos, again no one seems to have any pix of a 16 or 20. It cocks very quickly and points well. But I don't think many were made. It is the same design as the Marlin Levermatic rifles used.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Kessler Levermatic. Now that's a blast from the past!

Haven't seen one for about 60 years, or thought of them either. Glad to see you are resurrecting that old gal!
Old Dave
Levergunner

Post by Old Dave »

William, thanks for the schematic. It is a good clear one. As you can see it doesn't address the hole in the forearm. I'll keep plugging.
Mike, the company only lasted from 1951-1953. It was neat to pull the stock out of its box from Numrich, knowing it had been in storage for 64 years!
This is my first day on the Forum and I really appreciate the help.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have been looking for one for well over a decade and never ran across one to fondle. Great find!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire Old Dave.
I have about as much chance of finding rocking horse poop as I do a Kessler Levermatic BUT I'm going to try, maybe a couple made it across the pond.......... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old Dave
Levergunner

Post by Old Dave »

There should be a few around. I can't find any exact numbers but they made thousands of guns, mostly the bolt action ones. After they closed in 1953 they sold the whole lot to Nurmrich who for a time sold some complete models as kits. Both Kessler and Nurmrich were (are) located in New York so they may have been more heavily distributed in the East.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Never having taken one of these apart, I think the stud on bottom of the barrel is just a recoil lug. It probably just sits in a counter bore inside the barrel channel.
Do you have the action out of the d wood? Is that stud actually tapped?
Can you post pix of the stud?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Dave
Levergunner

Post by Old Dave »

GunnyMack, You are right, it has a stud that comes down and is threaded. It goes through the bottom of the stock forward of the trigger and is secured by a heavy bolt. That holds the front of the action and the rear of the barrel down and another goes through further back and holds the rear of the action down. If you look at one of the earlier posts you can see this arrangement in a schematic. The issue is: At least the 12 gauge model had a flat steel strip that was anchored by the barrel stud and goes forward to hook over a through bolt in the forearm. My stock has no hole for this through bolt, so I am wondering if that anchor and bolt were eliminated in the 16 and 20 gauge model maybe due to the lighter recoil. That is why I would love to see a picture of a 16 or 20 to see if they have one. All the pictures I can find are of 12s did. I am beginning to think pictures of one of them are harder to find than Big Foot. Thanks for your help. I am really enjoying this Forum. I would love to set around a campfire with you guys.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Old Dave, I'm thinking that you either,
A- have a 'new' stock of older vintage( made before they realized the recoil problem and made the forend lug on later models)
B- your are correct and it does not need the lug in the smaller gauges.

If it was mine, I'd maybe bed that forward lug just to satisfy my concern.

I'll look over the schematics again in more detail, I was on the chiropractor table reading the post on my phone...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok, now I see it better!

That should be a relatively easy inlet job!

Gun parts have the recoil pin in stock, as well as the hook, you'll have to find a screw.

I would cut the pin inlet out with a burr on a Dremel, then square up the mortise with a chisel, going easy and do trial & error until it all comes together. I'm sure this pin was just held in by fit, not any kind of mechanical fastening. You could glass or epoxy it in but if it's inletted correctly it will stay in place.

I gotta say it looks like a really cool shotgun, I've never seen one or heard of one before. Thanks for sharing it!
If I can be of any more help, let me know!

Oh, and WELCOME ABOARD!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Old Dave wrote:
As you can see it doesn't address the hole in the forearm.

IDK about that - on pp4 (Numrich), it appears that the 16 & 20 gauge stock is different than the 12ga stock, since they are listed separately.

I'm betting that the smaller bores don't require the stock crossbolt needed by the 12ga, but they might also be listed separately due to different barrel OD's.

I would suggest you make a phone call to Numrich's customer service to find out.

Old Dave
Levergunner

Post by Old Dave »

Thanks again Gunny, I have the pin and hook on order. I guess it wouldn't hurt to pin it even if the 16 gauge didn't need one.
Pete, thanks that never occurred to me to contact Nurmrich. Someone there might know. They do have all the parts and have been selling them for that model for 60 years or so.

If I do use the pin I will try to have a gunsmith contact at least watch over my shoulder.
Old Dave
Levergunner

Post by Old Dave »

Guys I think I have my answer. I called Nurmrich and talked to a very nice young lady who wasn't even born when the company closed. She was able to find a photo of a 12 gauge replacement stock (which are now sold out) and it clearly showed holes for the through pin. She compared it with the photo of the one I have and showed it without. So I guess it is right that the lighter gauges weren't deemed to need the extra reinforcement. I will finish this one up- run it by a gunsmith for some additional work and post the picture when it's finished. Thanks again for all you guys that posted, you are a great group.