GPS Unit gone bad

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

GPS Unit gone bad

Post by jkbrea »

Do use one? I have a Garmin etrex that I bought in 2006. This year I tried to use it on a hunt. The screen was just lines or partially faded out. I have used this unit for probably no more than 10 total hours, changed batteries every year, and it looks brand new. I contacted Garmin and they said it's too old to fix and to buy a new one. All my way points are lost. I know it's old but it should have lasted more than a few hours. I know nothing of electronics. Does a unit like this just go bad like that?
I'll take their advice and buy another unit...but not Garmin.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: GPS Unit gone bad

Post by Blaine »

I can commiserate. I bought a Mikita cordless drill maybe 14 years ago, and never used it much. Now, the charger and both batteries are obsolete and can't be replaced. What a crock. :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I used an etrex for several years -- wanted more "stuff" so upgraded to a Delorme. Certainly yours should have given you better than 10 hours of use.

Any chance it had some drama somewhere in there unrelated to being used? I know (yeah -- experience) that sitting on the dash on a warm sunny day is real bad for some electronics. Even in a glove box, I have been told.

And then there are kids and grandkids and all the things that can happen we don't know about when they get their hands on things....

And ten-year old electronic goodies have already exceeded their design life by nine years.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

BlaineG wrote:I can commiserate. I bought a Mikita cordless drill maybe 14 years ago, and never used it much. Now, the charger and both batteries are obsolete and can't be replaced. What a crock. :roll:
Try searching Youtube. Youtube is considered the second largest search engine on the net after Google. Someone might have come up with a way around the battery problems you're having.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I am no longer a fan of Garmin.
Training collar I have is Tri Tronics, they were bought out by Garmin. Needing some replacement batteries I got on their site for tech support, 3 days for email reply, always a long wait time on the phone. Then finally get a reply saying yes we can sell you what you need but have to call to order. Person on phone says no we can't sell you one... Oh wait yes we can. System still doesn't work right. Now I have to spend more to make it work.

They do not have a chat for support either!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd be tempted to look for loose connections:

Battery terminals (where the wires are soldered to them), and if you disassemble the unit ("may void warranty" :roll: ) look for any corrosion or loose solder joints. Put the batteries in or hook the proper voltage up somehow, when the case is off, and try pushing on the display and circuit boards and wiggling things, and see if some particular part/joint is the culprit.

If all that fails, take a large cardboard box (from an appliance, etc.), and cut out a hole in the front about 12 in diameter.
Take about five feet of string, then suspend the GPS unit so it is held near the geometric center of the box, visible through the holes. You do not need the batteries installed for this part. Then take your highest-velocity load from your most powerful firearm, and put the thing out of its misery. The box should catch most of the parts, and facilitate cleanup.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

AJMD429 wrote:I'd be tempted to look for loose connections:

Battery terminals.......
First thing I'd do is clean the battery terminals and put in a set of NEW batteries.

Then I'd start it and connect to the computer (via Garmin software) to see if your PC "sees it" so you can get those waypoints back -- I wouldn't give up on it right away... They are still "IN there", so you should be able to get them out!. Suggest you start the PC's Garmin software first, and then plug in the unit via the USB cable to see if it pops up as a "Device With Removable Storage" on the "My Computer" screen. Even if you never downloaded or connect that unit before, it should be able to work for you. (PM if you want me to take a whack at it..................)

I'm on my 2nd Garmin handheld GPS (color, this time) and -- knock on wood -- it's been great for me, and I use it for 80+ hours a year, for 4-5 seasons now. The older black & white one it replaced ran for 6-7 years before its screen got all lined-out, like yours did.

But I agree -- you should have gotten more use & years out of that unit for sure.

Knocking on more wood, the Garmin GPS Chartplotter/Sounder in my boat is still running strong too, and as the user interface and software is so similar to the others, I am sold on Garmin units. Plus, it's already interfaced to my VHF Radio so I can use the DSC as an emergency beacon. But then again, I've had good luck with them... Sorry to hear you didn't.

Good luck trying to get those waypoints back.

And for others viewing this, it's always a good idea to connect your GPS unit to your PC and copy the waypoints for safe keeping.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

What a shock -- a 10-year old electronic device suddenly won't work, and the manufacturer couldn't care less.

Honestly, I would be shocked if anything else happened. GPS units, computers, cameras, phones -- their marketing plans are all based on planned obsolescence. You may find a geek to fix it for you -- I doubt it -- but your cheapest option will end up being a new unit.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have had a lot of good luck with Garmin. Started with an eMap many years ago then upgraded to a 60CSX which was really good, it even survived a 60mph fall from a truck rear bumper!!!! I now have a Montana which is a really great unit. It does sound like their customer service sucks though!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:I can commiserate. I bought a Mikita cordless drill maybe 14 years ago, and never used it much. Now, the charger and both batteries are obsolete and can't be replaced. What a crock. :roll:
I have a Makita I got over 30 years ago, and just bought a new battery for it last fall... down in Portland, OR. One of the 9.6V ones. And that shop had everything, There's a factory service center down there also, but they steered me to this shop, as the batteries were cheaper. I busted the trigger on it abut 15 years ago, and the Dallas service center fixed it... But, if you have a Mikita, who know? :twisted: :P :D

As for GPS, I'd had to replace mine a couple of times over the years, but when those topo maps get wet, or folded one too many times, they're history, why not electronic ones, also? :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Blaine have you tried these guys: http://batteries.factoryoutletstore.com ... 514&chid=2
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Give it to a friend that is always late, at least they might have a new excuse.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I had/have two of those same units. First one I bought in 2003 and the other a few years later. One is in the house somewhere?? The other I use regularly.

Unlike cars and other mechanical things that wear the more you use them, you have to USE these things. Regular use of changing batteries and pushing the buttons keeps em in check. If you let a Garmin sit without turning it on for a length of time......don't know the length......but your settings and waypoints will be lost as well as your calibration. It happened to me one time after about a year? or so without using it.

Anybody over 50 or so will remember that when you bought something and took care of it.....it would last. Electronics and other computer junk is just that...junk......

So use em for all they are worth......they will break anyway in time.....like timing belts/chains in cars...planned obsolescence/breakdown.----6
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Everyone in my hunting group has a Garmin, and everyone in the group has had issues with them. Some have had multiple Garmins and multiple issues. My nephew and brother keep trying to talk me into buying a Garmin, as I'm the lone hold out. But then my nephew told me how he wanted to get his fixed after warranty, and they told him he needed a new one, and he could trade in his old defective Garmin towards the new one. He did so, and then the new one gave him headaches during hunting season last fall. So now it's going back for repair, and since it's new it will be OK to repair.
But since they upgrade every few years, and make older Garmins obsolete, it seems like a vicious circle to continually have to trade in and upgrade every time your Garmin fails. And considering how often they fail, it sure doesn't encourage me to get caught up in the whole fiasco! I'll stick with my hand held CB radio, until they're closer to 100% reliable, and service their GPS for longer than a few years!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

walks with gun wrote:Give it to a friend that is always late, at least they might have a new excuse.
You win the forum today. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

AJMD429 wrote:I'd be tempted to look for loose connections:

Battery terminals (where the wires are soldered to them), and if you disassemble the unit ("may void warranty" :roll: ) look for any corrosion or loose solder joints. Put the batteries in or hook the proper voltage up somehow, when the case is off, and try pushing on the display and circuit boards and wiggling things, and see if some particular part/joint is the culprit.

If all that fails, take a large cardboard box (from an appliance, etc.), and cut out a hole in the front about 12 in diameter.
Take about five feet of string, then suspend the GPS unit so it is held near the geometric center of the box, visible through the holes. You do not need the batteries installed for this part. Then take your highest-velocity load from your most powerful firearm, and put the thing out of its misery. The box should catch most of the parts, and facilitate cleanup.
That's pretty much what I told their customer service. Oh well. :roll: I needed one with a bigger screen. Somehow this one shrank and is hard to read. :shock:
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Blane, if you take the old battery in to Battery Mart they will rebuild it. They cut it open and replace the cells. Their rebuild has given better service than the original batteries in a couple of cases for me.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

buy a tomtom> I use mine on a regularly basisand keep updated on maps. I use mine in the car. so far , so good no problems.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

rossim92 wrote:buy a tomtom> I use mine on a regularly basisand keep updated on maps. I use mine in the car. so far , so good no problems.
A Tomtom might tell you where you are, but wont tell you where your hunting partners are, and wont allow radio communication with anyone.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

marlinman93 wrote:
rossim92 wrote:buy a tomtom> I use mine on a regularly basisand keep updated on maps. I use mine in the car. so far , so good no problems.
A Tomtom might tell you where you are, but wont tell you where your hunting partners are, and wont allow radio communication with anyone.
I know , I know, It is not a hunting gps ,but a road gps. Just stating my opinion of a manufacturers product.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

rossim92 wrote: I know , I know, It is not a hunting gps ,but a road gps. Just stating my opinion of a manufacturers product.
I've had a Garmin GPS in my vehicle for some time, and their vehicle GPS's are not the same quality or lack of quality, that their hand held hunting units are. Mine has been trouble free, and no issues at all; unlike the hunting units. I love that mine is voice controlled also, so I can keep my hands on the wheel and tell it where I want to go. A very nice feature.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Would not surprise me that one or more of the caps have dried out. That was a major problem for many makers of electronics around the world during that period. They were cheap knock offs that were not made properly deliberately.

If you do decide to run that suggested impact test, please post the video!
Pierre
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Apropos of nothing, perhaps, I just read where a satellite launched in 1964 is still working just fine. Gotta love those vacuum tubes. 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV